1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Game Speed and Map Size

Discussion in 'Civ4 Strategy Articles' started by Chronis, Feb 12, 2011.

1. dalamb

dalamb Deity

@Um: why do you say the number of relationships is factorial? Normally I'd think that it's just the number of ordered pairs, which is n(n-1). Does A's relationship with B affect his relationship with C? I guess vassalhood might count, but since vassals can't have vassals this should be at most n(n-1)(n-2).

2. Um the Muse

Um the Muse King

Yeah, it would. Don't forget about worst enemy status and if an AI is at war with somebody else, it isn't plotting to fight you, among other considerations. Good catch, though! I didn't really think my answer all the way through :)

3. dalamb

dalamb Deity

I can only think of a few 3-step relationships (some of which you already listed or alluded to):
    1. B is at war with C so won't start one with A
    2. B has worst enemy C so is unhappy when A trades with C (or takes C as a vassal).
    3. C vassalizes to B while at war with A (so B is now at war with A).
    4. When A has weak vassal B it affects something about C's view of A's power -- it seems like it ought to be "more vassals means more power" but I vaguely recall something about averaging power.
    5. A bribes B to war with C which causes C to lower its opinion of A.