G-Major 144

And remember you can hold down the ALT key and click on a city to select all cities in the entire world that you own. Then choose emphasize food

Going later with 370 cities and 54 food is your best shot at catching up in score.
I went with more mainland cities (fewer islands) therefore fewer cities total to get faster exec spread and faster finish. Most importantly, I don't think my map is anywhere near +54 food. I'm too afraid to count. Too depressing.

Seems like your game is going to go to T450-ish for that many cities.
I plan to be done T390 or 400 at the latest.

50 turns longer game is about -2,000,000 points I estimate. (40,000 per turn)

You need to learn shift + F1 and control + F1. Those will save an entire build Q and restore it when you get a new city

Wait no I think it's shift + 1 and control + 1

And remember you can hold down the ALT key and click on a city to select all cities in the entire world that you own. Then choose emphasize food

Going later with 370 cities and 54 food is your best shot at catching up in score.
I went with more mainland cities (fewer islands) therefore fewer cities total to get faster exec spread and faster finish. Most importantly, I don't think my map is anywhere near +54 food. I'm too afraid to count. Too depressing.

Seems like your game is going to go to T450-ish for that many cities.
I plan to be done T390 or 400 at the latest.

50 turns longer game is about -2,000,000 points I estimate. (40,000 per turn)

Thanks for the hotkey tips WastinTime. :D :goodjob:

Ya, my game is gonna be around T450 ish.
Pressing next turn or DOWing causes a 30 second pause now which is very stressful. (please don't crash! :please:)
Hopefully after months of saving and loading saves, everything was done correctly to get a good submission. :coffee:

My latest colony brought DeGaulle back into my game, but after briefly panicking I saw that I did get the next 2% dom limit boost. :)
Spoiler :

Egypt is almost dead and America will be next before he completes Democracy.
Giving all cities to Babylon to stay under Dom limit is going well, but stupid America gave him Feudalism. :sad:
I'll just DOW at the end a few turns early to soften up the hard cases before taking every city.
At least the city gifts can revolt constantly from my culture pressure and never flip to me causing a spike in land %.
So glad I didn't turn on "city flipping after conquest"

Score is finally building up each turn now. (2.88M currently on T380)
Spoiler :

Whipping Warriors in 4 cities every turn is mildly profitable, but having a place to put overflow hammers once you have all the boats/workers/military units/workboats you need makes it good profit.
Just have to keep an eye on new sources of iron/bronze before pressing next turn.

The economy is interesting to ponder.
The first 10 or so giant cities are profitable since they enlarge trade routes for all cities. (4 mainland and 6 far apart island cities)
The economy continues getting stronger until roughly 50% of the cities grow past 4 merchants.
After that, continued city growth adds no new :gold: per turn, but instead increases Sushi maintenance.
STRIKE seems inevitable
. :hmm:
Maybe it would stabilize with +1 trade routes from Airports and UN resolution, but those aren't possible in my game.

Right now I'm preserving all Villages, Towns, and Gem/Gold/Silver mines, but once STRIKE hits I'll farm and windmill them all.

Here a probable bug:
I created a new colony. Washington was the random leader created (re-used).
The cities I used were owned by the previous, DEAD Washington.
One of the cities started with 60% culture borders.
Sux. What a waste of land tiles that count as mine (50% anyway).

That was my last colony. I'm at 76% dom limit.
Now, if only there was a way to retake all those vassal cities :mischief:

What? Because the cities you used were ex-Washington cities and because the random leader chosen for the colony just happened to be Washington, the cities regained the culture they had when the "real" Washington had them? That does suck.

Here a probable bug:
I created a new colony. Washington was the random leader created (re-used).
The cities I used were owned by the previous, DEAD Washington.
One of the cities started with 60% culture borders.
Sux. What a waste of land tiles that count as mine (50% anyway).

That was my last colony. I'm at 76% dom limit.
Now, if only there was a way to retake all those vassal cities :mischief:

Sorry to hear about your bug.
That's nuts.

It does feel annoying to have 2*16 = 32 colony cities that aren't being pumped up with Sushi.
No way to get all those vassal cities back unless you can engineer the AI attacking them or you have the AI's found a 5 or 6 city colony which you then conquer over and over.
(Slay the master civ, give the AI colony a city elsewhere, then retake the 6-city island. Requires 2 wars. Once their capital moves off-island, you can give them the 6 cities back to have them form a new colony. Make sure the 6 cities are all 2-pop before the gift or they will raze and you'll need to make a lot of Settlers.)

I'm at 76% dom limit too. :)
Just passed 4 million score with +53:food: on T390 heading into my last 60 turns.
Every city is building Quechuas instead of Wealth in case I miss my 4-person Golden Age and need to use the STRIKE economy earlier than planned.
Spoiler :

With more Hermitage fail :gold: coming in next turn, I almost feel like I should stop whipping economic buildings now, but I still have 120 sushi city spreads to go roughly.
I'm feeling very chicken. :o

One funny thing happened recently.
My biggest island with 15 cities was building up sizable colony :gold: costs, so I moved my capital there.
I figured Forbidden Palace / Versailles on my mainland also removes colony costs like the Palace.

It took 3 turns to notice, but NOPE! :sad:
Forbidden Palace / Versailles removed the Colony maintenance costs in their city only.
They do not remove colony costs for the other cities on their island/continent.

So 5 population were sacrificed to cold-whip a Palace on my mainland just south of Cuzco in a smaller city and move my capital back onto the mainland.

Cost me around 3000:gold: I'd say. :mad:
Spoiler :

My last enemy AI America died on T388.
It's one of the few times I've ever conquered every Deity AI city without taking a vassal. :)
America did manage to give his vassal Gilgamesh Feudalism, Engineering, and Guilds before dying, so that will make the retaking of the center cities at the end of the game more difficult.
Spoiler :

The 240 Workers I've got are being shipped across seas to remove jungles on islands and farm everything.
I'll start farming over mainland villages and towns once I crash my economy for good.
Spoiler :

As for when to crash my economy going for max population, I'm still not sure. :hmm:
I need my main army to survive long enough to retake the 35 Gilgamesh cities at the end for free population.
20 turns of STRIKE costs 100 Quechuas, but 40 turns of STRIKE costs 400 of them.
I can stash Quechuas inside my colonies to get them outside my borders faster, so every city can pump them out and transport them easily enough. :hmm:
Maybe only whip Granaries + Courthouses + Lighthouses from now on in new cities.
Finish Banks + Markets + Groceries + Harbors in the larger cities that are already building them.
Then stop building Courthouses when I STRIKE, and stop building Lighthouses when I get really close to the end.

**Edit**
Oh ya, if you move your capital off the main continent in a game, don't grant independence/colonize the main continent unless you are sure.
It's a pretty big button to click.
Spoiler :

I'm going for it. It's time to STRIKE. Probably way past time to strike. Something to improve on if there is a next time.
I stopped building courthouses long ago (mistake? probably not, especially if I had done the STRIKE sooner).
I didn't build hardly any banks or markets. I don't regret that.
I did some grocers and probably should have done more because of the +health. Oh well, too late now.
It's T356. I estimate that I need until T375 minimum to sacrifice Quechua to protect my execs. After that, I'll still want to build Q's, but if I fail to keep up, only workers will start dying.

I wouldn't call losing 3000:gold: funny... :mischief:

Thanks for sharing your progress. I'm impressed that you guys have the stamina to mange that many cities/workers/troops/etc. :goodjob:

No problem. :)
Ya, the game really bogs down once the Sushi age starts, but with the new 16 colony technique it no longer gets boring.
It creates a no-vassal deity conquest game with a simultaneous max pop sushi mini-game. (which takes priority :crazyeye:)
STRIKE makes the very end more exciting too.

I'm going for it. It's time to STRIKE. Probably way past time to strike. Something to improve on if there is a next time.
I stopped building courthouses long ago (mistake? probably not, especially if I had done the STRIKE sooner).
I didn't build hardly any banks or markets. I don't regret that.
I did some grocers and probably should have done more because of the +health. Oh well, too late now.
It's T356. I estimate that I need until T375 minimum to sacrifice Quechua to protect my execs. After that, I'll still want to build Q's, but if I fail to keep up, only workers will start dying.

Yes!
STRIKE for the win! :king:

I wouldn't call losing 3000:gold: funny... :mischief:

Drop in the bucket. My expenses are 60,000+ :gold: per turn :eek:
And that's probably low compared to what Kait will eventually have... (I'm guessing) 70 or 80,000+

Yes, 60,000 is low and it's because I got screwed on seafood on my map :mad:. I probably have about 50 fewer resources than Kaizilla :( I guess I need to play another hi-score game before I retire. I'm sure this will cost me 1,000,000 points if not 2,000,000.

Slay the master civ, give the AI colony a city elsewhere, then retake the 6-city island. Requires 2 wars. Once their capital moves off-island, you can give them the 6 cities back to have them form a new colony. Make sure the 6 cities are all 2-pop before the gift or they will raze and you'll need to make a lot of Settlers.

I still think this might work.

SYNOPSIS

Let display their thought process. First, just like the human player, the AI player is tied to same rules (canSplitEmpire() and canSplitArea()) to be see the colony creation option available.

Quick sight on colony creation rules for both human an AI players
  • If Vassal state option is turned off while setting up your game, no colony can be created.
  • Being a vassal disallows one to create colonies. Indeed, that is mainly for AI players as human player can't be vassal of someone.
  • When a colony is created, a derivative civ is chosen and a leader too. If the game can't return a leader because there is no mode available leaders, the colony creation is disabled. The game can recycle dead leaders.
  • Attempting to create a second colony on a same Area as another previous colony is forbidden. One Area, one colony.
  • A created colony cannot share the same area as master's capital original area.
  • A minimum of 2 cities to open possibilities to create a colony.

Pretty sure that bolded part means that you just give cities to a colony if one already exists on a landmass.

yea, that should work, and it's probably worth the effort. I did it with 5 cities one time, and considered repeating it, but it was just too much work and too slow (cus I wanted to get to 76% sooner.) I'll put it on my to-do list for my next hi-score game. I went with 'city flipping after conquest'. Unlike your experience with it, Kaitzilla, I find it a pretty good option.
I've had at least a dozen vassal cities flip back to me already. I hope to get around 20 of them back. I specifically scoured the map for vassal locations that would flip easily. I even had 4 cities flip back to me in one turn :eek: but that is rare. One problem I had was that I flipped both vassal cities which caused them to be DEAD before I had reached 76%. So instead of 16, iirc, I had to create 18 colonies...not counting the one the AI created.

Another amazing feature of this option is that you can raze (technically disband) a city that is thought to be un-razable when it tries to flip back to you. Here I'm talking about cities with a lot of your culture, not the vassal gift cities.
I'm aware of the advantage you have with NO city flipping. You can give away 1 tile permanently. If I commit to the vassal strategy where the AI creates vassals, then I should probably go with NO flipping too. Add that to the list for next time.

yea, that should work, and it's probably worth the effort. I did it with 5 cities one time, and considered repeating it, but it was just too much work and too slow (cus I wanted to get to 76% sooner.) I'll put it on my to-do list for my next hi-score game. I went with 'city flipping after conquest'. Unlike your experience with it, Kaitzilla, I find it a pretty good option.
I've had at least a dozen vassal cities flip back to me already. I hope to get around 20 of them back. I specifically scoured the map for vassal locations that would flip easily. I even had 4 cities flip back to me in one turn :eek: but that is rare. One problem I had was that I flipped both vassal cities which caused them to be DEAD before I had reached 76%. So instead of 16, iirc, I had to create 18 colonies...not counting the one the AI created.

Another amazing feature of this option is that you can raze (technically disband) a city that is thought to be un-razable when it tries to flip back to you. Here I'm talking about cities with a lot of your culture, not the vassal gift cities.
I'm aware of the advantage you have with NO city flipping. You can give away 1 tile permanently. If I commit to the vassal strategy where the AI creates vassals, then I should probably go with NO flipping too. Add that to the list for next time.

Oh!
I had no idea City flipping after Conquest was that effective taking back colony cities. :goodjob:
I must have messed up in my testing.

That's pretty cool that you can raze cities with 25% or more of your culture too. (If I read that right)

=============================================================

Missed my high odds Great Merchant in my game, so no Cereal Mills yet. :sad:
I've got a fair amount of border cities that can use it now.
Spoiler :

Going to skip my 4-person Golden Age and use my Great Spy, Great Priest, and Great Scientist for other stuff.
The Great Prophet can found a Shrine which counts as a World Wonder for score, so that's as good as 16 population I think.
The Great Scientist can bulb Fission which opens up another Great Scientist to bulb Genetics.
If my next GP is a Merchant, then Cereal Mills.
If my next GP is a Scientist, then double bulb towards Genetics. (+3:health: for all cities)
If my next GP is an Artist, then another Golden Age I guess.
If my next GP is a Spy, I'll cry!

Turned off my economy on T394.
No more Courthouses, Banks, Markets, or Grocers.
Just Granaries, Lighthouses, and the occasional 1-pop whip Harbor.
Mainland cities are all building Supermarkets if they can get it done with Hammers in less than 30 turns.
Will switch to Environmentalism (+6:health:) on the last turn of Golden Age on T408 and PLUNGE INTO STRIKE!!!
Will also spend any remaining gold on tech slider T407.
Will embezzle gold by gifting some to 2 close colonies with 4 spies on T408 (750:gold: each)
That way if I miss a Quechua whip for overflow :gold: for some reason, I can just steal 375 gold during the STRIKE.
Spoiler :

Last Sushi spread will be T433ish.
281 cities have it now with about 100 to go.
Got 2 more core cities to give away to stay under dom limit.
After that it gets annoying.
With all cities producing Quechuas, I should have no problem getting 650 of them for the 42-50 turn STRIKE.

All new cities have 14:health:
Granary gets them to 17, Environmentalism gets them to 23, and Genetics gets them to 26:health:
Since Harbors only start giving benefits at Pop 27, and then only slowly, I'm only going to 1-pop whip them for about 10 more turns I think.

I didn't even need my 3 GP golden age. I actually still haven't used it. I can't find much else to use them for.
You may recall, that I got a 'free' GAge from the random event, so I just built all those useless colesseums for not much benefit.

I already had Cereal long ago and have it in about 10 cities.
Genetics around T370.

I had a crash :eek: Luckily I only moved one unit, so it should pass.

I didn't even need my 3 GP golden age. I actually still haven't used it. I can't find much else to use them for.
You may recall, that I got a 'free' GAge from the random event, so I just built all those useless colesseums for not much benefit.

I already had Cereal long ago and have it in about 10 cities.
Genetics around T370.

I had a crash :eek: Luckily I only moved one unit, so it should pass.

Gah! :eek::eek::eek:

380 cities is great, Kaitzilla. Does that include the 32 vassals?

My game will have fewer cities by design.
- I didn't know if this game was going to be 3 months or 6 months. It was 3 when I planned my strategy.
- I focused on faster-finish/faster-sushi spread by doing more mainland cities and fewer islands thinking the score would be 10 miillion either way, but I could save 40 hours of play time.

If I do another with no time restriction, I'd do it your way--max cities.

380 cities is great, Kaitzilla. Does that include the 32 vassals?

My game will have fewer cities by design.
- I didn't know if this game was going to be 3 months or 6 months. It was 3 when I planned my strategy.
- I focused on faster-finish/faster-sushi spread by doing more mainland cities and fewer islands thinking the score would be 10 miillion either way, but I could save 40 hours of play time.

If I do another with no time restriction, I'd do it your way--max cities.

:crazyeye:
I'll top out at 398 cities I think, of which 380 will be Sushi and the other 18 Cereal Mills candidates.

The 32 vassal cities are separate.
I think they only count for half on score, so I'm almost entirely ignoring them.

Gilgamesh's 38 cities will be a fun bonus at the end.

Top Bottom