Game crashes

I'm currently deeply involved in a game 100+hr's, Eternity speed Gigantic Map size, Flexible difficulty.

My game will crash in 1764 AD, I've enabled the log, and looked at the in between turns (the AI research time changing).

It seems to crash once it gets through 1/2 the AI's on the score board.

System :-
Ubuntu 12.04, 64 Bits
Dual core
6 Meg of ram
1 Gig Video card.

Any suggestions without having to look would also be appreciated.

File exceeds the upload limits of 2 Meg, its 3.7Meg

I can tell you its not the following:

Video card size, drivers or operating system.
Memory never exceeds 1.7 Gig in total for the system.
Not game engine, I've had random crashes before, but always been able to play on.
Nothing I"m building, as crash happens during AI movements.

Yeah, I've "solved" the problem.

1. I just went into world builder, saved a world builder copy.
2. Text edited the world builder copy, changed minor nation status for Mansu, Basil and Charles to 0 (not minor nations)
3. Started a special senerio, choose the the world builder save, began game.
4. Had to select my Civ etc again, and go through ALL units (I have so MANY!!!!over 350+, 195 workers alone, 70 cities ave 3 troops per city, religions magi and Zorestrainism spreaders ave 2 per city)
5. Played through turn, though now all civs seem to have changed civics and my gold rate is 4K+ @ 100% (don't know what I've done) mind you in golden age (double counted???)
6. Saved it as a Max compatibility save.

P.S. Mansu jumped from 6th to 3rd just by coming out of minor status

5. Played through turn, though now all civs seem to have changed civics and my gold rate is 4K+ @ 100% (don't know what I've done) mind you in golden age (double counted???)

I think I know what you've done: you've reloaded the game after some xml changes or after having started another game with some of the new xml files from svn version before reloading your original game. Since income and science are calculated according to xml files, using modified xml files different from those you used at the start of the game, causes miscalculations: the game is of course still playable but gold/science/culture/etc will work differently and according to the latest xml files.

Yes your right, but I also started the crashed game.

BUT...I never altered the files in the current game folder i.e. /.../...A New Dawn

I just renamed that to something else?? I forget, tried the SVN 580, found it wasn't a full 'Beta' release, needed 5.76 or something, so I changed names back and resumed this game.

It still crashed, I then had the idea, save as world builder and start that...No crash, and still same gold rate. (I think, check that as well with original save)

Ah...text edit world builder file, that I did, changed as I said Mansa, Basil and Charles from minor and it played for 1 turn.

After spending 1hr, going through 350 warriors, 195 workers, and 20+ ships, I saved game, about to resume today.

I can't see how any XML files changed, they were always in 2 separate folders, and I never merged. I can't see how new XML files with there calculations, would cause my gold to jump from 35% and cash flow positive in a golden age to 100% positive in a golden age, and positive to the value of 4K+. The only reasons I can think of are:
1) No expenses for cities (my biggest cost by far)
2) No expenses at all

I'll check in the game, and report back.

I may have tried to download SVN directly to game folder, but it failed, saying it already existed.

Doesn't really matter, I'll play game till I get tired of it, I like to research and build ALL cities to same standard. Probably go all the way to shielding 3 and scientific victory. I just love it when my city build in frozen North/South is bigger then the AI's capitals and has shielding 3.

I also settle every city from day 1, for the 3 ring radius, with no overlap, Rivers preferred.

Ha Ha problem partially solved..well I found the error causing the problem.

Inflation (insert comment from josePH_II ) is set to zero.....OMFG...............INFLATION is causing a loss of roughly 15K.

Spoiler :

its only 1765 in July, and I was running the corporate civic (trying to get corps to be founded, but need 3 civ's with technology)

Hmm when I think about it, 35% research @ cash flow +ive sounds reasonable. I do have continental empire with 70 cities, all with internal trade routes.

Scaled to empire expenses, as I grow in cities, so do expenses. Hmm

Inflation (insert comment from josePH_II ) is set to zero.....OMFG...............INFLATION is causing a loss of roughly 15K.

Say What?!! :p

JosEPh :)

Another thing I just noticed, they've all 'forgotten' previous war declarations.

Napoleon, the most aggressive of aggressive civs, only has 3 demerits with 3 Civs, from having declared war immediately.

Spoiler :

Probably forgotten all other previous bonuses and demerits.

I DIDN'T change anything else in the world builder text edit, only minors=1 to 0

Saved file and loaded it as a special scenario, (only way to load worldbuilder saves)

These various files, must be contained in another folder that was deleted upon starting a NEW special scenario.

So I'd need to merge these files into the current save (max compatibility), but I have absolutely no idea of what, where, who many, or how to do it.

Anyway, problem found, solution..is beyond me.

I don't know about the wars but speaking of the gold change, I'm pretty sure it depends on you trying to play the latest svn build while playing your old game. I bet the gold income and expenses got screwed up after you've tried the svn version. No matter if the two versions were in different folderzs and you didn't mix files: if you've started a game using svn version of the game, its xml files are still cached when you resume your old game. I bet that when you've reloaded the game after modifying the game with WB to change minor into full civs, the game asked you if you wanted to "recalculate": that's because xml files were still cached. You can try to solve the problem this way:
-reload your game before your wb modification
-exit the game (to desktop), clear the cache deleting the cache folder, restart civ4 and select "play now" and start a game (this pretty much clears the cache completely)
-exit the game again (to desktop)
-restart civ4 again, load your save before wb modification, modify everything you need with wb, then quit the game and reload again
-play on
I'm almost sure this will solve your gold problem. Feel free to try it and let me know. :)

I've just shut down the computer completely. That will clear the cashe best.

Next day or so, started new game, load the save, inflation is still the same.

Spoiler :
(Now 5%)

BUT, reading it again, I have to load the save BEFORE the world builder change, and using the SVN 580, Change that in World builder, exit, load the new world builder save, (start special scenario) play 1 turn. Exit, and load up the latest save I've made. I'll try that as well.

I'm willing to try it, but if it doesn't work, I'll continue to play current game, I've set science to zero, and only have a few cities on wealth (realistically that's what I'll do). Trouble is I'm 15K in credit even with 5% inflation.

I've just shut down the computer completely. That will clear the cashe best.

No, unfortunately this doesn't clear the cache at all, AFAIK; you should go to

C:\Users\[USERNAME]\AppData\Local\My Games\Beyond the Sword\cache and delete all the files there. At least under Win7 and I think Vista too; don't know about WinXP.

BUT, reading it again, I have to load the save BEFORE the world builder change, and using the SVN 580, Change that in World builder, exit, load the new world builder save, (start special scenario) play 1 turn. Exit, and load up the latest save I've made. I'll try that as well.

Correct, that should work; and if asked to recalculate due to changes in xml, choose "no".

Besides deleting the files 45*38'N posted you can do 2 other things to "clear the cache".
1. While the Mod is loading hold down the "Shift" key.
Or
2. Start a new game thru Play now, let it load and then Load your save you want to play. With this one you may have to reset your BUG Options though as it will genrally clear them too.

JosEPh

Don't worry, I've just abandoned the game.

It was locking up for up to 30 Secs after the turn was played.

It's just no fun, sitting there, with the music playing, but Video, is frozen. Mouse will move but all animations and actions are frozen, though they will accumulate to be actioned upon un-freezing.

Games well and truly won, If I had Mercy victory enabled, I'd have been granted that long ago, 2/3's of the U.N. votes, 6-12 times most categories, its a win, I just like to build my cities, expand them all to the 3rd ring, and have my last settled city, encased in ice on the coast, be larger then 95% or the other AI's.

Thanks, but don't sweat it.

On my crash, I think it was Mansu, not coming out of minor status, as soon as I changed his status in worldbuilder, from 1 to zero for minors, it continued fine.

Top Bottom