G-Minor 23

superslug

Still hatin' on Khan
Hall of Fame Staff
Settings:
  • Victory Condition: Space Race (though all victory conditions must be enabled)
  • Difficulty: Settler
  • Starting Era: Ancient
  • Map Size: Duel
  • Map Type: Any
  • Speed: Quick
  • Civ: Any
  • Opponents: Any
  • Version: 1.61.011 or 2.08.004
  • Date: 10th to 24th July 2007
The earliest finish date wins, with score as a tiebreaker.
See G-Minor 23 for details.

I'd rather not see anyone feel like these settings are beneath them and avoid this gauntlet, it's still a Hall of Fame gauntlet. As a matter of fact, I'm hoping this one provides enough fun to draw in a few new faces to our Gauntlet crowd.

Definitely a change of pace. I'm sure this will draw a number of new faces, I know I'll be able to give it numerous attempts!
You have 4 posts? When you have more HOF submissions than CFC posts, you are truly a Civfanatic. :goodjob:

Settler Level? Hmmm, this should be easy and hard....

Fascinating. I too love the idea of the change of pace. This means it will be race against other players, rather than a battle just to survive.

Also, completely different tactics are required at this level, that many of the top players may be unfamiliar with, so there may be some surprise results.

Hehee this will end on lots of submissions. I've already wondered why almost all gauntlets are on small+ or even normal+ maps... Settler is boring for those huts though, really need to reload alot to get lots of huts. Btw could we have on HoF gauntletpage some sort of info what type of gauntlets we have summarized somehow.

For example table consisting of X= Size Y=diff (Z=victory)

-Dracandross

When you have more HOF submissions than CFC posts, you are truly a Civfanatic. :goodjob:

There's another player who I've seen cross my desk a number of times, who just recently posted their first post! :eek:

Btw could we have on HoF gauntletpage some sort of info what type of gauntlets we have summarized somehow.

For example table consisting of X= Size Y=diff (Z=victory)

-Dracandross

I tried doing this in Excel, but there are so many different variables I ended up never finishing it. I'll try and pick it up again.

This one looks fun!

So what are going to be the best settings for this game then?

I'm curious too. I wonder which map would be the best for this one. With it being settler the AI's won't help at all, so it'll be entirely the player. I'm wondering if the majority of the submissions are going to be great plains, or was that highlands?

I just got an 1835AD date on Oasis, probably not the best map lol

20 Great People, 2 Artists, 2 Engineers, 16 Scientists. Built 2 academies, used the Engineers on the Space Elevator, the Artists on Radio and 1 for a Golden Age, and lightbulbed with the other 13 Scientists.

I was Elizabeth, and wound up against Hannibal. I tried to tech as directly as I could toward Computers, then Industrialism, then Rocketry, then Fusion, then Robotics. I had all the techs for the spaceship about 5 turns after finishing the Apollo Program. At that point, it took about 25-30 turns to assemble the spaceship, with the last part finishing being a Thruster. I finished 4 parts in the last 5 turns, so I timed it fairly well.

I expect to lose by at least 300 years with that time, although it would give me 4th place on the current tables.

I am using this gauntlet to get me the rest of my maps, and hopefully the rest of my nations. :) Then I'll just need to finish off a chieftain, noble, and time victory.

Edit: the current #1 with these settings is on the highlands map as Peter.

Second Attempt:
1895AD

OCC with Frederick on Highlands

22 Great People: 15 Scientists, 5 Engineers, 1 Artist, 1 Merchant
I settled 11 Scientists, 4 Engineers, created an Academy, Spent the other 5 on 2 Golden Ages.

I was surprised an OCC wasn't faster for me than a regular game...I figured the time saved from running around setting up cities and building workers, along with being able to run 100% science the entire game would have made it faster.

I never built a worker, Berlin popped one out of a hut on turn 1 lol.

I felt I researched better this time, but forgot to turn on Representation for awhile. I also forgot about being able to build the Globe Theatre when I had other national wonders.

I'll try another one tonight as OCC with someone else on a different map...I wonder if I just didn't have enough food/hills around my starting spot. The only food resource I had was riverside pigs, and I had 5 hills. I also had two mountains in my fat cross, unfortunately...and I couldn't spend GEs on the Space Elevator because I started about 3 tiles too high on the map to be able to build it...that wasted quite a few hammers I could have gotten from settling my engineers sooner.

All in all, pretty good for my first OCC, maybe next time will be faster :)

This will be good for getting lots of games done, I've taken a total of 2 hours between my two attempts.

perhaps one of the objective is to guard the huts. You are at always war w/ the AI, and you surround the ai so you can later pop some industral tech from those preserved huts

I just 1820AD with good old Mansa Musa. But I don't seem to be able to get into the HoF site to submit it. What a fast game!

Attempt #3
1885AD OCC with Alexander on Lakes.

20 Great People, but I had horrible luck with them
10 Scientists, 5 Artists, 2 Engineers, 1 Merchants, 2 Prophets

The Merchant, 1 Artist, and 1 Engineer I got from techs, the other artists and prophet were made with under 15% odds :mad: Anyway, I made an Academy, settled all but one other scientist, settled 1 Engineer, both prophets, and used 2 artists, 1 engineer, 1 Scientist, and the merchant on Golden Ages.

I had much better base production this time, but my tech pace was slower due to bad GP odds.

Next game I'll try a non-OCC game and will attempt a financial game rather than a philosophical one.

As far as the effectiveness of Pacifism when you are already philosophical...yes, it only increases your rate by another 50%...but that still gives you an increase of about 35% more Great People. Definitely worth it, imho.

Edit: Interestingly, Bismark, my opponent, actually managed to pass me in score this time around.

Top Bottom