Fortresses

Skibbi

Prince
What do you think of the fortress? Is it best for a continous line of defense around are borders or for strongholds to make use of Zone of Control and last ditch stands?
I use it for defensive lines.

I'm usually on offense most of the game... The time I usually build fortresses is when I've lost. Citadels on the other hand. :c5angry:

how do fortresses work exactly? ive been looking to use them
what's the upkeep like ?
and do they work like citadels and do damage to enemies in adjacent tiles?

They give half the bonus of a citadel but not the damage.

I tried using them to close the gaps in a mountain range - but, as ever I went on the offense long before mf forts came into use. The only annoying thing was that I didnt see how I coudl remove them afterwards, also I couldnt see what the upkeep cost was.

I usually play defensive game with slight expansion, so citadel is very important in my case.

Like the map earth(map size - Huge), I citadel comes in handy around the mountainous part of Asia, the one above India and between South East Asia and China. There are many narrow passageway(1 tile), allowing great defensive position. With addition of the citadel, it makes my defend more effectively.

They are also a handy way of destroying those pesky wheat improvements around puppets.

They would be good if you could build them in neutral territory but as they stand I never use them. I'd rather get the tile improved and giving greater output.

Fortresses are only built in two circumstances:

1. playing tall in the mid/late game as insurance on your borders, past where you can access the tiles anyways.
2. forming a circle around citadels to create a nearly impenetrable defense.

There were only a few times I built any fortresses... Usually when I'm desperate.... Push the enemy out as far as I can. Get a peace treaty followed very closely by a heavily defended coastal or mountain pass line of forts.

Sometimes use fortresses if I've got time for my workers to kill and want to make it harder for an opponent to invade but don't want to plan an offensive war with that opponent for a while. Find myself doing this less and less, though. If I'm not losing and have time to do this, then I'm wasting resources that should be going toward winning more quickly.

One strategy I really like for fortresses is building two of them in front of whatever city youre trying to defend from enemies - forming a triangle if you will. Obviously if its a hill or a river tile its not worth a fortress. But up until fertilizer I rarely use any non hill tiles that arnt rivers. I play Rome quite a bit and I love this tactic when I have a few legions sitting around. Vast majority of games its not that useful, but every now and then someone bites you in the ass on some frontier with an army you werent expecting. Having two melee units in forts in front of a city with a ranged unit can greatly increase that cities life expectancy.

Doesnt help hugely but certainly adds a little layer of defense to your cities. Ive never been a fan of the concept of building huge lines of forts on your borders... if you have that kind of fire power to fortify an entire border region, you have enough fire power to be on the offensive rather than the defensive... also it almost always makes sense to fight a defensive war within range of your cities (i havnt played much with the latest patch though.)

I use them with citadels to form a line across my border in multiplayer.

i find them useful in OCC games, because you'll be on the defensive, and your cultural borders will spread past 3 tiles pretty quickly. rarely build them otherwise.

They are also a handy way of destroying those pesky wheat improvements around puppets.

Oh, I should have added - I don't actually build the things, just start them for a turn to destroy the wheat. Then they carry straight on spamming trading posts.

i only build them in the 4th or 5th ring. they rarely provide a benefit for me and i play mostly defensive games. at best they give my workers something to do while i wait for oil, aluminum or uranium to be revealed. if the fortress conveys something to the AI trying to attack me that's fine but i dont know if it has any affect on their decisions.

but using them to destroy existing improvement for 1 turn in puppets is certainly a good idea though.

Lets say an Infantry attacks a fortified Rifleman in a fortress.
It will be close to 10 damage done to the Rifleman!

Top Bottom