1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

G-Minor LXXII

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Hall of Fame Discussion' started by Peets, Feb 28, 2014.

1. Cromagnus

Cromagnus Deity

For the warmonger approach, Freedom is a no-brainer, IMHO. You finish the warpath and have all these units you don't need in the final turns. 20/unit is a great use, and it's only a second tier policy. Double strength spies in CS aren't bad either. There isn't much time to go more than about two policies into ideology anyway because you're bulbing straight from industrial to endgame almost, and you want to finish rationalism in that time frame. Globe theatre helps a little, but realistically the third tier policies aren't an option unless you miss the deadline and have to wait 30 more turns. :p

2. klaskeren

klaskeren Prince

i finished my game with peaceful approach, now its time for more exciting domination-like game!

edit: do you really need all 20 CS? i guess in that case patronage is mandatory, and proposing world religion not bad either

3. sanabas

sanabas Psycho Bunny Hall of Fame Staff

You don't need all 20, but you can only afford to have a couple missing. I usually open patronage as my spare policy between finishing tradition & opening rationalism, mostly in order to build Forbidden Palace.

4. casualplayer

casualplayer Warlord

Dang it. I did a peaceful one, entered the Information Age on Turn 207 with 12 Turns left until the next vote and still had to wait until Turn 233 to vote for leader. I had high hopes for this one, having entered the Renaissance, finished Oracle and completed a Social Policy all on Turn 115. Secularism before I had much more than my 4 Universities, a few Markets and Artists Guild up.

5. Cromagnus

Cromagnus Deity

Yeah, there are more extra turns in there than I thought there would be. If the world enters the atomic era on t200, at BEST you win on 215. So to win on t200 or better you need the world to enter the atomic by t185. That's pretty damn early to hit the Information Era. It's impressive to get plastics that early, let alone 3 or more other techs! That's why I think war is the best way to go in this challenge.

6. klaskeren

klaskeren Prince

7. klaskeren

klaskeren Prince

turn 128 - secularism - 350 beakers/turn, 3+½ AI left to kill

8. klaskeren

klaskeren Prince

well my war attempt went better than my peaceful attempt, needless to say, diplomacy victory was ensured by the total and utter annihilation of the voters.

9. Foamfollower

Foamfollower Chieftain

It makes it, however, impossible to trade for their votes.

10. Majestic Emu

Majestic Emu Chieftain

Same for me, shaved about 30 turns off my two peaceful attempts.

Could've been faster if I didn't have to wait at least 25 turns for the World Leader vote. Had the U.N. established and 50 votes secured a little after t220; then I got to twiddle my thumbs (aka annihilate barbarians/build a highway system) for a while.

11. Memoryjar

Memoryjar Emperor

Peacefull information âge T202. Whouaou, I need to stop to build wonders and settle too many cities. :)

12. Cromagnus

Cromagnus Deity

It must have gone well, my first entry is no longer in first place! And yes, warpath is unquestionably superior in this gauntlet. I question why you'd kill all the CS though. You need more votes to win that way. (4 allies = 8 votes, killing 4 CS only reduces the count by 4)

If you don't kill them, it's not like you're at risk of one of the other AIs allying them on Warlord. ;)

13. klaskeren

klaskeren Prince

i didn't kill off the CS, i just meant that i killed all the civs but one, who could vote, kinda unbalanced how the best way to win diplomatically is through killing everyone, and being denounced etc.

14. Memoryjar

Memoryjar Emperor

How can you see that ? I thought you can see you rank at the end of the gauntlet.

15. klaskeren

klaskeren Prince

16. Memoryjar

Memoryjar Emperor

Ok. I don't check the board after I submit a game. Thanks.

17. Cromagnus

Cromagnus Deity

Wait until it's been accepted or you won't see the change though. Just a reminder. :)

18. Cromagnus

Cromagnus Deity

Oh gotcha.. yeah that's basically what I did. I played pretty inefficiently though. I left quite a few turns on the table by not finishing my warpath until ~t174. I wasn't in a hurry, I was just slowly killing off one AI at a time, at my leisure. I'll have to give this one more go. :)

19. Salomo

Salomo Warlord

Just finished my first BNW diplo game - naturally not in a competitive time.

How do those of you that have played a few more of these games handle the start phase? In particular, what starting policies do you pick?

In G&K I liked starting with and completing Tradition for games that required fast research. Usually I wouldnt build a second city until after having built NC (and, if reasonable, GL and Petra).

For BNW I'm not so sure, especially with Shoshone in Great Plains: The Pathfinder abilities can be used to get a second city up quite fast, which could be a pretty nice advantage.

Any thoughts?

20. klaskeren

klaskeren Prince

i can only speak for myself, but i like to get all 4 cities up before NC, i was able to grab philo with a late GL in my game, but that was a bit lucky i guess, didnt need GL really though. I think that if you are doing peaceful mode, then trad/lib then rationalism is best, and if you are doing warmode, then trad/patronage/rationalsim is best