G-Minor 37

10.- If my capital is pop 9 and every infected city is pop1, I have won.
11.- If every infected city is pop2, I need 18 believers in my Civ.
And this can be a rather big problem. By the time the vote is cast, at least the first 3 civs you spread to will have grown beyond pop2 and probably even spread to other cities.

Otherwise I fully agree with your plan, it's exactly how I played my last game.

I thought the vote never came in if you already had enough votes to win on your own?

I still don't think I understand this. Why doesn't Jesusin want to found Buddhism and Hinduism?

I thought the vote never came in if you already had enough votes to win on your own?
Take the 2*6=12 enemies with the faith, 18 pop with the faith in your civ example (maybe irreal as karmina points out).

10 turns after you have been elected pope, a pop-up appears letting you choose to vote for victory. Look F8 screen-Members. 18 out of 30 is only 60% so the voting option has appeared. Now, before doing anything else, revolt to the AP religion. Now your votes count double. You have 36 out of 48, that is , 75%. Press enter. The game is over, you autovoted.

I still don't think I understand this. Why doesn't Jesusin want to found Buddhism and Hinduism?

I want to be the only Judaisms follower in the game, so that only my votes count double and nobody votes for himself. So I want all AIs having and spreading their own religion.

Another way of playing would be to get 2 religions. You spread the "bad" one a lot, to the biggest cities, maybe 3 missionaries per civ. Then you spread the "good" one to only the smallest city of every civ. You build the AP under the "good" one. This method looks slower, though.

Irreal?

I also like the way you explain that 2*6 = 12!

I'll try this soon, it's a bit cheesy though. I need a religious win anyway. BTW, there is a discussion about cultural victories in Start&Tips in which I posted a link to your thread Jesusin. Some people are saying tech to mass media/radio etc. and build the Great Library. Amateurs ;)

LOL I know what you mean... we often prop up the botom of the gaunlet tables HB... You have more persistence than I though.

Jesusin and WastinTime (and Lexad, probably) are the men for the cultural victory advice, we have to distill it and hand out small doses to newcomers. Like "read Jesusin's thread".

So let me get this straight: I thought you had to already have the state religion at the time of building the Apostolic Palace. But Jesusin seems to be saying that you revolt to the state religion just before the final vote comes in. Which is it? Or do you go out of the state religion after the AP is built and go back in while waiting for the vote?

So let me get this straight: I thought you had to already have the state religion at the time of building the Apostolic Palace. But Jesusin seems to be saying that you revolt to the state religion just before the final vote comes in. Which is it? Or do you go out of the state religion after the AP is built and go back in while waiting for the vote?

Yes, the religion of the AP is determined by your state religion at the time the AP is finished (the city where the AP is being built must have that religion too). Then you immediately change your religion while you finish spreading the AP religion around. Then revolt back to the AP religion the turn of the vote.

@thrallia; you'd be in trouble if he'd razed your AP city though, its possible the AI hates the AP as much as humans isn't it?

There's no need to hate the AP if you know how to use it...also, he couldn't raze it, I had forgotten to turn off no city razing from the minor35 gauntlet...:D

@Thrallia: Being the only one eligible isn't the problem here. I also failed to win on my two last promising attempts, because too many abstained. All AIs were pleased despite all having other religions; but they - and especially Liz who abstained - had too much votes.
I need to know more about the different leaders, obviously some will vote for you if pleased, some don't. Liz didn't even love me a fraction more after I gave her all my resources, the AP and some other cities. Pure self-voting is quite hard on this type of map.

I have never had the problem of the AI not liking me enough to vote for me, if they didn't have any other choice...I'm apparently good at making the AI like me :crazyeye:

Is this Gauntlet a only-hammers-matter thing? :confused:

My plan:
1.- Tech as fast as I can to Monoteism (being careful not to found any other religion).
2.- Revolt to OR and build as many missionaries as fast as I can.
3.- Get one to each civ, starting with the owners of a religion.
4.- Research to Theology slowly
5.- Revolt to Judasim and build the AP slowly.
6.- Revolt to no religion once the AP is built.
7.- Research to Alphabet slowly.
8.- At last, missionaries have ended their work. The few roads I've built have proven useful.
9.- I am the only one eligible both for Pope and for winner.
10.- If my capital is pop 9 and every infected city is pop1, I have won.
11.- If every infected city is pop2, I need 18 believers in my Civ.
12.- The turn I choose to vote for victory, revolt to Judaism. Gift a few techs just in case.
13.- Enjoy.

So all I need is a gold, a couple of hills, a PH start, some food not too far and a central location start.

Is there a flaw in my plan?
Is there another strategy that can beat mine?

This has essentialy been my stratagy, except i do hoard most the religions. And since i cannot get the revolt trick to work, i use one of my early spreads as a target for all my love and affection.

960BC was when i got the vote, but i did not get enough votes. IMO, the BTS ai are smart enough to start spreading it once the first vote comes, which is why i still have no submission.

Maybe you have missed my steps 5 and 6.

You have to have a state religion to start building the AP. Then you go back to no religion in order to stay under 75%. Than in the final turn you go with state religion again.

AP Voting List0000.JPG

So how do I get a majority from here? Do I have to go and pump more missionaries into Catherine? Or is Lincoln too strong in the ways of the Temple already and I should give up?

Plus, when I had the first vote, everyone abstained. How do I get them to vote for me when they dislike me for having a different religion?

I really don't know, I am autovoting. Maybe conquer them all?

Anyway, it is almost 1000AD and you should be aiming at the BC. If you give them so much time, they will spread the AP religion and you'll lose control of the game. Next game, try using your first missionaries in a no-food city from a religion-founder AI. When you have to spread to religionless AIs, do all of them at the same time, a couple of turns before the voting. That way they don't have time to grow or spread it around, and you know beforehand if you have the 75% needed.

I have had time for a serious attempt. Disappointing starting position. Not too good end result, but almost 1000 years faster than my quick test. I am satisfied, back to XOTM now. Good luck everyone.

What does autovoting mean and how is it different to what I am doing?

How can I win in BC? I only just finished building the Apostolic Palace, which took 57 turns to complete.

Aha. With Civil Service and Bureaucracy, it only takes 18 turns. It still takes 20 turns for my first missionary to reach the furthest AI. I do not see how a BC win is possible.

What does autovoting mean and how is it different to what I am doing?

How can I win in BC? I only just finished building the Apostolic Palace, which took 57 turns to complete.

Autovoting means you are the only one voting for yourself and yet you win. In your current game that's impossible because AI has to many pop with the religion.

Forget about CS, all techs you need in this game are Mining, Theology and maybe BW for chopping.

I can't believe the 57 turns figure. Where you really building it at 7 hammers a turn? In this Gauntlet hammers are the only thing that matter. Look for a settler on PH+Corn+6 hills start, for example. That will give you 20 hammers per turn. Chop a bit and you'll have your AP in 16 turns. Choose a industrious leader too and it will be less than a dozen turns.

Do you have to be in the AP religion to be eligible for election?
or is that only for whoever has the most votes?
thanks for the simplified guide on self voting though it looks a bit easier to pull off than i thought it

@thrallia;
:lol: how often does that happen to me, worst was playing a good few turns of a game before realising i had left OCC checked :crazyeye: :sad:

was only joking about hating the AP i quite like it really especially the ability to initiate dogpiles and unite everyone in hating some poor sucker so i can win with the UN later

How can I chop the Palace? This is a rainforest map. I don't think I have seen more than two or three wood forests in the whole map. I've given up on using mapfinder to get perfect starts. It made me far top lazy when gong back to GOTM. I take whatever start I am given when playing HOF games now.

I still don't see how you can finish that quickly. It takes SO long for missionaries to hike across the map and half the time they fail when they get there so you have to do it all over again.

Ap Victory GMinor370000.JPG

I now understand this victory condition. I'm happy with that date as, for EQM purposes, a Monarch victory is a Monarch victory.

I gifted Liberalism to Catherine in the end to try and get her out of her religion so she would like me enough to vote for me.

congrats, harbourboy :)

I don't know if I'll get time to finish another game for this gauntlet, which is a shame, as it would fill LoN, Machiavelli, Tempi, and Mapquest for me.

Top Bottom