G-Major 12

Shrine give you money even if it isn't your state religion - you can have income from several shrines at a time.
That's good to know, I think I had two of them.

As I've written, usually it's more efficient to produce wealth, at least untill banks or even Wall Street. And then later Observatories and Laboratories kick in.
Most of the time I had produced everything available for research before producing research. Although, in some of the smaller cities I didn't build Banks once I had enough to build Wall Street in the Capitol. How does one figure out the breakeven point.

Well, I calculate the breakeven point by whether I estimate the number of turn to be reasonable for the investment to pay out. Just divide production cost of bank (= # of coins you lose by not producing money) by expected effect of bank, gold per turn, and you get the number of turns. Of course, it should be less than the number of turns left until victory. Also it should take your priorities int account - if you need much money soon to research, and then during culture of part-production or whatever phase you need none, then you might abandon some profitable projects. And of course, money now is more valuable than money later - you can introduce a discount you assume fair.
For science amplifiers it is a bit more complex - you compare extra science with extra science you could've gotten if produced wealth instead of building - it ususally is more than you could get by just producing research.

Well, since my FIRST Major was disallowed (stupid.03), I got THIS one in! Sitting in 12th with a sad 1904 AD that SHOULD have been a lot shorter if I wasn't an idiot. Never set foor on the New World, but did take 3 early capitals to jump start production. Problem was I was at negative income and science for too many turns. Maybe will try again to try to improve, but at least got the amjor under my belt!

Hmm I'll keep trying but keep getting battered at Monarch. I do OK, crushing a neighbour and then starting a war against someone else, then Monty declares on me, I am fighting on two fronts, and just as I about to finish them off Hannibal goes and declares on me too, and invades with Knights while I am researching education. I think I need to prioritise engineering more than going for liberalism.

Holy schrine is only good at the beg. of the game.
It's good all along. Some 20gpt modified by Market/Grocer/Bank/WS will pay nearly half of your late game expenses.

Attachments

• shrine_city.jpg
    shrine_city.jpg
    178.1 KB · Views: 97
First attempt with this major. Stick w/ the awesome incans. Picked 10 opponents (is this max or 9 opponents?) Took out 3 capitals and and total capture 5 cities. So far I can afford them at 60% because of a lot of cottages. Right now is 295 BC and eveyone is relatively advance (at least for this level). Hanibal may become a threat, since he has horse and has horsebackriding and most my units are axeman. About tobuild pyramid in 10 turns. Hopefully this is a good start.

I think it is very hard to find the balance on capturing cities and razing them.
Moonsinger what is oyur tactich hoe many cities do you caputure.

Unless there are gold/silver/gem within my capital, I usually go for Potery before mining. By having a couple of cottages in each city, I can support up to 6 starter cities and still have money left over for research.

Unless there are gold/silver/gem within my capital, I usually go for Potery before mining. By having a couple of cottages in each city, I can support up to 6 starter cities and still have money left over for research.

So the key are cottages the more cottages the more cities you can take from AI.

Question for those who know about the Terra map type. Its about 1000AD and I have 12 cities on the homeland and I'm exploring the new world. 12 cities seems about right for a good spaceship launch. I'm aiming for early 1800s but as I'm just researching Nationalism, seems a bit optimistic, so I don't want to have to settle the New World if I don't have to, which leads me to my question.....

What are the resourse balance issues. ie, are there any resources solely found on the new world. In my map gems appears the case but I've never played on Terra before so I don't know if that's just this map.

Question for those who know about the Terra map type. Its about 1000AD and I have 12 cities on the homeland and I'm exploring the new world. 12 cities seems about right for a good spaceship launch. I'm aiming for early 1800s but as I'm just researching Nationalism, seems a bit optimistic, so I don't want to have to settle the New World if I don't have to, which leads me to my question.....

What are the resourse balance issues. ie, are there any resources solely found on the new world. In my map gems appears the case but I've never played on Terra before so I don't know if that's just this map.
I had coal, aluminum, oil, uranium, etc. in my 1/3 of the old world, so you should be okay.

Usually you have all of them in the Old World in great abundance, but just in case send a Caravel with an Explorer to the New World, and have a Settler with a Galleon ready. Like if by any chance you don't find coal, you can quickly grab it in the New World.

Thanks for the heads up. :)

I did indeed send an explorer over to the Old World and had all the huts to myself, popped Astronomy and Music. :D

Ended up with only one city there the entire game, one of mine that had two gems and elephants so could pay for itself.

Wrapped it up around 1850 which isn't great but I was using Napolean to fill in a blank QM spot and he's not entirely suited. Strangely, my only friend the entire game was Montezuma. I went to war against or was declared upon by all the others, and ended up with at least one of their cities apiece. :goodjob:

If the land is good, usually you're better off by founding more cities. Space race is a rather long run, they will pay off from 1200 to 1800 AD several times.

I think that pig, corn, spice, sugar and dye are only found in the New World. So, if you can afford to settle in the New World, the extra health, and happy is useful, but the barbs counter-attack is relentless. Bring infantry.

Mh, if you want to go to the New World, why do you play with barbs?
You have to invest so much in a colony, I doubt you'll get it back.

Top Bottom