[GS] Future Update?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd love Byzantines, Saxons, Hittites, or Wales. Though I thought I'd heard that Hittites were banned or something.
Any chance that you might have confused Hittites with Hitler?
Hittites, as I am aware, are perfectly fine and are even going to be in Humankind.

Would like to see a lot more American civs like the Apache, Commanche, Maya, etc. as well as Portugal, Byzantium, Siam, Ethiopia, possibly Morocco and the Harappans

I'd really like to see Civ evolve a bit, not become a new game but to freshen up. The game presupposes linear historical developments (e.g. the Zulu must follow a predefined Western-looking tech/civic trees) which makes the game far too rigid and predictable. For a game that prides itself on feeling open ended, in some ways it works against itself. It would be nice to follow Humankind's lead to an extent with the more fluid and open-ended experience they seem to be offering. Even the decision to move on to a hex grid from Civ 4 to Civ 5 is an example of how the game can make substantial reworks without changing what it essentially is.

I think this can already be done in a hypothetical coming expansion. I'd be very pleased to see a unique victory conditions for each civ as another unique trait, which seems easy enough to develop within the Civ 6 framework. It's not something logistically difficult, but would change our playstyles greatly.

Pardon my ignorance but why would the Hittites be banned?

I don't think they should be, and I don't think they are. I thought I had read last year in an older thread that there had been some reason they had, but it could have been hyperbole or I mis-read. Honestly, the only reason I mentioned it was in case I mentioned my love for the Hittites and some pedant chimed in and told me that they had been banned, so it would never happen.

Any chance that you might have confused Hittites with Hitler?
Hittites, as I am aware, are perfectly fine and are even going to be in Humankind.

Not Hitler. I meant from the Civ series.

And were in Civ 3
Right, I remember. It was my understanding that 3 was the last time. I'm probably mistaken.

I am hoping for at least one new, kinda-odd, leader. Say, Mad King Ludwig.
Same thing for some kinda-odd new civ. Say, martians or hobbits, or something historical.
I am also hoping for some tweaks like
- subs under ice
- road building (with workers?)
- sacrifice religious units to a volcano
- scouting units that can 'negotiate' with barbarians
- religious conversion of the heathen barbarians
- ships that can land and create a colony that will grow into a city
- new forest and rain-forest improvements, like a nature preserve or parkland
A few new wonders
- Channel Tunnel
- Mt Rushmore
- Suez Canal, Erie Canal, etc
Power sharing, maybe a National Grid improvement for the city center.

My 2 cents. Worth every penny.

Oh God please no martians or hobbits or joke civs.

Agreed, the real world has enough crazy diverse peoples out there that there's no need to pull from myth to find crazy civs.

For instance:
-the Chavín were an ancient pre-Mayan culture that built aqueducts but then put psychotropic drugs in these water supplies for decades so everyone would be in a constant state of low-grade hallucination
-the Palawa found life in Tansania to be so good and easy that they completely stopped using tools or building things at all! But when war broke out between the Palawa and foreign powers (Japanese, Europeans) the Palawa quickly became proficient in using guns and watercraft.

That's just two.

For instance:
-the Chavín were an ancient pre-Mayan culture that built aqueducts but then put psychotropic drugs in these water supplies for decades so everyone would be in a constant state of low-grade hallucination
-the Palawa found life in Tansania to be so good and easy that they completely stopped using tools or building things at all! But when war broke out between the Palawa and foreign powers (Japanese, Europeans) the Palawa quickly became proficient in using guns and watercraft.

That's just two.
Where did you learn about those peculiarities? I want to read more about them but googling didn't give anything that says anything like that, neither about the Chavin nor the Palawa. I did find, though, that the Chavin built aqueducts such that they'd make a powerful roaring sound, and they used the psychotropic drugs to enhance the sensations of the sounds and vibrations, but nothing that suggested they poisoned the water supply.

- scouting units that can 'negotiate' with barbarians
- religious conversion of the heathen barbarians
- ships that can land and create a colony that will grow into a city
- new forest and rain-forest improvements, like a nature preserve or parkland
I like these ideas.
- Imagine convincing or bribing barbarians to go raid one of your neighbours instead of you. An enhanced level of diplomacy that I think would be quite fun.
- We do actually have a 'heathen conversion' ability in Apostle promotions. I can't remember actually using it, but I'd assume that you'd have to have it accompany a military unit so that the apostle doesn't get killed by the barbarians. Maybe that could be tied with barbarian diplomacy where bringing religion would greatly improve relations with the barbarians, but perhaps there'd be a small chance that they don't accept conversion and it could mar relations instead. The existing heathen conversion Apostle ability could be tweaked to have it guarantee that it has the most beneficial effect on relations with the barbarians if that apostle is the one converting them.
- I think the colonial ship ability should be a civ unique. Not sure what civ - I probably would have suggested Norway or England got that ability. Since you can always just bring a settler along with your ship, I think it'd be better if there was just one civ that didn't have to bring a settler, or else settlers wouldn't really be useful or necessary on island maps, which seems kind of strange to me.
- I definitely agree that there should be nature preserves, but specifically to be placed on unimproved rainforest. Currently, since rainforests reduce appeal, you wouldn't even put a national park on it, despite rainforests being just as important to protect. Of course, you can do it if you're Brazil, but I see no reason why other civs shouldn't be able to protect it as well (plus it's rather ironic that Brazil is the only one that can protect rainforests, considering current real-world events...). Other terrain types are covered by national parks and city parks from that one governor.

Where did you learn about those peculiarities? I want to read more about them but googling didn't give anything that says anything like that, neither about the Chavin nor the Palawa. I did find, though, that the Chavin built aqueducts such that they'd make a powerful roaring sound, and they used the psychotropic drugs to enhance the sensations of the sounds and vibrations, but nothing that suggested they poisoned the water supply.

I research in a lot of places for civ mod inspiration. That said I think the majority of my information on the Chavin came from good ol' wikipedia.
Wikipedia's article has changed a lot in the last two years, though, because there is currently ongoing archaeological work in the area. So it could be that they've decided that they didn't do this after all.
(The old research stated that their aqueducts showed residue of psychotropic cactus juice, which would happen if you passed quantities of it through the water supply over a long period of time. The theory was that the sun priesthood did this in order to corroborate their claims and control the population, but that theory was controversial and may have been debunked by now based on newer evidence.)

New filler... about aqueducts...

*Tinfoil hat intensifies*

New filler... about aqueducts...

*Tinfoil hat intensifies*
Hahaha, quick, are there any cactuses in the picture?!

I research in a lot of places for civ mod inspiration. That said I think the majority of my information on the Chavin came from good ol' wikipedia.
Wikipedia's article has changed a lot in the last two years, though, because there is currently ongoing archaeological work in the area. So it could be that they've decided that they didn't do this after all.
(The old research stated that their aqueducts showed residue of psychotropic cactus juice, which would happen if you passed quantities of it through the water supply over a long period of time. The theory was that the sun priesthood did this in order to corroborate their claims and control the population, but that theory was controversial and may have been debunked by now based on newer evidence.)
That alone is something I find interesting - that our theories and knowledge (or lack thereof) are constantly evolving. We could even be wrong about stuff that's in Civ 6 right now, and just not know it yet.

Passing psychotropics through aqueducts would have made for one hell of a civ, though, that's for sure.

Hahaha, quick, are there any cactuses in the picture?!

That alone is something I find interesting - that our theories and knowledge (or lack thereof) are constantly evolving. We could even be wrong about stuff that's in Civ 6 right now, and just not know it yet.

Passing psychotropics through aqueducts would have made for one hell of a civ, though, that's for sure.

Shuckee gee, the whole premise of Civilization games has been revised since they started making them: The idea that Cities started around 4000 BCE in Mesopotamia. City foundations have been found as far outside that area as South America, Anatolia, China, and southern Europe, dating back up to 2500 years earlier than that date. The whole Start of the Game should have been revised years ago.

In addition, I've got my own list for Weird Stuff that I want in a Civ game but have never seen - the difference is that these all have historical/archeological evidence for them that is controversial in some cases, but hasn't been outright 'debunked':
1. Technologies available at the nominal Start of Game (4000 BCE) include Pottery, Animal Husbandry/Domestication for sheep, goats, cattle, horses, and water buffalo, Crossing coastal waters for people and their animals, Wine Making, primitive Metallurgy (annealing and/or smelting copper, silver, gold, lead), Archery.
2. First Military Research Laboratory - 400 BCE, where they invented the crossbow, catapult, and Quinquereme warship
3. Firing Artillery as an Olympic Event (almost, it was actually one of the other Greek games in the same cycle as the Olympics)
4. Chinese discover the Americas 50 years before Columbus - having better ocean-going ships than he did.
5. African civilization goes straight from Neolithic to Iron Age without ever using Bronze - and starts using fairly good steel several centuries before anybody else except:
6. India has high-grade steel around 400 BCE, long before anywhere else in the world, because of a peculiar combination of monsoon-driven high temperature blast furnaces and high-grade iron ore in the same place.
7. The only ships that were ever Upgraded using the same hulls and weapons were Ships-of-the-Line and Frigates - major navies like the British and French added steam engines and propellors to most of their SoLs before scrapping them for Ironclads a couple of decades later, and many Frigates were converted into Steam Frigates with the same rigged masts, guns, and hulls.
8. British, French, Japanese, Americans all converted Battleship-type vessels into Aircraft Carriers, but it required much more extensive rebuilding of everything above the waterline. Used the same hulls and machinery, though, and produced, until 1945, the largest Aircraft Carriers in the world (in Japan and the USA).

- And that's just a sampling. There are so many intriguing things historically that have been ignored even in the Uniques and 'special' attributes of Civs in Civ games that even a handful of them would make a very different kind of DLC . . .

Oh my perfectly likely theory has been ruined by odd smoke E.
Pay respects to my dying dreams.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom