1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[Col] FreeCol Maps Overhaul Update

Discussion in 'Other Sid Meier Games' started by Blake00, May 31, 2020.

1. Blake00

Blake00 Prince Supporter

In between my Civ2 modding projects I'm currently in the process of helping out the FreeCol team with various things such as their public presentation (eg everyone thinks they're dead when they're not lol) and adding heaps of awesome new custom maps as fans have submitted heaps of cool ones over the years. Now obviously having American Indian tribes running around places like Australia and Africa is a bit weird haha (modders are working on localized native packs for other continents in the future though so stay tuned) but nevertheless the map variety now makes things heaps more fun. Some of the huge Earth maps may seem to big for standard Col games however FreeCol allows 8 European nations instead of the classic 4 and modders have increased that to 12 European factions now! Anyway I should have the map overhaul update all wrapped up in the next few hours and then hopefully in the coming days it will be added to the next github test release by the team. :)

More details about map project:
    https://sourceforge.net/p/freecol/discussion/141200/thread/9eb4fbdf/?page=2&limit=25#b431

General info on playing FreeCol these days and where to get it:
    https://sourceforge.net/p/freecol/discussion/719661/thread/2d0063a3bc/

Screenshot of some of the new maps:
    Maps.png

Screenshot I took a year or so ago just before finishing a game:

2. AyCe

AyCe Chieftain

Cool! I still visit www.freecol.org every month to see if they posted some new version. Never got into it myself because I dislike the graphics (perspective, images, icons, colony management, and so on - basically: "it's not like the original"). I also once tried to setup the multiplayer for a bunch of people, but the game just crashed. :p

Which are the 8 other nations you can play?

3. tupi

tupi Chieftain

I' glad that freecol is not dead (yes, I, as many other people, thought that nothing's in development). Last time I checked, it was pretty barebones. Hope AI now is more intense and multiplayer is more fun. BTW, is somebody in the team trying to disassemble the original game for more faithful expierence? I think that disassembly in such cases is fair use (see Open Dune, for example). Of course, probably original AI is cheating hard, but as a option it can be sweet to have it there. As well as other math/rules (not from observation, but directly from the original code).

4. Blake00

Blake00 Prince Supporter

Yeah I've been pestering them to improve their website as it was making everyone think they were dead. They've made a few changes now but more needs to be done. ISoon I'll be helping them update the screenshots section, adding a new videos section and posting new news articles!

Naturally the original 4 are included (Netherlands, France, England, Spain), but the default FreeCol also comes with 4 more (Portugal, Denmark, Sweden, Russia). Then 3rd party mods also add Belgium, Italy, Ottoman Empire and Germany. Obviously historically its getting a bit murky here with these extra supposed colonizers so they will likely stay in 3rd party mods instead of the going into the base game. The modder is also working on adding another 4 I think including some Asian nations, if that goes through people can have 18 player Col games which is just crazy haha!

Yeah with no source and no one breaking down the games assembly code (as far as I know) so everything would be based of approximations of AI behavior combined with publicly accessible stats. If we're sticking with the Dune 2 analogy then Freecol would be live Dune Legacy more than Dune Dynatsy as the later was based on open Dune while the former was based on approximations. When I played a big game a year ago the AI seemed quite fine and was attacking each other, natives and me. REF came down hard on me of course too. Was fun!

BTW guys there's a delay with the map pack sorry. I've submitted it to github but the main programmers have to approve it and there's some debate going on right now with the creator of the maps as he feels some of them are not good enough to be included and we're all like "dude! they're good enough!" lol.

5. Blake00

Blake00 Prince Supporter

trader/warrior likes this.
  6. trader/warrior

trader/warrior Deity

Awesome, just played some freecol the past few days and now wanted more selections of maps. Downloaded some massive selection of over 40 maps that I was kinda sceptical of. This looks like a nice curated selection. Awesome work!

One thing I would like would be to see the size of the map on the selection screen. I see some of them have XL or such in the title, but for the others as well. Having for example "75x50" or whatever the size would be in the title so I can see it on the selection screen, also helpful for knowing how many AI civs I should have.

7. Blake00

Blake00 Prince Supporter

haha yeah all the crazy maps like the GTA one's Mazim made were filtered out. :)

Nah they all have sizes in their names S = small, M = Medium, L = Large, XL = Extra Large, XXL = Huge. And yup I stated in the sourceforge map thread where all this went down that I'd be lodging a ticket asking Mike or someone to stick in a little 'legend/size descriptions' area below maps with the class sizes. I did think about adding the full A x B sizes to all the individual map names but others weren't excited about the idea so that's why there's just the S, M, L, XL, XXL labels in the names.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2020