Gametext, XML, and Python Thread

The Capo

godless Heathen

GAMETEXT XML PYTHON

This thread is for any gametext, XML, or code (Python and SDK) that will go into this mod. For the most port this thread will deal with XML, particularly for diplomacy text, pedia and interface text, and leader personalities.

I suppose I should ask this now. Diplomacy II needs translators for all new text in the game. I would appreciate any help I can get in this, if you do volunteer and the language is not your native language please assure me that you are a fluent speaker and would write it in a proper and professional manner.

I would appreciate any help I get on this at all, so if you think you can do it please let me know. Thanks.

You need hungarian? ;)

I was just joking. There is no real demand/need for hungarian I guess
If there will be crowds demonstrating here for it, I will most certanly change my mind and do it, but till then I will pass :)

I was just joking. There is no real demand/need for hungarian I guess
If there will be crowds demonstrating here for it, I will most certanly change my mind and do it, but till then I will pass :)

I'd pass too, I mean you know how much crap you gotta write!?!?

Uh, yeah, please volunteer to do this. :mischief:

I'll volunteer this winter (y'all's summer) for German and/or Spanish. I don't remember if I've said that before, but just in case, I'm here.

Firstly, thank you very much Vortilex. I hope you are aware that this is going to be an extremely difficult and time-consuming task for you. The only thing I can really do to help you out would be to try my best at making the extra text more concise (I think altogether there are around twenty to twenty five text files added) so it is easier for you to alter what has actually been changed.

On a related note, we are nearing the final stages of this mod (I know the latest lack of material here doesn't really denote that fact, but it is true). I think this playtest will be the second-to-last one. So we are starting to get to the area where cleaning up/polishing is important. That's why I am asking any of the playtesters to continue playtesting and please take note of anything you notice, even if it is something small (like a text issue, bad grammar, a misspelling, a stupid or out of place looking unit or building, anything no matter how mundane is important to this mod) and either report it to me via pm, or even better than that please report it in the playtest feedback thread. :goodjob:

This next playtest should be out sometime next week, but I'll have more information on that in the main thread.

Alright! :D I'm always noticing these things anyway. Should I just start working on that once the Playtest comes out or do you want raw XML files with the text ready to go by next week?

Alright! :D I'm always noticing these things anyway. Should I just start working on that once the Playtest comes out or do you want raw XML files with the text ready to go by next week?

If you want to fix the text yourself that would be fine, although honestly it is easier if you just tell me what is wrong and what to change, that way I can do it all at once rather than try to figure out how to merge multiple files. If that makes sense.

This thread hardly gets used and I feel like this is just as good a place as any to handle this...

Alright, well the new playtest will feature multiple derivative civs. So I need somebody to do that for me, not really because I can't, but just because I think it is better to get someone else's opinion on the matter.

For instance; it allows for up to seven different civs, but should they all be utilized all the time? I have no idea. Anyway here is the file, you'll notice that right now ONLY the Americans have all seven slots, all you have to do is copy and paste that into each other civ's entry and then edit accordingly, so as an example right now the Celts say this for their derivative civ...

Code:
			</Leaders>
			<DerivativeCiv>CIVILIZATION_ENGLAND</DerivativeCiv>
			<CivilizationSelectionSound>AS3D_CELTS_SELECT</CivilizationSelectionSound>
			<CivilizationActionSound>AS3D_CELTS_ORDER</CivilizationActionSound>
		</CivilizationInfo>

With multiple derivative civs it would say something like this:

Code:
			</Leaders>
			<DerivativeCiv>CIVILIZATION_ENGLAND</DerivativeCiv>
			<DerivativeCiv2>CIVILIZATION_FRANCE</DerivativeCiv2>
			<DerivativeCiv3>CIVILIZATION_PORTUGAL</DerivativeCiv3>
			<DerivativeCiv4>CIVILIZATION_ROME</DerivativeCiv4>
			<DerivativeCiv5>NONE</DerivativeCiv5>
			<DerivativeCiv6>NONE</DerivativeCiv6>
			<DerivativeCiv7>NONE</DerivativeCiv7>
			<bColony>0</bColony>
			<CivilizationSelectionSound>AS3D_CELTS_SELECT</CivilizationSelectionSound>
			<CivilizationActionSound>AS3D_CELTS_ORDER</CivilizationActionSound>
		</CivilizationInfo>

Notice how I didn't use all of the tags. When you do this feel free to go ahead and use them all if you'd like, if you don't think it is necessary (like I didn't in this situation), don't use them all. The bColony tag shouldn't be messed with, all that means is that the civilization only appears as a colony. So in your personal game if you want some of the modules to only appear as colonies, or civs like America to only appear as colonies you can toggle this to 1 and that is how it will work. But I'll leave that up to the individual users to decide. So, who wants to do this?

Attachments

• CIV4CivilizationInfos.rar
    16.6 KB · Views: 211
I've never understood what those tags do...what is it exactly they do?

If you grant independence to your cities, the game checks if the Derivative civ is in play. If its not, then that is the civ spawned. If it is, or if there is no derivative civ, it just gets a random civ.

I can do this for you if you still need it

Never thought about it before but colonization will be a lot of fun now. No more America founding the Khmer Colony, pretty much every civ has a bunch of similar civs that can be connected to them.
America can get Puerto Rico and the Native American civs, Khmer gets Vietnam and Siam, etc.

I'm going to start doing this now. How should I go about doing this though? Should I ONLY give civs derivatives they are connected to, or should I make derivative civs simply similar cultures or even regions?

I think it should depend on the situation, but generally I would go with the former.

I can help you with some of these if you need.

I think it should depend on the situation, but generally I would go with the former.

I can help you with some of these if you need.

The former where possible, yea. I'm also up for helping if you need.

Top Bottom