Game performance gone to hell on a decent PC

Tocamac

Chieftain
So I’ve had Civ VI since it launched and the game used to absolutely fly. I’ve got an 8086K @ 5.3 GHz, 32 GB of DDR4-3333 @ Cas 14 and an overclocked Aorus 1080 Ti running on a 4K monitor.

I decided to run the Gathering Storm benchmarks a couple days ago and realised that not only have my frame rates gone from 80-90 FPS to 20 FPS or so, my AI benchmark has gone from 31 secs to over a minute sometimes.

First thing I did was disable the 2K Launcher and that got my AI timings down to 45 secs or so and gave me one (ONE!) video benchmark at around 80-90 FPS again. Since then I’ve deleted the whole game and reinstalled, performance is even worse now, deleted my video drivers and done a clean re-install… nothing seems to help.

I’ve got plenty of spare SSD space, CPU runs cool, various CPU benchmarks show no reduction in performance. I ran a bunch of 3DMark tests and those are showing a ~10% reduction in score from three years ago, but that’s because I must’ve heavily overclocked for those tests and made sure nothing was running in the background and now I’m just running the benchmark.

Any ideas what the issue could be?

TL; DR: My system seems fine but Civ 6 performance has gone to hell and I can’t seem to fix it.

So did a bunch of in-game testing on a 16 player Enormous YnAmp map today with Steam's FPS counter active and I seem to be getting the expected 75-85 fps in-game even during the end game stages. If I enable VSync it's a buttery smooth 60 fps on my 60fps 4K monitor.

Turn times also seem to be what I normally expect. I *have* noticed that games take longer to start than they once used to.

Not sure if there's a bug with the benchmark, a driver or what, but it *seems* like the performance hit is (mercifully) only manifesting itself in the benchmark and not during actual gameplay. Anyone else notice this?

A lot of people have had the same problem. That is why I am here. To see if there is anything to do. It really kills the fun in the game. It is really unplayable like this.

Top Bottom