Fox-02 -- Praying to the RNG God

(b) is out. As footnoted in "[4] The unit must be identified in the begining".

(c) should be possible with enough cats. All you have to do is to pick a city with 5-6 defenders, suicide a few cats into it, and let Luck-17 clean up 4 weakened defenders in 4 turns. If need to, you can even allow Lucky-17 to heal one turn in between, using the full 8 turn. Just puts a few medics with him, and necessary suiciding one or two cats to weaken healed defenders again.

Of-course, if you had no cats, all this is moot :D

-

remember how quickly units heal in their own cities. Weakening 5 units on the first turn, then bringing in lucky might not be good. Lucky can only attack once per turn. By the time he gets to the third turn, every available defender will be healthy again.

It is the year 1700 AD. The great Empire of the Random Minions has drifted from leader to leader for nearly 6000 years. In all of this time they have been driven by a humbling awe at the unknowable mechanisms that drive this often brutal universe mixed with a persistent desire to bring themselves closer to their God through doing what they are told is his bidding.

Scripture is visited upon them through the tossing of bones in the High Palace of Moscow. The people have yet again tossed out their leader for not doing their Lord and Master's bidding quickly enough. They have a saying in Moscow, 'Toss the dice, or Toss the King. Whatever it takes to satisfy the Lord'.

Thrust into power was a young man from the southern wilds of the empire. His name was Paul, and he was given a seemingly impossible task: Take a wounded soldier and make him great. Have him singlehandedly lead armies into glorious victory. Not only must heathen blood be shed. But it must be done by this one man. A man named Lucky.

OK. The situation doesn't look promising. We have 3 cats in the area, and one medic. If I move Lucky and the Medic together, Lucky takes 4 turns to heal up. With 4 points needed, I'd say we can't afford him half of the turns to heal, considering he's also 4 moves from Madrid. Zaragoza is only 1 move away, but holds only 2 units and is on a hill. Boy, this looks bad. I start Lucky healing and consider my options. Maybe Sweet Lady Pouty Pants will make a move and I can squish some Spaniards on open ground. We'll see. Meantime, I'll continue the pillage efforts and do some MMing.

We have a Prophet in Moscow, but are due another GP in 1 turn. Great Scientist leads the odds at over 45%, in which case I'll start a Golden Age as we have all the shrines we can have.

Once a few tiles are switched here or there, we're running 70% science @ -11gpt with Chemistry due in 4. Not bad, healthy bank account. Things are looking up since last I ruled.

PRESS ENTER ALREADY.

Turn 250 (1700 AD - Inherited Turn)
St. Peter (Great Prophet) born in Moscow
St. Petersburg finishes: University
Antium finishes: Market
Bombay grows: 8

Son of a... another Prophet? Dang it. Make him a super priest in Moscow for 2 hammers, 5 gold and 3 beakers. He kicks ass for God.

Turn 251 (1705 AD)
Archer promoted: City Garrison II
Spearman promoted: Woodsman I
Swordsman promoted: Combat I
Knight promoted: Pinch <--- what is this?
Crossbowman promoted: Guerilla I
Crossbowman promoted: Drill I
St. Petersburg begins: Cossack
Antium begins: Barracks

Some further looking at the situation in Spain indicates it is NOT good. Isabella isn't wandering around with weak troops. She isn't wandering around with ANY troops. We appear to be screwed.

Rostov grows: 12
Rostov finishes: Cossack
Bangalore grows: 9
Delhi grows: 9
Rome finishes: Library

Turn 252 (1710 AD)
Rostov begins: Catapult
Rome begins: University

OH BABY. This could be the break we've needed:

2 moderate units, not on a hill, no walls and within 1 tile of Lucky and the rest of the gang. STOP THE MARCH TO MADRID. WE HAVE A NEW TARGET.

Rostov finishes: Catapult
Delhi finishes: Cossack

Turn 253 (1715 AD)
Rostov begins: Cossack
Delhi begins: Catapult
Cossack promoted: Combat I
Catapult promoted: Barrage I

Do some bombarding of Pamplona.

Tech learned: Chemistry
Delhi finishes: Catapult
Antium finishes: Barracks
Maceman loses to: Spanish Conquistador (8.50/10)

IBT Isabella attacks a loose mace with a Conq. Mace was on a hill, but still lost. Dang. On the upside, maybe he's banged up enough for Lucky to take a pop at.

Turn 254 (1720 AD)

Here's something interesting back home:

Tech learned: Drama
Calcutta finishes: Christian Missionary

Turn 255 (1725 AD)

OK. Time for some action. I'm going to try to soften the 2 defenders in Pamplona up enough for Lucky to take them out without much risk. He's healed a bit, but not much, so this could be dicey, but I'm running out of time.

There's a longbowman and a spearman, both 6/6. The longbowman is City Garrison I, the pike is Combat II. Fun.

First I take on the Longbow with cats, softening the pike with collateral and hoping one of them with scratch the bow.

Catapult loses to: Spanish Longbowman (6.00/6)
Catapult loses to: Spanish Longbowman (6.00/6)

Pikeman: 4.9/6

Ouch. OK, find our worst odds from the stack and send him in.

Axeman loses to: Spanish Longbowman (3.96/6)

Better. Get 95.3% for Lucky. Do it.

Maceman defeats (0.32/8): Spanish Longbowman

HE GOT 2 XP PEOPLE! 15/17. We MIGHT be a show. Sadly, his 0.32/8 indicates that this show might close early in spectacular failure, but we can only try.

Moscow finishes: Cossack
Rostov finishes: Cossack
Yaroslavl' finishes: Observatory
Bombay finishes: Galleon

Turn 256 (1730 AD)
Moscow begins: Cossack
Rostov begins: Catapult
Yaroslavl' begins: Barracks
Bombay begins: Forge

I land some more troops on Spicy Spanish Soil. Lucky heals up as best he can before the big Turn 8 - Turn of Destiny.

St. Petersburg finishes: Cossack
Madras finishes: Cossack

Turn 257 (1735 AD)
St. Petersburg finishes: Catapult
Rostov finishes: Catapult
Bangalore finishes: Cossack
Calcutta finishes: Christian Missionary
Antium grows: 8
Antium finishes: Library

Interesting. Pamplona has been reinforced.

Will bombard and launch the final attack next turn. This could go either way. I'll need to weaken the units but not kill them. Sadly, I can't tell the units to withdraw from a winning position, so I need to find the WORST odds in my stack rather than the best. Very counter intuitive. I feel dirty.

Meantime I'm going to take out the 2 toughest defenders, leaving the weakie for Lucky.

Maceman defeats (4.88/8): Spanish Longbowman <--- IPM
Crossbowman defeats (5.04/6): Spanish Pikeman

Job done.

Maceman defeats (4.16/8): Barbarian Longbowman

IBT a barb longbow chooses to attack us rather than the new English city that was stupid enough to settle 1 tile outside of our border. Thanks for the culture flipped present, Vicky.

Turn 258 (1740 AD) - THE TURN OF DESTINY

Another Spanish Catapult arrives, but is on a hill and gives worse odds than the one in the bombarded Pamplona. This is it. Time to kill all bar the softest defender. The city has:

Catapult - 5.0/5 - Combat I

My worst odds are on a cat. I send the brave souls to almost certain destruction (31%).

Catapult loses to: Spanish Catapult (2.15/5)

OK. Not bad. Here's the picture.

Will he survive?

If so, how much experience will he earn?

THIS IS IT, LUCKY BOY. TIME TO LIVE UP TO YOUR NAME :mad:

Maceman defeats (0.64/8): Spanish Catapult
Razed Pamplona

YES! Lucky survived, now... the moment of truth, his experience...

And now we are so happy, we do the dance of JOY!

Da da da da da-da... da da da da! Hey!

You know, I actually didn't think I'd make it. That was some incredible luck getting 2 xp each time. Do you get more xp the more you get wounded in battle? Maybe that's how he managed it. Either way, I'm damned happy with that!

OK, enough of that. RNGod appeased! And on the last available turn. Phew. I need a dice rolling interlude.

DICE ROLLING INTERLUDE

Die 1: 6
Die 2: 4

6 * 4 = 24! - Learn a technology that allows a new unit.

Well, we're 2 turns away from Steel (which among other things allows cannons), and I'm 2 turns away from the end of my turnset, so why don't we just stick with that and I'll roll again before I leave.

And yes, I did consider delaying things to give us a break, but that would be awfully gamey, and I figure when the RNGod wants, he wants NOW.

Cossack defeats (16.20/18): Spanish Catapult
Moscow grows: 17
St. Petersburg grows: 15
Delhi finishes: Cossack
Caravel loses to: Spanish Caravel (1.20/3)

IBT lost a caravel that must have been on auto-scout because I never saw him :smoke:

Turn 259 (1745 AD)
Delhi begins: Theatre
Lucky 17 (Maceman) promoted: City Raider III
Cossack promoted: Flanking I

Tech learned: Steel
Madras grows: 9
Delhi finishes: Theatre
Antium finishes: Theatre
Bombay grows: 9

Time for another brief dice rolling interlude.

DICE ROLLING INTERLUDE II

Die 1: 3
Die 2: 4

3 * 4 = 12! - Spread any religion to 3 cities.

Well, considering I'm already spreading Christianity, I can manage that. Awww, he's gone all peaceful on us!

Turn 260 (1750 AD)
Research begun: Printing Press
Delhi begins: Christian Missionary
Antium begins: Christian Missionary
Maceman defeats (4.16/8): Barbarian Axeman

Now there are no beakers invested in Printing Press, but I think it's probably the best option for us what with the boost in Town Commerce.

Anyhoo, next players have an ample 29 turns to spread Christianity to 3 cities, and I've got some missionaries under construction. Good luck!

Oh, and kill the Spaniards for me would you. I really hated not to march our Stack of UltraDoom through Madrid :mad:

Wow! Two objectives in a row met at the last-minute. Congrats to all! Happy, happy, joy, joy </stimpy>.

A note on Lizzy's new city in random lands. We want to keep it around for convenience against random warring-type objectives.

Great turnset omni_paul :D
I didn't think we'd make it with all the bad odds we were having but they don't call him Lucky for nothing.

Seems like the RNG God thinks we can use some 'us-time'. A time for consolidation, prayer and reflectance of the wise lessons that have been taught. He has shown us the way and we have not failed him. Let us bow our heads and hail praise to our Lord and saviour, think of all the beloved we have lost, and the sacrifices we and they had to make, and ponder how futile war really is...

Before marching on that spannish ***** and wipe that heathen of the face of the planet!

Seems like the RNG God thinks we can use some 'us-time'. A time for consolidation, prayer and reflectance of the wise lessons that have been taught. He has shown us the way and we have not failed him. Let us bow our heads and hail praise to our Lord and saviour, think of all the beloved we have lost, and the sacrifices we and they had to make, and ponder how futile war really is...

You're forgetting, n0xie, that Fox already proved that RNGod is male. Replace "us time" and some of that other feminine-sounding girly stuff with "couch time", "pub time", "R&R", or some other guy-appropriate content.

Before marching on that spannish ***** and wipe that heathen of the face of the planet!

Yeah, yeah, yeah! What he said! KIIIIIIIIIIIIILLLLLLLLLL!:aargh: :ar15: :ninja: :strength:

Well played, paul!!! Another 30th turn objective met, and a 2 turn objective? You set a almost unbreakbale record of shortest time required to meet RNGod's assignement! He Who Is Random must be smiling at you favourably.

All hail the RNGod! :worship:

--

RNGod's Assignments Thus Far
- Seek the RNG God: Started 4000BC, Completed 3240BC, 19 turns.
- 3x1: Learn Wonder-Enabling Tech: Started 3240BC, Completed 2280BC, 24 turns.
- 4x6: Learn New-Unit Tech: Started 2280BC, Completed 1800BC, 11 turns.
- 1x5: Get Something for Free: Started 1800BC, Failed (Punishment: 2: Whip all cities).
- 5x4: Capture City w New Resources: Started 600BC, Completed 25BC, 25 turns.
- 2x3: Capture or Found 3 more Cities: Started 0AD (or is it 0BC?), Completed 580AD, 24 Turns.
- 4x4: Capture 3 Cities from 3 Civs: Started 580AD, Failed (Punishment: 5: Declare war on most powerful Civ).
- 6x1: Capture or Found 3 more Cities: Started 1100AD, Completed 1280AD, 19 turns.
- 5x5: Capture City with World Wonder or Shrine: Started 1280AD, Completed 1370AD, 8 turns.
- 4x1: Kill N*5=30 Enemies: Started 1370AD, Completed 1585AD, 30 turns.
- 3x6: Add 10 XP to a Unit (named: Lucky-17): Started 1590AD, Completed 1740AD, 30 turns.
- 4x6: Learn New-Unit Tech: Started 1740AD, Completed 1745AD, 1 turn.
- 3x4: Spread any religion to 3 cities: Started 1745AD, Yet to Complete, 3 more cities & 29 turns Remaining.

Roster
-- GreyFox == On Deck
-- Dantski
-- rex_tyranus
-- omni_paul == Back to the Temple
-- n0xie == UP (1.61)

-- mucco == autoskip until computer is healthy again

-

Well this is going to be a pretty boring report since the game most ofl my screenies :(

Anyway, enter a new era. All Hail n0xie, teh WARmonger. The war is upon us. Or rather, the war is upon that cow Isabella. I look around and we got cossacks. That's all I need to know. Too late in the game for MM. I just put every and any city on cossack build. You can never have too many cossacks. Never. Ever.

We have an army standby. Good. I just need to get some more cannons and catapults so the wimps don't hide behind their city walls then it's all out war. All our enemies... euhm I mean 'other civs' are on this continenet and all will fall to our mighty cossacks, one at a time of course. But first things first. We'll use that spanish ***** as xp leverage.

Now we have an objective by the RNG. I hit F1 and I see 3 christian missionaries in the making. Excellent :D

So here we go:
Turn 260 (1750 AD)
Moscow finishes: Cossack -> Cossack
Bangalore finishes: Barracks -> Cossack
Madras finishes: Barracks -> Cossack

Turn 261 (1755 AD)
St. Petersburg finishes: Cannon -> Cannon
Yaroslavl' finishes: Barracks -> Cossack
Antium finishes: Christian Missionary -> Cossack

You guys beginning to see a patern here? ;)

Turn 262 (1760 AD)
Delhi finishes: Christian Missionary -> Cossack
I send the missionary to Madras while using the cossacks on the other continent to pillage anything and everything. Moving the army closer to Zaragoza for some free xp. Don't want to get hit in the back while advancing towards Madrid

Turn 263 (1765 AD)
Research begun: Replaceable Parts
Cossack defeats (11.88/18): Spanish Pikeman
Captured Zaragoza (Isabella)
Razed Zaragoza
Well that was Zaragoza. Don't think we'll take any hostages on this continent. I had a nice screenie but alas...
In other news:
2 more to go

Turn 264 (1770 AD)

Romans apparently don't like Isabella either :mischief:
St. Petersburg finishes: Cannon -> Cossack
Bangalore finishes: Cossack -> Cossack

Only one more city to go. Darnit the last missionairy is build in some backward city. Wasn't paying attention. Switch a fast building city to a missionairy. My bad :blush:

Move the healed army towards Madrid. This is going to take a while...

Turn 265 (1775 AD)
Moscow finishes: Cossack -> Cossack
Rostov finishes: Cossack -> Cossack
Bombay finishes: Forge -> Barracks
Calcutta finishes: Christian Missionary -> Cossack
There he is. :) It takes 4(!) turns to get to Moscow *sigh* No Quick pleasing the RNG god for me...

BUT not all screenshots are lost:

Golden Age begins
Novgorod finishes: The Taj Mahal -> Westpoint

Woohoo GA. Even more Cossacks :D

Turn 266 (1780 AD)
Research begun: Rifling
Our science is pretty good considering we're at 70%. Not that it matters much any more :p
St. Petersburg finishes: Cossack -> Cossack
Delhi finishes: Cossack -> Cossack

... skip 3 turns building more cossacks and moving army to Madrid while pillaging all his land: our economy depends on it.

Turn 269 (1795 AD)
Our army are on the outskirts of Madrid. It's silent around us. Our forward patrole forces have burned every farm and village in sight, cutting of the wench's supplies. We'll get her yet. In the silence of the night a baby cries. Then suddenly all hell breaks loose when balls of fire start flying to the sky and an eerie single thunderclap can be heared. The soaring burning boulders hit the walls hard. The citizens of Madrid shiver. Could this be it? Is this the end? Hours of barrage pass and all they can do is wait... At the dawn of morning they slowly open their eyes. The wall HELD! The citizens rejoice. Untill they climb the wall and see the massive army waiting outside. But for today, they're safe...

*grmbl* 105% defense *grmbl*

Anyway our last missionairy FINALLY arrives at Moscow. If he fails I'm going to kill someone. Seriously.

Objective successful. Time to roll the dice. And as per tradition, I'll let Greyfox take care of that :)

Geez, we are walking all over this game.

Nice turnsets, n0xie, and damnit, you could roll dice once in a whil :)

Abt all those pillaging, nice job, cleaning the pouting lady, but aren't we going to keep at least one city?

Got it, and will play soon.

- 1x5: Get Something for Free: Started 1800BC, Failed (Punishment: 2: Whip all cities).
- 2x3: Capture or Found 3 more Cities: Started 0AD (or is it 0BC?), Completed 580AD, 24 Turns.
- 4x4: Capture 3 Cities from 3 Civs: Started 580AD, Failed (Punishment: 5: Declare war on most powerful Civ).
- 6x1: Capture or Found 3 more Cities: Started 1100AD, Completed 1280AD, 19 turns.
- 5x5: Capture City with World Wonder or Shrine: Started 1280AD, Completed 1370AD, 8 turns.
- 3x6: Add 10 XP to a Unit (named: Lucky-17): Started 1590AD, Completed 1740AD, 30 turns.
- 3x4: Spread any religion to 3 cities: Started 1745AD, Completed 1795AD, 10 turns.

We'd completed most of our task recently, under the benovalence guidance of He Who Is Random. All hail the RNGod! :worship:

--

Roster
-- GreyFox == Praying
-- Dantski == By the Pedestal
-- rex_tyranus
-- omni_paul
-- n0xie == Back to the Temple

-- mucco == autoskip until computer is healthy again

Barcelona is holy city for two religions. Keep that and Madrid.

Edit: Oh, and excellent turns, n0xie. Next up might want a few cannons to go with the 112 Cossacks n0xie just built. 105% defense might take a while to crack with a few cats.

After an hour of fasting followed by yet another hour of praying,

GreyFox rolled the dice, and receive His Random Holiness latest task:

Code:
  5   2/36   Get something for free [3] from other Civ

Hmmm ... does pillaging count? Does capturing city count? Does capturing workers count? :mischief: If so, I would have broken paul's 1 turn record and set a unbreakable 0-turn record!!!

Let's hear from the team!

--

- 3x4: Spread any religion to 3 cities: Started 1745AD, Completed 1795AD, 10 turns.
- 5x1: Get Something for Free: Started 1795AD, Yet To Be Completed, 30 turns Remaining.

-

In a word, no.

Ammendment: First of all, it's your SG, do whatever you'd like. That said, pillaging is too easy. How 'bout if you capture a (non-barb) city before losing another troop (anywhere on the continent) then it's considered free. My $0.02. I'm expecting to be told to go to hell.

Top Bottom