[GS] Future Update?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think he meant Navajo instead of Hitties

I wonder what the logistics of WFH for Fireaxis must be like? If they are going to create a final product eventually, can they do that without ever going into the office? Or is a small team of people eventually going to have to sneak into the office and put the final pieces together to release the update? I wonder about things like creating the music for Civs too. I don't know that Geoff Knorr can record a live orchestra when most places are banning large gatherings of people right? I am wondering how many of these hangups may slow down development or act as bottlenecks entirely?

Ad WFH: BTW TeamViewer exists. And VPN. Part of jobs covered by them.

Considering that nearly the entire world is under quarantine, they might as well. People would buy and play it.

It would be such a world class move if firaxis launches a third expansion tomorrow and made it free to play the first 5 days.
Do you think it would get 200k users on steam? I know i would stay at home till my eyes go square.
I think we deserved it after all those fillers.

It would be such a world class move if firaxis launches a third expansion tomorrow and made it free to play the first 5 days.
Do you think it would get 200k users on steam? I know i would stay at home till my eyes go square.
I think we deserved it after all those fillers.

I'd say zero chance of that, though something of the sort could very well be done for the base game.

I wonder what the logistics of WFH for Fireaxis must be like? If they are going to create a final product eventually, can they do that without ever going into the office? Or is a small team of people eventually going to have to sneak into the office and put the final pieces together to release the update? I wonder about things like creating the music for Civs too. I don't know that Geoff Knorr can record a live orchestra when most places are banning large gatherings of people right? I am wondering how many of these hangups may slow down development or act as bottlenecks entirely?

To release software onto Steam (or most places in this digital world), companies do NOT need to have developers located in an office.

Their various videos for developer updates and pre-launch marketing are done "on-site" but could be done remotely with some degradation in the overall quality.

The recording of the high quality music that they include, however is something that has been done in person and would be hard to replicate. To be fair, this is something that they probably would put on hold - but depending on how they do their creative process, it is very possible that a lot of whatever they had planned for recent releases may already be recorded.

I work in software development in the financial services industry. Our Development and QA teams have moved to 100% WFH these past 2 weeks, but some of them already were WFH - and others are located in other countries. All of us can keep doing what we do with teleconferencing and connecting into our servers remotely. We have slowed our overall development schedule - but mostly this is to account for workers potentially getting sick, dealing with children who are also home, and to free up overall bandwidth for production support as needed (not surprisingly we have seen a significant increase in traffic in our eCommerce market segment). We still have a number of software deployments that are moving forward and will be released while our offices remain empty.

So, although Firaxis has certainly been impacted, the IT development arena is well positioned to account for this kind of change, and overall should only be minorly impacted in terms of schedule for the purposes of actually delivering new software to the masses. This can be seen by all of the updates to the various branches in the SteamDB that others have been tracking. That, of course only speaks to the technical side of things. How they decide to proceed can easily be impacted by non-technical factors as well.

Last edited:
On a side note, as Michigan gets quarantined, I hope all of the Firaxis people, especially the ones that post here and interact with us, are safe and working from home and healthy.

Godspeed, everyone. "May you live in interesting times" is not a blessing, after all.

Article about a boom in people using Steam because of quarantine - link. Not surprising some people required to stay home are playing more video games. No indication this means increased games sales, just increase in people playing games.

Sadly, I still think the virus will delay release of any Civ content one way or another, either because WFH is making things slower or marketing / sales don’t want to release now with everything going on. (Of course, there are more important things to worry about than whether or not some 4X game comes out. And I hope everyone is keeping safe.)

But , you know, it would be great if we got some news this week. Particularly if the news was some version of “here’s a thing, and it’s totally awesome!”. It’s been a long wait, a really long wait, and frankly I’d like some good news. Patch, expansion or mini-expansion and a leader / scenario pack. Yes please.

Come on Firaxis. Just bite the bullet.

(@FXS_MisterKevin should we brace ourselves for another social media post this week, or is there a chance of some more substantive news...?)

[edit: Nevermind. Apparently all Aqueducts lead to Rome, but not to a Third Expansion. Link.]

Last edited:
Moderator Action: Because Mod requests were not listened to (several times) we will be closing this thread and opening two new ones

For discussion about changes/updates/additions to the Civ STEAM Depot (only) go HERE

For discussion about speculation as to what just might be in the future update go HERE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom