Future DLC's, what do you think it might be?

darkedone02

The Suggestor
After watching how civ 5 does DLC's, I am pretty much we going to have the same amount on Civilization: Beyond Earth, either more or less. Considering this is another Civilization that is fictional at best (pure Sci-Fi like Alpha Centauri).

I can see the DLC's that could happen, mostly map packs, Civilization DLC's, and expansion's listed as DLC instead of a standalone game.

I think we might have:

-More planets to explore
-Alien Civilization DLC's that also want to colonize the new worlds
-Expansion Packs (at least 2 or more).

What I wish to see in civilization DLC's is the ability to play as the Aliens who are also want to colonize the same worlds, and I wish to see more then just 4 alien civilization such as:

-An Alien civilization that worships technology improvements and want to turn the world into an mechanical world, they came to the world as the planet is has unique resources that they actually needed to progress further, and this Khan needed this as tribute to show they proven themselves to be the governor of this world.

-An Alien Civilization who embraced mutation and power, they came to the planet so they can domesticate and fight among the alien wildlife to show their own strength and study the planet's flora to find a cure of a disease that rampage one of their planets, these aliens is close as a hunter/tribal civilization similar to the predators.

-An Alien Civilization that seeks to colonize the worlds to escape from death as their planet was devoured by a supernova. They seek to make one of their worlds their own by embracing a new life and seek a way to be peace with the world itself and study their nature, these aliens promote peace and serenity, they believe in freedom and faith of the greater good. Those who disrupt the peace of their colony will be consider heretics.

-an Alien Civilization that rules with an iron fist, they seek to colonize worlds in the name of their warlord, these aliens want to turn these worlds into mining worlds to fuel their war machine, as they have the ambition to become the biggest empire of the whole galaxy, to show their power that they mean business. Join or Die is their motto.

Each Alien Civilization has an unique look upon them, and as this is just an example, they may show different sides depending on their affinity.

I'm expecting maybe 2 or 3 dlcs, with no expansions and a civ6 release in 2016, unless the two games end up being worked on at the same time.

2 more "pallets" of unique aliens. What I mean is that the game will choose between one of three types of native alien species to interact with. Right now we could consider these aliens the default, but other types would come with their own unique aspects.

This makes the whole "colonizing" theme much more interesting since your not sure what type of aliens your going to get, or the strategies it might mean in surviving and expanding. One example someone had is the aliens "eating" humans and gaining abilities based on what was eaten. So perhaps on an individual unit level they are weaker, but can infest humans.

There could be many more weird alien species on the planet. I want to see at least two more. I feel it would really help this games replayability. Go crazy with the ideas too.

Alien civilization.

More sponsors! I want to see by the end of BE lifetime 16 sponsors. As the ideal target. No more no less.

"Alien Explosion" Expansion would be cool as a theme. With the aliens fighting back or infesting humans more. Aliens adapting to the humans in some way.
A unique line of units for each affinity. So something ONLY that affinity could get. So it could be mind controller unit or something for one faction. I don't know. But the point is no one else could get that class of unit.

More unit types.

I don't think there will be any expansions at all. DLCs maybe but this game is essentially what Colonization was to CIV.

I'd actually be ok if Firaxis implemented a DLC system like PI does with their products. Keep updating the game and the players pay for what they want.

Much depends upon how well BE sells and how 2K/Firaxis estimate the profitability of DLC/expansions. Programmer and artists time cost money and in the end the decision always falls on the side of potential profit.

We don't know how far along they are with the Civ V successor (Civ 6 or whatever) and if there is a gap in their production line for a few months, they probably can afford to keep their staff and talent busy with BE DLC or expansions. But if they need to draw them off for more pressing (and potentially more profitable) projects, then we will see less likelihood of BE related releases.

A bit more of basic terraforming or map shaping: the ability to raise and lower hexes (plains to hills or plains to water; that sort of thing) either by expending a unit specific unit made for the job or spend a hefty load of energy.

Another thread on the tech web (along with all the building and improvements it brings) that starts at ring 2 that focuses on the ability to establish and maintain cities on water hexes.

A bit more of basic terraforming or map shaping: the ability to raise and lower hexes (plains to hills or plains to water; that sort of thing) either by expending a unit specific unit made for the job or spend a hefty load of energy.

Another thread on the tech web (along with all the building and improvements it brings) that starts at ring 2 that focuses on the ability to establish and maintain cities on water hexes.

The first part, terraforming, I think is out with the present Civ engine but might be possible in some future 64-bit version if conjecture is correct.

Aquatic cities and additional submarine aspects of the game would be a really cool expansion, absolutely.

I don't see the alien civivilization. Civilization games typically have very small accents to distinguish it's factions. For an alien civlization, 4 of the 5 VC woudln't make any sense so there would be way too much to balance and we all known that isn't the strongest side of Firaxis. ;) But don't get me wrong, having truly unique factions would be cool.

Oh my god aquatic would be awesome! I didn't even think of that.

Star Citizen has its primary 3 alien species getting unique alien languages.

Oh my god aquatic would be awesome! I didn't even think of that.
Well I was just thinking back to Alpha Centauri; Alien Crossfire even had the Nautilus Pirates which were specialized for sea life.
An expy of them likely wouldn't fit very well into BE; maybe have sponsor that's an unified Bajau people that numbers swelled with refuges during the Great Mistake and became a minor power and has an expedition that shows up last instead of first crowding them back into the sea. But that would be gimmicky on the scale of Venice from CivV and I'm getting away from just speculation.

Even though this game tries to be like Alpha Centuari, they stated that this game is not anything related, so it's a different element but almost similar backgrounds.

That's why I though more alien civilizations will be nice in this game as we get more story and civilizations to mess with, both human and aliens...

Oh my god aquatic would be awesome!
While I doubt the Civ5 engine underlying it will be well suited for truly aquatic gameplay, I could certainly see interesting DLC packs with such a theme. Imagine things like this:

Aquatic Exploration Pack
  • New Aquatic biome: huge swamps, bayous and marshes cover the world!
  • New naval units and buildings: build the unique Aquadome to maximise ocean use or the new submersible carriers to sneak up on your rivals!
  • New maps: Handcrafted maps showcase the Aquatic biome with interesting chokepoints and beautiful archipelagos!

Precursor Relic Pack
  • New Relic biome: A wasteland littered with the ruins of an ecumenopolis and the strange wildlife that adapted to it!
  • New units and buildings: Build the Precursor Nexus to reveal the lost history or adopt the lost knowledge for new unit customisations coming with unique models!
  • New wildlife: Aliens aren't enough for you? Confront the semi-organic servitors roaming the world.

There's a lot of potential for small but chunky content-filled DLCs with a strong theme, definitely stuff that sounds more appealing than new sponsors (especially considering how much customisation we already for the starts).

I don't think there will be any expansions at all. DLCs maybe but this game is essentially what Colonization was to CIV.

I'd actually be ok if Firaxis implemented a DLC system like PI does with their products. Keep updating the game and the players pay for what they want.

That might of been the intent when they started making BE (I don't think so, but it possibly fits), but the buzz they are getting with BE is much bigger than Col, also it is not as niche as Col.

Of course it all depends on sales, but given it is getting just as much promotion as the last Civ expansion, and that was the highest selling expansion to date I think it is a good bet that it will make enough money to justify at least a expansion pack.

As to what would be in it, well there are a number of area's on the world map yet to have representation (UK/Scandinavia, USA/Canada, Middle East, Antarctica et al) so it is a strong idea we will see some if not more of these, we may also see more non governmental organizations like the ARC join the game. I don't think we will see an alien civilization unless the Dev's want to rejig the victory settings.

As well as this you would probably see more biomes, probably more aquatic stuff (as was hinted), more stuff in general.

I'm thinking

More Resources/Terrain/Improvements

More Units

More Factions

Possibly-and this is stretch-a new affinity with its own unique victory condition. Or maybe sub-affinities as discussed in a previous thread.

While I doubt the Civ5 engine underlying it will be well suited for truly aquatic gameplay, I could certainly see interesting DLC packs with such a theme. Imagine things like this:

Aquatic Exploration Pack
  • New Aquatic biome: huge swamps, bayous and marshes cover the world!
  • New naval units and buildings: build the unique Aquadome to maximise ocean use or the new submersible carriers to sneak up on your rivals!
  • New maps: Handcrafted maps showcase the Aquatic biome with interesting chokepoints and beautiful archipelagos!

Precursor Relic Pack
  • New Relic biome: A wasteland littered with the ruins of an ecumenopolis and the strange wildlife that adapted to it!
  • New units and buildings: Build the Precursor Nexus to reveal the lost history or adopt the lost knowledge for new unit customisations coming with unique models!
  • New wildlife: Aliens aren't enough for you? Confront the semi-organic servitors roaming the world.

There's a lot of potential for small but chunky content-filled DLCs with a strong theme, definitely stuff that sounds more appealing than new sponsors (especially considering how much customisation we already for the starts).

Very interesting ideas! :goodjob: Why not also include ocean cities in the first idea, and maybe a new precursor victory condition related to rebuild the precursor cities/infrastructure/culture?

I'd like a DLC that expands alien interaction. A way to become friendly with them as well as making them more of a presence throughout the game.

Precursor Relic Pack

That would be awesome. :D

Strangely geometric landscapes forming the grasslands and plains, with ancient buildings overrun by alien moss and vines. Marshes could be the ruins of old irrigation systems, broken and flooded.

Another biome idea:

Volcanic Biome
  • A Shattered World: The volcanic biome represents a young world, still seething in its molten throes, or an older world undergoing great upheaval. Its terrain features include smoking peaks, bubbling sulfurous pools and fields of dried lava. Nonetheless, life still thrives on the rich minerals brought up by the tectonic violence.
  • Tectonic Effects: There are more threats than the lifeforms in this world and unlike most biomes, the unstable volcanic terrain can change without notice. Volcanic eruptions and lava flows may temporarily block access to areas of the map, destroy improvements or even unveil new resources. Expulsions from underground may even spread new miasma.

What I would like to see is a Proper expansion

Mechanics
1. Faction influence spreading through cities..inducing diplomatic health/unhealthy, spying modifiers, rebels (and cities having individual affinity levels)
2. Aquatic expansion (long distance exploitable resources=ring 2, cities in sea=ring 3, improvements on ocean tiles=ring 4 Leaf)
3. True Terraforming, ie making it more like Earth... With a Global terraforming meter that Purity can do things to move up, Harmony can do things to move down... and spontaneously spreading "earth" tiles ?(similar to and incompatible with "miasma")... a certain level of Global terraforming meter would be required for Promised Land (X level or more needed) or Transcendence (X level or less needed)
4. Alien boosts...allow players a wonder that lets them upgrade the wild aliens, and an "artificial nest" improvement that spontaneously generates wild aliens

4-8 more factions

What I would like to see is a Proper expansion

Mechanics
1. Faction influence spreading through cities..inducing diplomatic health/unhealthy, spying modifiers, rebels (and cities having individual affinity levels)
2. Aquatic expansion (long distance exploitable resources=ring 2, cities in sea=ring 3, improvements on ocean tiles=ring 4 Leaf)
3. True Terraforming, ie making it more like Earth... With a Global terraforming meter that Purity can do things to move up, Harmony can do things to move down... and spontaneously spreading "earth" tiles ?(similar to and incompatible with "miasma")... a certain level of Global terraforming meter would be required for Promised Land (X level or more needed) or Transcendence (X level or less needed)
4. Alien boosts...allow players a wonder that lets them upgrade the wild aliens, and an "artificial nest" improvement that spontaneously generates wild aliens

4-8 more factions

that's the terraforming I will love to see, global changes that make the whole world changes towards an earthlike planet... or I can be a mechanical overlord and turn the whole world into a mechanical planet, exterminating all life and replacing it with machines... or destory the world and watch it burn...

Top Bottom