Game performance

Shadowhal

Warlord
Hi,

I was wondering how much the game has been optimised between the Victor build and release. It took my computer 20-30 minutes to load a save or start a fresh game in Victor. If it's anything like that in the release version, I'll have to wait for a hardware upgrade before getting it.

The Poe build didn't even load after 40-50 min but maybe Denuvo had a hand in that.

Someone posted the game pass being on for cheap atm so maybe I can try via that route if private life frees up enough to set it up in time.

Thanks for any views.

(as to why it's so slow, maybe related to my slow conventional hard drive, it being middling laptop at best, and a few years old. Could probably do with a fresh install, when I get around to it.)

Sorry yes. It was a quick post between breaks.

It's an Acer Apire laptop
Intel 7300hq
Geforce 1050
8 GB ram
5400 rpm hdd as I could determine.

In a way, I figured that relative impressions between beta builds and final builds would give me a sense of what improvements I can expect, independent of exact system specs. Maybe naive.

Intel 7300hq
Geforce 1050
8 GB ram

In a way, I figured that relative impressions between beta builds and final builds would give me a sense of what improvements I can expect, independent of exact system specs. Maybe naive.
Those specs are pretty poor, of course, especially the HDD. I cannot speak for the difference between the beta and now, but my machine opens a save in a few seconds. It's a beast though, Ryzen 5 5600X, 32 GB RAM, Radeon 6700, M2 SSD.

I think your issue is primarily caused by your HDD. I had similar issues of long load times for civ 4/5/6 with my old laptop, which had an HDD. My new one has a SSD and it’s blazingly fast when loading games/starting up. Turn times are somewhat better but nowhere near as much, because the new processor is not much of a step up.

Intel 7300hq
Geforce 1050
8 GB ram

I've got a i5-7500, 16 gig ram, GTX 1050 Ti, and I can comfortable play huge maps on full graphics with seconds, not minutes wait times. I do have an NVMe drive though which is a massive difference from your specs.

i switched to vulcan mode as per instructions posted over at reddit by one of the dev team members.... my CPU usage is now less than half than it was with D3D

audio is still a problem for me

did not have any issues in the last two betas

[Bad performances/Random crash but my GPU is good]
We're working on it. Our 3D devs are doing crazy maths as we speak.

Please try to launch the game in vulkan mode. You can either do it by adding the "-force-vulkan" parameter in the launch option on Steam, or by creating a shortcut on humankind.exe and adding the parameter at the end of the "Target" field.

Thanks for all the advice, I really appreciate it.

I'll have a go through the game pass and check the vulcan mode.

Medium-term, I'll want to explore whether I can switch to an ssd and whether it's even worth it. And a few other things. That rig is just so slow at absolutely everything. It's alright once it gets going on software but loading anything is just tedious.

Would be great if I can work it out as the game seems just my cup of tea from what I've read and the limited experience I had through open devs.

Slight off topic - Dale - how do I reckon I'd fare with Old World given me specs and issues? That's the other big game I want to get as soon as it's practical.

Hey Guys, was wondering if you can tell me if I can meet the specs?
Ryzen 7 3700U with Vega 10 Graphics on a AsusVivobook. I think the issue is the Ram, 8GB but only 6Gb physical and 2GB video.

From what I can see after checking a few things, your graphics card should NOT be able to handle this :(.

Steam allows you to return games within...er... a certain time frame, so you can actually try and return it if it doesn't work out. I'd not have too high hopes though.

I've got a i5-7500, 16 gig ram, GTX 1050 Ti, and I can comfortable play huge maps on full graphics with seconds, not minutes wait times. I do have an NVMe drive though which is a massive difference from your specs.

Strange... I have a GTX 1660Ti ULTRA, so the beast with big oversized fans, and I still see the GPU overusage problem which forces me to play at Simple.

Strange... I have a GTX 1660Ti ULTRA, so the beast with big oversized fans, and I still see the GPU overusage problem which forces me to play at Simple.
Did you try it with an activated FPS lock?

Slight off topic - Dale - how do I reckon I'd fare with Old World given me specs and issues? That's the other big game I want to get as soon as it's practical.

Both Humankind and Old World use Unity 2020, so expect similar results.

ULTRA is a different class to a straight up Ti. Pretty certain they aren't comparable.

ULTRA is a different class to a straight up Ti. Pretty certain they aren't comparable.

Nope, EVGA called its double big fan triple heatsink XC ULTRA, it's a 1660Ti pure class but cooler (in both senses).

Nope, EVGA called its double big fan triple heatsink XC ULTRA, it's a 1660Ti pure class but cooler (in both senses).

Ahhh.... Confused ultra with super.

But it's Unity, and some classes of NVIDIA struggle on Unity for some reason.

Ahhh.... Confused ultra with super.

But it's Unity, and some classes of NVIDIA struggle on Unity for some reason.

Yeah, exactly my thoughts... it's Unity. Same issue with Old World, and some others based on that engine. Bad decision.

Top Bottom