Gamespy multiplayer - possible?

Meatbomb

Chieftain
Hi guys.

Well, the question is there in the title.

As background, it seems that with the newest LoR it is possible to log in and be in the Game Spy lobby. But no games appear.

I assumed that maybe only games that matched your own mod currently active would show up. But even when one of us created a game, the other could not see it.

Does anyone know if LoR via Gamespy is possible?

I also have a question about multiplayer:

I tried it just now with revolutions disabled in LAN.
Sometimes on the first round all religions get founded and lots of white round buttons appear below my city with numbers in them.

and the first warrior if inside the city has lots of buttons with no image in them and 1 to 3 found taoism buttons which i can not click. furthermore i can not click any of the normal buttons like fortify, gotto, etc.

The only religion option enabled in the revDCM tab is the inquisition option. And i made sure all human LAN player (we are 2) had the same options.

Any idea whats wrong?

Hmmm, I'm not really sure about multiplayer. I know some people have said they play this mod in multiplayer, so it must work. Also I know RoM and FFH2 get played in multipayer, so this mod should be able to do it the same way. Need to look into this more, I'll go into the civfanatics chat later tonight and see about how to do this and post instructions once I figure that out. If someone with experience knows, please post the instructions, would save me some time :)

The easiest way to connect to multiplayer games is just to use Direct IP Connection.

Have one person create a game. Everyone else just needs to join by typing in the host's ip address go here if you all aren't sure how to find it.

Does this method work?

no multiplayer visible with new version... will probe further

same as with meatbomb... :blush:

and the direct IP is not always available from your ISP, it costs $5 more a month usually... we could never get the DHCP assigned IP to work on Comcast.

btw, the old LoR worked multiplayer perfectly for us, its the new 3.19 adapted one that is now all of a sudden not working in mp...

btw, the old LoR worked multiplayer perfectly for us, its the new 3.19 adapted one that is now all of a sudden not working in mp...

Bah, that's most certainly an introduced error from RevDCM 2.50

Please report your experiences here:
Revolution Project Forum
or here:
RevDCM main thread

This will need to be fixed in the RevDCM core, which is supported by jdog and glider. Any information you can give them on the change and effects you noticed from LoR 0.8 to 0.9 in terms of multiplayer will help them debug and fix the issue faster. So please let them know.

Bah, that's most certainly an introduced error from RevDCM 2.50

Please report your experiences here:
Revolution Project Forum
or here:
RevDCM main thread

This will need to be fixed in the RevDCM core, which is supported by jdog and glider. Any information you can give them on the change and effects you noticed from LoR 0.8 to 0.9 in terms of multiplayer will help them debug and fix the issue faster. So please let them know.

phungus420, i appreciate all your hard work, will do, thanks! :goodjob:

glider is trying to track down the cause of the multiplayer breakage. To do this we need to know when the problem in the RevDCM appeared. Did anyone have success using any of the LoR test builds in multiplayer, or were all multi games that were played done in 0.8.2? Knowing if any of the test builds worked or didn't would let us know if the problem was in the RevDCM 2.0 core or showed up in the 2.5 core, that would narrow down the cause alot, so this information would be very useful.

@Phungus
Multiplayer does need a way to debug it. We are on opposite ends of the global village and so time does not permit connections often. However I can rig up a multiplayer setup over here in the land downunder. However this requires motivation and motivation comes for having a clear place to start. At this point, it would be good to know at what point multiplayer is broken. Is it at the point of connect? Is it in the subtleties of game play details? Is it in the exchange of game events? Narrowing it down a bit would help. A good slab of time would also help.

glider and I are going to try to debug Multiplayer. But we need more information from you guys, specifically what is wrong, and when and how do these errors occur?

@phungus420

I would like to note to your attention that I just now finished a multi-player game of LoR online. The situation was that of 1 vs 1 and several AI players.
The MP feature worked for both me and my friend flawlessly.

Yes, in the lobby, none of the vanilla Bts games are visible to players loading the LoR Mod, but this is something I would expect as no doubt normal Bts games can not be played using the Mod. But those games that are set up using this Mod are very much visible and joinable.

Everything else in the lobby is as it should be. Chat, Buddies, Player List, etc are all there and working correctly.

Simply wait for a LoR game to be created, hit the refresh button and there it appears.

I also intend to start and play a true multi-player game in the next few days. 4-6 human players. And while I expect there to be no issue there either, I will post here to let you know if any difficulties arise...or for that matter, if all appears to be well.

Sweet, glad to hear it. I'll remove the known bug entry refering to broken MP. Thanks for figuring it out, so the only special thing you did to get the Gamespy lobby to work was to refresh? Any other instructions people need to follow?

Nope. Nothing special at all. Worked the same way as if there was no Mod...with the exception that vanilla (or any different Mod) games are not displayed.

Once someone has a LoR game loaded, just hitting refresh should make it available for joining.

Wiz4War: huh. Me and my buddy, both with LoR running, and refreshing many times but neither of us can see the other's game. We are now both going to the non-test 0.9.3, we'll see if that will change anything...

(and we have both successfully played non-LoR games in the Gamespy way)

All I can tell you is that I and my friends are running the latest LoR release and it works for us without issue. I don't know if there's a possible issue with your install or whatever but it should be working.

have you guys tried connecting via direct IP? It is very easy just have the host give you his/her IP address http://www.whatismyip.com/

its not so easy... you need port forwarding if you have a dynamic IP which most of us have. see http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=146735 for which ports you need to open on your router. also understand the overall situation such as seen here at http://www.strategamer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1189.

for example you have a local PC with a local IP such as 192.168.1.102. You need to get it on the public IP system which is where the whatismyip.com kicks in. That public IP has to translate into your local machine.

Once your local machine accepts the designated ports you can skip the whole GameSpy . .. .. .. .. .. .. .. . and do direct IP connect, which I have found to be a much better MP experience. For example we couldnt play LoR without this development.

And for the record RoM messes up with OOS errror even with this connection... LoR is the only advanced mod worth its effort imho! Remember it is two fold, you have to get the public IP to pass through via ports on your router so that your local PC will function as a direct IP host.

Good luck! :p

Top Bottom