G-Major 23

My first victory was 1355, I needed 4 votings because of my fault. I tried a decentralized economy: only 1/3 of the bulbs came from my capital. Not economy was the problem: I discovered mass media at 850-900 AD, but I didn't have a GE to make the building fast. Un was finished at 1120.

My current game seems hopeful. I have an unbeliveable starting position: 3 gems, a cow, a banana and clams. It has just 1 another coast tile, and it's great that this is a coastal city without too much coasts and seas. 2/3 of the tiles is river. It was built on a yellow hill. At 375 bc I have 265 bulbs, 150 from my capital. I don't mind I play without OCC. It has so much disadvantages: practically no trading, no extra resources, you must be lucky to have marble, few own votes, wonder building harder etc.

I played both games with willem (fin/cre). +2 culture and cheap libraries are useful at the beginning, a fast start seems better than some advantage at the future. It's better a bird in the hand than a bird in the bush.

Multi-city is probably the only way to get sub-1000. Thx for the details kovacsflo. Not sure I have the patience for that. Luckily this is a major. I should be able to find time for 1 run.

Multi-city is probably the only way to get sub-1000. Thx for the details kovacsflo. Not sure I have the patience for that. Luckily this is a major. I should be able to find time for 1 run.

I'm curious what result could you reach with OCC and what time did you need? I haven't started to fulfill my EQM ROTM, and OCC can be a way to a fast diplo victory even if without a good date.

I'm curious what result could you reach with OCC and what time did you need? I haven't started to fulfill my EQM ROTM, and OCC can be a way to a fast diplo victory even if without a good date.

My 3 OCC submissions will be coming out in the next update. I could probably get around 1300 AD with any leader. Might be harder to get continent-style maps. It takes about 3 hours. If I played on a quicker speed and aimed for 1400 (i.e. played more carefree/quickly) it would probably be only 1 hour.

My 3 OCC submissions will be coming out in the next update. I could probably get around 1300 AD with any leader. Might be harder to get continent-style maps. It takes about 3 hours. If I played on a quicker speed and aimed for 1400 (i.e. played more carefree/quickly) it would probably be only 1 hour.

I finished my last game at 1210AD. Much better than my first 1355 AD result, but still far away from 1000 AD. I needed 2 votings, Mansa converted to an alien religion just some turns before first voting:(

1000 AD only possible if you need just 1 voting, and have a GE. I didn't have again, but I used a GA to start a golden age and with forest chopping and buying it, it was quite fast. Still 4-5 turns could be saved by that. I think 1000 AD is only a theoretical goal, too many things dependent on it, I don't think anyone will have better result than 1100-1210 :) AD.

My games needed 5,5-6 hours, so about twice as yours, WastinTime. But I think it's still not so dramatically much, my large/emp/time game needed 21 hours play time, that was boring, but spending 6 hours to the same game is accaptable i think.

Flóri

If I played on a quicker speed and aimed for 1400 (i.e. played more carefree/quickly) it would probably be only 1 hour.
Sheesh! How can you play so fast? What game options do you use? Do you have it stop before hitting enter? r do you have some sort of super-turbo computer that is instantly fast?

Sheesh! How can you play so fast? What game options do you use? Do you have it stop before hitting enter? r do you have some sort of super-turbo computer that is instantly fast?

That estimate was for quick speed, OCC. That gives you about 30 seconds per turn. Plenty of time to move your worker and trade a tech.

This gauntlet takes 3 hours or more even for OCC.

I think 1000 AD is only a theoretical goal, too many things dependent on it, I don't think anyone will have better result than 1100-1210 :) AD.

All 3 of my test games were in that range exactly. And those were sub-optimal leaders: Wang, Hannibal, Ragnar. I'm thinking Liz or maybe Mansa can get close to 1000 AD w/ OCC.

All 3 of my test games were in that range exactly. And those were sub-optimal leaders: Wang, Hannibal, Ragnar. I'm thinking Liz or maybe Mansa can get close to 1000 AD w/ OCC.

Then what is your result in this major? Anyway I still think for a multi city game willem is the best -for OCC it is Eli I agree.

Then what is your result in this major? Anyway I still think for a multi city game willem is the best -for OCC it is Eli I agree.

If this was quick speed, or maybe normal, I'd say Mansa beats Eli. (spiritual beats Philo) It's close on Epic.

I have not played this major with a serious leader yet, just fillin' in the QM slots. I did however let map finder run and I had some great maps, so maybe I can't even beat those dates with Liz as easily as I'm thinking.

If this was quick speed, or maybe normal, I'd say Mansa beats Eli. (spiritual beats Philo) It's close on Epic.

It can be true for diplo but not to SS I think. I don't play too often with a spiritual leader and I start to think it is caused by personal associations. A really sily (but also beautiful) girl in the factory I used to work always wanted me to date with her, she called me her angel and so on. She apostrophed her lack of intelligence as spiritual way of thinking:)

Beautiful trumps silly. Unless she reminded you of Isabella.

I'm also very confused on how, not only do you win this on OCC, but also at such fast speeds?

On OCC, how would you not be at the bottom of the rankings? You might garner some votes from your buddies, but wouldn't your own number of votes be so little that it may not matter, if even only one or two go with the top ranked civ?

I am prey at Immortal, at this point, but need a lot here for my QMs, so I'm giving it a whirl. Quite a few bad attempts, quit partway through. Finally got a good map, with Asoka, and we shall see. Not an OCC, mind you.

I think so, I'm running 1300's with OCC Liz but sub-optimal maps and AI tech availibility. I worked one back to 1200AD if I didn't have to research monarchy and machinery. If I could also eliminate philo and use a great map, I can see me getting 1100's.

EDIT: I'm also playing Vanilla so if BTS years is effectively 10 turns earlier then 10xx should definitely be doable.

Mansa might be better even on Epic since every civic is a turn. I'm running confu, Beauro, HR, OR, Pac, FM, US - that's 7 turns, sometimes slavery or caste or merc too. I'm also not really needing the last great person (after electricity) since it's either a sci that can't bulb or a GA which is only like 3-4 turns of radio/mm. Philo is really only helping with the academy or if I need to squeeze a last shot at a GE. Course I might not have enough food either. The problem though is if you play Mansa you can't trade with him, and that just about kills your chances of trading for philo...

I'm also very confused on how, not only do you win this on OCC, but also at such fast speeds?

On OCC, how would you not be at the bottom of the rankings? You might garner some votes from your buddies, but wouldn't your own number of votes be so little that it may not matter, if even only one or two go with the top ranked civ?

For OCC you have to get an academy ASAP, go to CS fast, and then get the Oxford. You should be able to make everyone vote for you except the #1 population AI. You can always lose at least one more AI maybe 2, depends on how many AI you're playing against. You're right that your votes don't really matter. Choose the AI that like each other and like the civics you plan to use in the end.

Hang in there, you'll get it.

You're right that your votes don't really matter.

Yeah but don't do anything stupid like mis-click on "abstain". I did that once and immediately started screaming. Then I said wait, it's OCC so it won't matter. Lost by 22 votes with a size 15 capital. So it didn't matter, but it was darn close.

All the cool cats (well, KMadCandy anyway) vote for their opponent in a 1-city challenge diplo win ;)

She probably doesn't do that on Immortal level though.

@WastinTimeI'm curious how you are guaranteeing that none of the AIs vote for your opponent
I had problems in my last attempt with this

@WastinTimeI'm curious how you are guaranteeing that none of the AIs vote for your opponent
I had problems in my last attempt with this

It's ok if 1 or 2 vote for the AI, but there is no guarantee. I've lost that way. One way to help is to bribe them into Free Religion, so no one shares a religion.

Top Bottom