France

I agree it's overpowered. I don't even think the GWAM bonus should be replaced with anything, the reward of +% Culture and Production is more than enough considering you already get a strong combat bonus in the UA and your UI is good enough you can consider peace. I think Musketeers are fine however, they're late in the game so they should be strong and a pain to deal with. Anyway, the UA's war assistance is too considerable to have +60% Prod/Culture + free GWAMs, especially considering the UI's existence. Some civs are looking pretty sad in comparison.

How is it overpowered ? compared to which civs ? is France so strong that it needs to be nerfed ?

Hey China ? Poland ? Inca ? and i can give you so many civs that feel and are literally stronger than France.
Even if you really think that France needs a nerf, why do you start with B-B+ tier civs.
Tackle the real overpower that nobody wants "touched". I've never doomed any deity game like my china/Poland / Carthage game. I still lose many times in deity unlike Elliott but those civs are so powerful I can't see how I can lose.

France's UA is strong and brings flavour : you win cultural victory through War.
On the other hand, I can't see how you find the UI strong, it comes in medieval, doesn't connect resources, can't be adjacent and needs to be near a luxury. With all this conditions, you expect indecent yields or great effects : it's not the case. 3 food, 3 gold and 2 culture is not that gamechanging, your cities won't get a lot bigger (sea tiles with Harbor gives you 4 food and 2 gold) and you won't get as many sp as poland for example.)

In fact, I can not see how France is breaking vp right now, yes there are civs weaker than France but there are lots of civs stronger.

I really do not think that this additional 10% attack is a big deal. Absolutely not overpowered. The only time when it is really strong is early game when you can take a capital with walls without catapults. Thing is the bonus is additive, not multiplicative, and when your army is well developed and well positioned - you usually have ~100-120% of other bonuses. That means additional 30% is not 30% stronger, it is "+130%" instead of "+100%" which is actually 15% stronger than before

That means additional 30% is not 30% stronger, it is "+130%" instead of "+100%" which is actually 15% stronger than before

Just a check, is hp damage linear with strength difference or is it on some exponential curve?

If it's linear your point is correct. If not, then 15% more strength can lead to more than 15% more hp damage.

Does France's esprit de corp take air units into account? Do fighters and bombers contribute to the stacking?

I am also crossposting this in the Japan thread.

France and Japan are doing very simlar things: Getting GPs through war. However, while France actually does this very effectively, Japan fails miserably.
As an example, my current game as France: I am doing limited warfare (no conquest ambitions) but I still got 4 or 5 of each GP for my troubles. This amount of fighting netted me 2 Great Generals - that would transfer to only 1 of each GP at best for Japan.

Now I understand that the yields don't have to be exactly the same, as there are more things that define a civ, but it still feels like the difference in effectivity is too large. France feels right, but Japans conversion rate is so bad - I never get it to work.

Japan + Hero Worship gives you a lot of GG/GA upon city conquest, which in turn gives you a lot of GA/GW/GM. It is a crazy powerful combo. Give it a shot and then see how you feel about Japan.

Unless something changed recently, I remember France's +20% :c5culture::c5production: boost from conquest stacking up to 40% if Napoleon conquers a second city within 20 turns of the first one, staying at 40% even after the 20 seconds of the first one. Likely to 60%-80%-etc if France conquers more cities in quick succession. Is that intended?

Isn't the boost 40% whatever the number of cities taken? However, taking another city extends the duration of the boost.
For small cities, the duration is 2-3 turns (on Standard) IIRC, so to get 20 turns you'd need to take quite a large one.

Are chateau yield affected by roads? I put some workers on automated in industrial era (yeah I know automated workers are bad) and they start building roads on chateau everywhere.

Are chateau yield affected by roads? I put some workers on automated in industrial era (yeah I know automated workers are bad) and they start building roads on chateau everywhere.
Automated workers aren't bad, but they might not be doing things matching your grand strategy. I usually forbid them to remove features and put them all in automatic, except for a couple of them that I keep for urgent things, like boosted by pantheon resources and roads towards a military target.

I had a pretty fantastic game with France recently. Musketeers are so incredibly strong. Mid-game conquest has insane snowball potential.

Top Bottom