GAK Tech Tree

Honestly I don't like the new tech tree. First, they left out mass media, but in fairness they've replaced it (kinda) with telecommunications which is broader IRL. Second, steam power after industrialization? Are you kidding me? I don't see the logic here based IRL. Third, and this is what ires me the most, why have an atomic and information era? IRL the atomic and information ages are brief spans of time relative to the much broader Modern Era, like in games before G&K.

So basically I base my judgement of the tech tree to real life. On the plus side, they've added Drama & Poetry and Architecture.

Honestly I don't like the new tech tree. First, they left out mass media, but in fairness they've replaced it (kinda) with telecommunications which is broader IRL. Second, steam power after industrialization? Are you kidding me? I don't see the logic here based IRL. Third, and this is what ires me the most, why have an atomic and information era? IRL the atomic and information ages are brief spans of time relative to the much broader Modern Era, like in games before G&K.

So basically I base my judgement of the tech tree to real life. On the plus side, they've added Drama & Poetry and Architecture.

except that 'modern era' actually spans the time frame from the Medieval era to now. So it's not that useful. The colloquial version is also not that useful as 'now is now' not before or after.

The Atomic Age and the Information Age (Age really in ".") are actually used consistently enough and are dissimilar enough to count them as more useful that the modern era.

As per Industrialization vs. Steam Power:

Steam powered ships/rails came during the '2nd' Industrial Revolution, but before you had coal powered ships, you had coal mining/factories that used it.

So that actually makes sense (unlike Oil ships when you don't have Oil).

except that 'modern era' actually spans the time frame from the Medieval era to now. So it's not that useful. The colloquial version is also not that useful as 'now is now' not before or after.

Technically you're right, but I think the definition Civ uses is the time period between 1900 to the present day. From the looks of it, the term "Modern Era" is an arbitrary definition.

Technically you're right, but I think the definition Civ uses is the time period between 1900 to the present day. From the looks of it, the term "Modern Era" is an arbitrary definition.

Of course it's arbitrary. Putting aside that *all* definitions of "Eras" are pretty arbitrary, the Renaissance, Medieval Era, Classical Era and Modern Era are particularly arbitrary.

Also the Ancient Era, when you consider that Jaguar Warriors were around in 1490 CE, not 5000 BCE.

Top Bottom