Game Crash/System Reboot... HELP PLS!!

EliteLord

Chieftain
Ok, I installed the game yesterday, it didn't work first due the ATI problem, but I fixed it quick with the support on the official civ IV site.
I played the tutorial, the american independence scenario, the WWII scenario and then I tried that Ice Age world map (what if civs started 20000 years earlier...) and then it happened: the game crashed, my desktop just came up... then I launched the game again, loaded autosave and after about 15 mins it crashed again... sich...
today I loaded autosave again, crashed again after 30 mins... loaded autosave again, and this time it crashed again after a few minutes AND my sytem just rebooted :eek:
Is there anyway to resolve this :confused: ... I'm desperate... pls help!! :(

I know how you feel. Welcome to the club. Wait for the patch and hope that it fixes your crashing.

Indeed welcome to the club. If you look around you can probably find a dozen threads like this.

People... I have a top of the line computer with more RAM/SPEED/ROM etc etc etc... than most people do...and a Radeon 9800 Pro... This Damn game would lock up 3-5 minutes into it and kick me to a black screen and I'd have to reboot the whole computer. I tried Catalyst...that didn't work... I tried the old drivers 4.18...that didn't work...I tried moving that damn ART05 file or whatever and that didn't work... I tried re-installing, lower graphics...name it... BUT... I didn't try this fix...

Go to desktop and click properties
Settings
Advanced
SMARTGART

Turn that damn thing off!! Under AGP speed... Take it down to off... Now that thing works great... MY GAME WORKS NOW BECAUSE OF THIS!!! :goodjob: I complained all over the place about how my Radeon 9800 Pro didn't work with the game...Tried EVERYTHING... all the fixes except for this one. And this one actually worked.... I played the Revolutionary War for the last hour with no crashes... Of course...I got my a$$ handed to me, but...I had fun and the game didn't crash... SPREAD THE WORD!! Now I'm not flipping out like I was before----> :mad:

Thanks to whoever found this... I forgot where the post was... Dammit! :confused:

Thrasher0723 said:
I didn't try this fix...

Settings
Advanced
SMARTGART

Turn that damn thing off!! Under AGP speed... Take it down to off... Now that thing works great... MY GAME WORKS NOW BECAUSE OF THIS!!! :goodjob:

Hehe, I never turned that on anyway, it has never been on :) so that didn't do any problem:)

Thrasher0723 said:
People... I have a top of the line computer with more RAM/SPEED/ROM etc etc etc... than most people do...and a Radeon 9800 Pro... This Damn game would lock up 3-5 minutes into it and kick me to a black screen and I'd have to reboot the whole computer. I tried Catalyst...that didn't work... I tried the old drivers 4.18...that didn't work...I tried moving that damn ART05 file or whatever and that didn't work... I tried re-installing, lower graphics...name it... BUT... I didn't try this fix...

Settings
Advanced
SMARTGART

Turn that damn thing off!! Under AGP speed... Take it down to off... Now that thing works great... MY GAME WORKS NOW BECAUSE OF THIS!!! :goodjob: I complained all over the place about how my Radeon 9800 Pro didn't work with the game...Tried EVERYTHING... all the fixes except for this one. And this one actually worked.... I played the Revolutionary War for the last hour with no crashes... Of course...I got my a$$ handed to me, but...I had fun and the game didn't crash... SPREAD THE WORD!! Now I'm not flipping out like I was before----> :mad:

Thanks to whoever found this... I forgot where the post was... Dammit! :confused:

Sounds like close to the same system as me and the same hoops I've been jumping through to fix this game. Haven't tried changing the AGP setting though, sounds promising.

aquavit said:
Sounds like close to the same system as me and the same hoops I've been jumping through to fix this game. Haven't tried changing the AGP setting though, sounds promising.

Tried it but it didn't work for me.

Top Bottom