Game Crash on opening orbital view when too many satelites are launched.

prop_dynamic

Chieftain
A game crashing bug I would like to report, is a graphical glitch with the orbital view. When too many satelites would be launched, the game crashes as the orbital view glitches out. I've supplied a savegame where the bug can be reproduced, as soon as you launch a miasmic condensor which has been produced in one of my cities, the game crashes. I've used one mod in this game, the one for advanced startup options but have not tinkered with any of its settings. Also the game is at turn 336, so any startup errors would not have much effect any more. Can someone please inform me if they can reproduce the crash with this save game when they launch the satellite?

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/6cs0rc4f91goowr/AAAxiUay6CeAfCeWexXu6X0za?dl=0

P.S.: I've already reported the bug on the thread on the 2k forums, but I wanted to post it here as well, to make sure the devs see it. Also, another user bzjackson there posted the following as a response to me, so I'm not the only one:

I came to post the same thing, this is something that we have seen since the beginning but noone has posted it, I thought it might have been something just on me and my friends side. We figured out how to play tho. If you do launch any sat units then it wont opt you into sat mode, other than that if you click on the sat mode, then yea it crashes because the AI or other players have 500+ sats in the air. Not only this but it does seem to cause game lag, me and 1 friend will play against a few AI we can not put up and sats due to the game breaking crashes so we made do without them. but then the lag comes in and it takes forever per turn due to this. Hopefully this can get patched really really fast. Big fan of civ, been playing since colonization, this is the most different of them I have seen yet some in a good way some not, but either way still really enjoy the game, but this issue has become unbearable.

Hi there,

I have the same problem too. But it seems it only happens when I am playing massive maps...

Yeah I have this problem as well - incredibly annoying..
I'm playing on a huge map and have dozens of satellites in orbit, orbital layer view opens fine, but if I drag the screen while in orbital layer view it always crashes and have to restart the game..

Also, when I launch enough satellites, the satellite beams representing the satellite units in the standard view (non-orbital layer view) start flashing and not showing the beam animation..

Seems there are major performance issues with the orbital layer..

Same problem I am having. whenever I go to orbital view it crashes. I have a massive map. The game play is fine mostly. I do have some black squares at the start of the game. I had this with Civ 5 and many maps just got to the point the was so much going on that the game wouldn't even load or would soon crash. BE is leaning that direction although I can continue play if i stay away from orbital view.

Bumping up this (not so) old thread. I got the same problem, standard map, covered my lands with satellites. Now when i try to launch that one last weather controller, the game crashes.

Hearing about how the orbital view has performance issues, i tried lowering a few graphical settings, from ultra to low; effects, overlay, shadows, etc. It.. kinda worked. Now i don't crash automatically, but when i go to orbital view i get a bunch of yellow and black lines crossing the screen; if i take too long in orbital view or try to launch anything, the game crashes. Is there no solution for this? :(

edit: argh! After much testing and crashing, i've found that lower graphics do not help. But decreasing the amount of satellites does. So i went back to an older autosave and deleted 20 of my solar collectors, that solved the problem. But the AI loves to spam collectors, so eventually the world will reach the too-many-satellites singularity number and crash anyway when you go orbital. Fortunately you can shoot down enemy satellites with artillery without going into the orbital layer. My advice for people crashing like that is: when you find this bug, forget about the orbital layer feature, play as if it didn't exist. Leave your older satellites to run out of fuel, but DO NOT GO into orbital view anymore.

The first link to the save is not working. Can you please repost? Thanks!

The first link to the save is not working. Can you please repost? Thanks!

My first thought reading your post, dshirk, was https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEy_x3OlW4A

'cause you could easily reproduce it by creating an own savegame with the editor. But anyway. Here's one attached to my post, which has the problem (happens with and without Mantle). Pretty annoying.

Just scroll to the last remaining enemy capital and press the satellite view button... and ADIOS AMIGO -> Crash to desktop. :hammer2:

Attachments

• Rejinaldo de Alencar_TURN 483.rar
    931 KB · Views: 345
No luck reproducing using your save unfortunately. Do you happen to have any .mdmp files in your game root directory that has a date and time stamp that line up with one of the orbital view crashes?

Yep, all of these (see attached)
Thx for the quick reply. :c5moves:

Attachments

• Sid Meier's Civilization Beyond Earth.rar
    212.6 KB · Views: 343
I'm on a small map and I'm playing on difficulty Apollo and it's turn 340, there's hella satellites and I can't launch another one because every time I go to launch it - the game crashes. This really sucks. I need every thing I can get at the point I'm at in the game and the fact that I'm even more disadvantaged against the A.I. makes me not even want to play anymore - which sucks because this was a good game.. I guess I'll wait for the patch but until then I'm one sad puppy. You can't make a great <snip> game that everyone wants to play and more or less yank it from us after we're hooked! <snip>. :goodjob:

Moderator Action: Please get familiar with forum rules. Barely disguised profanity and discussion of drug dealing and drug use are not acceptable here.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

Just started playing. Same problem. Any joy on this thread yet?

I have a similar problem, the game crashes if I enter the orbital view and browse the map in it. I'm not sure if the cause is too many satellites launched or what. I will attach the game crash dump file, DXDiag file, the windows error file (Report) and the game save file.
The problem is (reproducible)

My machine:
CPU:Intel Core i9-9900K - 3.60GHz
RAM: 16Gb
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070
VRAM: 8Gb

Sid Meier's Civilization Beyond Earth Version: 1.1.2.4035

Attachments

• civilizationbe_dx11_152247_crash_2021_3_22T0_56_24C0.mdmp
    624.4 KB · Views: 81
  • DxDiag.txt
    97.7 KB · Views: 89
  • Report.txt
    26.5 KB · Views: 84
  • Leo_TURN 707.CivBESave
    1.5 MB · Views: 80
Can confirm this bug still haven't been fixed yet. Encountered it today on massive apollo difficulty map.

Top Bottom