Free city from barbs on diety level! WTF?

hoopsnerd

Prince
I just experienced some extremely odd (and beneficial) barbarian behavior... I was exploring with a warrior near my second city, and stepped into barbarian territory to see a size 2 barbarian city defended by 3 barb archers. I moved my warrior 1 tile above the barb city on the hills/forest hoping a barb would attack me there and i would win and get a promotion. No dice, they didnt attack. I moved my warrior one tile right of the city on the next turn, still no attack, but a 4th archer showed up on the hills/jungle below, and I thought for sure he would attack me. He didn't, he moved in the opposite direction... so I moved my warrior to the tile he previously occupied for the defense bonus. So what happens next is the part that leaves me guessing. All 3 Archers in the barb city disapeared, and I was allowed to capture the city without a fight. They didn't attack me, you can see in the screen shot that my warrior has no Exp pts. (the cover promotion is from a random event - can this game get luckier? yes - I popped BW from a goody hut in 3840 BC and have 2 gold mines in capital fat cross). So what happened to these archers? Where did they move to? They couldn't possibly have moved anywhere that I couldn't see when I moved in to capture the city? What happened here? Why did barb archers abandon/disapear from the city? Lucky for me I guess, but seems broken? Did I "convince" them to be friendly? Anyone got any ideas? I have a save game from right afterwords if anyone wants to delve further... I also dunno if Worldbuilder works with Lock Modified Assets. I'm playing Marathon/Hemispheres/Diety/13AI/Huge.

Edit: If you're wondering why I built the Great Wall before a second city its because my strategy is going to be to use a Great Spy on Sulieman or Huyana and jack some of their techs.

Edit 2: Oops, wrong attachment. Now you can see that the warrior has no exp (and full health) and was obviously not attacked by 3 archers nor captured a city founded on a hills defended by an archer with the warrior unit taking 0 damage, cover promotion or not... Also note the game log on top only says "You have captured Kassite" and says nothing of my warrior killing anything while doing so.

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0004.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0004.JPG
    277.9 KB · Views: 286
  • Civ4ScreenShot0006.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0006.JPG
    220.7 KB · Views: 227
I observed something similar in my last game. I was moving towards a barbarian city with 3 swordmen, when the 3 defending archers suddenly disappeared, and i was able to just walk into the city and claim it (however i razed it, mwhaha).

I've been seeing a lot of Barb wierdness lately.

Frankly, the AI is all over the shop - I'm looking forward to a patch to sort this all out.

Disbanded by maintenance costs? :lol: (I know they don't have it)
Ran away cowardly? Suicide is better? :D

Seriously, looks like a bug to me. Specially if they just got "deleted"...

I've seen it too!

I've also seen a massive barb uprising outside my capitol just after I got my first tech.. 6-8 archers against my one clubman! :/

I've seen it too!

I've also seen a massive barb uprising outside my capitol just after I got my first tech.. 6-8 archers against my one clubman! :/

question! i haven't had that happen (thankfully). if you get that scary event that early ... was it before the date that barb humans usually appear, or at least before they're allowed by usual rules to enter cultural borders? i'm assuming it was, since you just got your first tech. if so, did they actually come into your borders and not follow those rules since they were special barbs? sound like it, waaaaaaaaaaah.

i just want to know in case i do get that event someday (ugh). thanks.

question! i haven't had that happen (thankfully). if you get that scary event that early ... was it before the date that barb humans usually appear, or at least before they're allowed by usual rules to enter cultural borders? i'm assuming it was, since you just got your first tech. if so, did they actually come into your borders and not follow those rules since they were special barbs? sound like it, waaaaaaaaaaah.

i just want to know in case i do get that event someday (ugh). thanks.

Yeah, there is still a set time period before they can enter borders. If you're lucky, by that time they may have wandered away to another civ. :)

Top Bottom