[GS] Freeze macOS appstore 1.3.7 - 1.0.7.9(211110)Metal

Keith Gabryelski

Chieftain
the freeze occurs when the northern edge is exposed and you scroll
around the 3D map to the north. It might also require that you have
a unit highlighted.

This occurs on a beefy macbook pro with the integrated AMD Radeon Pro 5500M as well as the discrete
Intel UHD Graphics 630

version on startup screen: 1.0.7.9(211110)Metal
video of freeze: https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B0d59UlCq7mPHU;3686C5A2-3047-4F0F-9239-B6D3B8DF7D37
all additional content has been purchased
no community mods installed
I've attached the saved file used to repro.

system:
Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro16,1
Processor Name: 8-Core Intel Core i9
Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 8
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 16 MB
Hyper-Threading Technology: Enabled
Memory: 32 GB
System Firmware Version: 1554.60.15.0.0 (iBridge: 18.16.13017.5.3,0)
Activation Lock Status: Enabled

AMD Radeon Pro 5500M (the discrete gpu):

Chipset Model: AMD Radeon Pro 5500M
Type: GPU
Bus: PCIe
PCIe Lane Width: x8
VRAM (Total): 8 GB
Vendor: AMD (0x1002)
Device ID: 0x7340
Revision ID: 0x0040
ROM Revision: 113-D3220E-190
VBIOS Version: 113-D32206U1-019
Option ROM Version: 113-D32206U1-019
EFI Driver Version: 01.A1.190
Automatic Graphics Switching: Supported
gMux Version: 5.0.0
Metal Family: Supported, Metal GPUFamily macOS 2
Displays:
Color LCD:
Display Type: Built-In Retina LCD
Resolution: 3072 x 1920 Retina
Framebuffer Depth: 24-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
Main Display: Yes
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Automatically Adjust Brightness: Yes
Connection Type: Internal

the integrated gpu: Intel UHD Graphics 630:

Chipset Model: Intel UHD Graphics 630
Type: GPU
Bus: Built-In
VRAM (Dynamic, Max): 1536 MB
Vendor: Intel
Device ID: 0x3e9b
Revision ID: 0x0002
Automatic Graphics Switching: Supported
gMux Version: 5.0.0
Metal Family: Supported, Metal GPUFamily macOS 2

Attachments

• TOMYRIS 54 1880 BC.Civ6Save
    1.2 MB · Views: 156
What are the expectations for responses on bug reports?
Is there an acknowledgement with respect to the dev team receiving or acknowledging their ability to reproduce?
Is there a bug sheet online somewhere where I can see the progress of bug prioritization and fix?
How can I help? Is more information needed?

This is a friendly inquiry -- I understand dev teams have different styles of work -- and I wouldn't presume to demand insight into all decisions.
I am, however, very interested in getting these bugs fixed so I can actually play the game.

Well, this is a fan site. Although we know that FXS and Aspyr monitor this site for bug reports and community feedback generally, and some FXS and Aspyr employees do post here from time to time (including occasionally asking for save files to help them diagnose bugs), CFC is not an "official" site for either FXS or Aspyr to communicate with fans. They will occasionally acknowledge bug reports and provide updates on potential fixes, but that appears to be only rarely done.

And CFC staff is not aware of any publicly available bug-tracking sites maintained by either company (and, frankly, I would be astonished if any such sites existed).

Well, this is a fan site. Although we know that FXS and Aspyr monitor this site for bug reports and community feedback generally, and some FXS and Aspyr employees do post here from time to time (including occasionally asking for save files to help them diagnose bugs), CFC is not an "official" site for either FXS or Aspyr to communicate with fans. They will occasionally acknowledge bug reports and provide updates on potential fixes, but that appears to be only rarely done.

And CFC staff is not aware of any publicly available bug-tracking sites maintained by either company (and, frankly, I would be astonished if any such sites existed).

thank you!

that information should be somewhere around this bug reporting forum ... something along the lines of "THIS SITE IS NOT ASSOCIATED WITH ASPYR -- ALTHOUGH YOUR BUG REPORT WILL BE SAVED AND POSSIBLY READ BY SOMEONE WHO COULD HELP -- THERE IS NOTHING ENSURING IT WILL EVER REACH ANYONE"

if that is around here somewhere, I'd (gently and in a friend like way) suggest it be more obvious.

https://support.aspyr.com/hc/en-us/...-Why-is-Civilization-VI-is-freezing-mid-game-

they seem to have found this bug and fixed it.

**Update 12/9/20 Our development team has found a fix for the freezing/crashing issue in the Mac version of Civilization VI. This issue will be resolved in an upcoming patch scheduled for December 17th.**

**Update 11/12/20: We have found that lowering your resolution settings may help improve performance. This is a temporary workaround while we continue to investigate the issue.**

Original Post:

We are currently investigating freezes/crashes on the Mac version of Civilization VI. If you are experiencing freezes on a MacBook Pro, please send us a copy of your "Saves" folder. This can be found in the following location in Finder:

Mac App Store: ~/Library/Containers/com.aspyr.civ6.appstore/Data/Library/Application Support/Sid Meier's Civilization VI

Mac Steam: ~/Library/Application Support/Sid Meier's Civilization VI

Copy this save folder and attach it to your “Report a Bug” ticket and we’ll reach out to you as soon as we can.​

Thank you for the updates. I have this same issue and was about to make my Mac dual-boot so that I can play this game when I read your update.
Does the 'scaling down' the resolution suggestion work for you?

Thank you for the updates. I have this same issue and was about to make my Mac dual-boot so that I can play this game when I read your update.
Does the 'scaling down' the resolution suggestion work for you?

I spent a lot of time changing options and testing to see if performance increased or crashes subsided...
I think the crashing obscured any other issue I could debug.

in short: I saw better performance from scaling down (panning and movement around map was quicker) but I can't claim to have seen any difference in performance that matters (the time between moves) -- or a reduction in crashes/freezes

Thank you again. Last night i tried playing it on a lower resolution but, as you described, sadly no improvement on the freezing issue.
Have you found a way to gracefully shutdown your Macbook? Mine will eventually show all the colors of the rainbow so a hard power down is the only option I can think off.

The latest patch did not resolve this problem for me. I “can’t” wait any longer so I’m moving over to a bootcamp installation. Hoping that this will be fixed in a next patch.

the december 17th patch did not mention this issue/fix in the releasenotes.

I have a reproducible save file for a new freeze (well... one of the three freezes I've mentioned in this forum).
I will start a new thread.

Top Bottom