Friendly Aliens

Cronos

Chieftain
This game is great so far! Still just discovering everything. I noticed that my alien friends went blue. Does that mean that they are harmless? I have an alient nest in my borders. Can i safely put a well on it now and the aliens will stay friendly?

Attachments

• alien nest.jpg
    alien nest.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 2,671
Yes, blue Aliens are friendly. They will not attack you unless you return them to "green" status by attacking yourself (or maybe if other players commit massive anti-alien action). They still exert zone of control, though.

Unless I am mistaken (or the bug from the previous version is not fixed) you should, however, have no need for an extractor - friendly nests should supply the Xenomass.

The aliens now treat you as friends. However, this only lasts as long as you have a nest in your territory. If you kill the nest, you'll lose friendship. On the bright side, nests seem to be treated as xenowell improvements once you get the Alien Sciences tech, although any nest in your territory before you research Alien Sciences will not get this benefit... at least in the press build.

OK cheers for the responses. Yes I have done a bit more testing. If you have a nest in your territory then the aliens go blue after a while and are passive even when you are next to a nest in neutral territory. They provide you with biomass and you get bonuses same as for a well. However the food output from a well is a lot higher.

If you move an explorer or worker onto a nest in your territory then you clear the nest and the aliens go back to green and start attacking. If you are passive for a few turns, and assuming there is still a nest in your territory they go back to blue status.

Are all aliens friendly once you befriend a nest, or just the ones connected to that particular nest?

Also, how are you supposed to befriend the aliens? In the game I played last night, the first nest I found had 7 aliens around it instantly attacking anything I sent in that direction, settlers, workers, explorers. This was even though I picked the decision to befriend the aliens. It seemed impossible to settle a colony even remotely close to the alien nest without first exterminating them...

Are all aliens friendly once you befriend a nest, or just the ones connected to that particular nest?

Also, how are you supposed to befriend the aliens? In the game I played last night, the first nest I found had 7 aliens around it instantly attacking anything I sent in that direction, settlers, workers, explorers. This was even though I picked the decision to befriend the aliens. It seemed impossible to settle a colony even remotely close to the alien nest without first exterminating them...

yes, speaking from personal exp.. ALL aliens are friendly... Good way to remove a threat while expanding.. only trouble remains the take up hexes (always the ones you want to go to) and still have a ZoC.

In my current game i got blue aliens, waited till i got Xeno Swarm and I'm eradicating them now (much easier then using gunners etc..). After 8 kills they are still blue.. Careful not to destroy the nest in you territory.. Goes a long way in keeping them blue while killing them :)

Aliens can also join your side and you can control them, thanks to certain artifacts.

how do you befriend aliens? I settled a city and bought out a tile with a nest but they are still unfriendly.

you need to wait 50 turns AND have at least 1 harmony affinity I think ( I say this because for me the aliens turned blue the exact turn I got that, which does not seem like a coincidence )

No. That's not it. I have 2 points in harmony and its around 110 turns in with 2 nests in my territory. They have been in my territory for quite some time now. I've been avoiding killing aliens just trying to get them friendly this game. Maybe the nest is too far? They are both 3 tiles away from my city.

Having befriended aliens on my first playthrough, I can speak from my experience:

• Distance to a city doesn't seem to matter, as long as it's within your territory. My alien nest was within three hexes.
  • After claiming the nest for your territory, it takes a long time until the aliens turn friendly. 50 turns or more, maybe even more like 80. Have patience.
  • You don't have to absolutely refrain from attacking aliens. I killed one alien near another city because it kept attacking my workers. Ultrasonic fences are fine too. I'm not sure what happens if you have a nest within range of an ultrasonic fence.
  • After the aliens turned friendly, they remained friendly to me for the rest of the game as long as I didn't attack first - even after my neighbor exterminated enough aliens to get them permanently pissed off at him, and after another one with whom I had open borders destroyed the nest, causing the aliens around it to migrate away.
  • Automated workers leave nests alone, but if a nest is destroyed, they will happily build a xenomass well in its place.
  • I had a new nest pop on xenomass under a worker that was building a xenomass well and had 1 turn remaining. Thankfully, I canceled it in time. (Then Kozlov destroyed it a turn or two later, the jerk.)
  • Unfortunately, other civs that don't care about your alien-friendly ways will happily run over nests on your territory if you have an open borders treaty. I'm not sure how to prevent this, other than not making open borders treaties.

Attachments

• 2014-10-26_00013.jpg
    2014-10-26_00013.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 732
50 - 80 turns are too long to be viable. :(
It's enough for me to get explorer and merchant immunity to xeno attack and a crushing arm on xenos.

I got a alien drone unit from an excavation once early on and used it to explore with 3 movement and the ability to hover over canyons and water.

Top Bottom