Not open for further replies.
2. Arabia - Madrasa [20]
3. Australia - Outback Station [24]
8. Cree - Mekewap [15]
10. Egypt - Sphinx [6]
11. England - Royal Navy Dockyard [19]
14. Germany - Hansa [28]
15. Greece - Acropolis [28]
18. Inca - Terrace Farm [26] (25+1) Interesting and powerful. Even when I have to choose between Campuses/Holy Sites/Aqueducts/Terrace Farms/Mines, I never feel like these are bad. They get plenty of use and I still have to figure out where I do and don't want them. Delicious.
20. Indonesia - Kampung [25]
22. Khmer - Prasat [13]
24. Korea - Seowon [15]
25. Macedon - Basilikoi Paides [21]
26. Mali - Suguba [26]
27. Maori - Marae [26]
29. Mapuche - Chemamull [13]
34. Persia - Pairidaeza [27]
35. Phoenicia - Cothon [26] (29-3) So this is rather powerful, but I think it's definitely overrated. Settler spam is competing with this district for priority, and then the cities that can build Harbors are also the ones with the least production. Also, I want to take my chance to settle inland at the beginning of the game while I can still handle the loyalty, so I might only have 1 city that has time to build a Cothon before the Settler rush...if that.
36. Poland - Sukiennice [10]
37. Rome - Bath [19]
38. Russia - Lavra [31]
41. Spain - Mission [16]
42. Sumeria - Ziggurat [26]
43. Sweden - Open-Air Museum [2]

Honestly, at this point I am all for introducing a rule - in the next elimination thread - limiting amount of times one person can downvote one thing, I'm thinking of setting that limit to 3 or 4. On one hand a participant should be free, but on another it is natural reaction that the majority of group of people are annoyed when something's position in the ranking is disproportionally influenced by one person, and the problem is unavoidable in a system of +1 upvote -3 downvote and relatively few people participating here (dozens, not hundreds).
The limit could end when only few civs remained, so a participant couldn't be locked out of particiation.
Don't write people are annoyed with someone's behaviour, because you may be edited for possible trolling/

Anyway
Going back to an issue discussed earlier, that UI<UB<UD

I totally disagree. it is very situational, but I think UI are the top of it, because all civs can build base version of a building and district, but cannot build the base version of UI (unless it is Stepwell).
Half price district is nice, but other civs still can build this. And if you have very early unique imrovement with production and/or housing bonus (Terrace farm, oh no... Mekewap again) you will probably notice very little difference in construction time.
Examples
Cree. This is just slightly below average civ without Mekewaps. But mekewap rises them to one of the best sci civs, very competent in domination and in my opinion the very best civ for playing tall or wide&tall (edit, sorry, second, i forgot about Kongo). mekewap completely change the tier Cree belong to. Are mekewaps available to others? No. The closest would be hybryd of outbackstation, maali mine and stepwell. Noone gets it
Australia. Bonus hammers from unlocking UI come later than Mekewap upgrade, but because of outback station you don't build many mines, so no decrease in appeal = Australia benefits from its unique ability. If there were no outback stations, Australian unique ability simply is greatly weakened. Huge impact on Aus.
Indonesia. Already has strong abilities and unique unit, working perfectly together, but without Kampung city cannot grow/produce anything in resonable time. kampung has decisive role in growing indonesian empire. Can any other civ get it? No.
Sweden. This case is the most absurd for me. In unique ability thread, Kristina was upvoted highly and finished IMO highly overrated, even though any civ can get her bonus with proper micromanagement/ AI trading. And here we have Open museum close to eliminate very early, and I ask why. Its tourism output is slightly less than themed museum. But hey. Everyone can get themed museum, noone can get OpenAir museum (ok, Canada can sth less strong but similar). To get 1 museum themed you have to construct district+amfitheater+museum and get either archeologist or great person. To get SEVERAL open-air museum you need to construct one builder. It comes lateer than districts' museums, but once you get them, you spam them faster than aquiring great works. The difference between Kristina's final position and probable open-air museum position is a clear absurd to me. I am not a fan of Sweden in civ6, I played only once, so may be wrong)
Macedon. Everyone can get barracks, but what I rate is ONLY the unique ability of the building. And it is freaking awesome. Macedon without is is high one the list of scientific civs. But with Basilikoi Paides Macedon becomes the ultimate number1 science civ and probably the most broken in civ franchise history. (maybe not, civ4 Inca rules)
More exmaples: Acropolis and so on. Obvious case. It defines the Greek strategy.
And so on

And the opposite.
Rome. It is half priced, but if Baths don't exist, Rome still will be able to construct Aqueduct. So the bonus aqueduct gives to IZ is not a factor for me, half price is a little factor, just work more mines, get military engineer. And what if Rome would have not baths? They lose 2 housing and 1 ammenity to support this housings (oh, have I ever mentioned 2 housing is a part of bonus of 1 earlygame Mekewap? oh no... Mekewap again). Is this that impactful on Rome strategy? IMO not at all. Does it change the tier Rome belongs to? Not at all.

2. Arabia - Madrasa [20]
8. Cree - Mekewap [15]
10. Egypt - Sphinx [6]
14. Germany - Hansa [28]
18. Inca - Terrace Farm [26]
22. Khmer - Prasat [13]
24. Korea - Seowon [15]
26. Mali - Suguba [26]
27. Maori - Marae [26]
35. Phoenicia - Cothon [26]
37. Rome - Bath [16] 19-3 explained above, doesn't have big impact on Roman strategy. I defended trajan as long as it was possible, but this part of Roman set is of very little impact
38. Russia - Lavra [31]
41. Spain - Mission [16]
43. Sweden - Open-Air Museum [3] 2+1 explained above. Absurd to be eliminated so early compare to Kristina's unique ability

UPDATE
someone is 8 times in a row downvoting the same. But I must apologise and admit it is not behaviour against community, thread idea and is not causing annoyance among many people here, and definitely is not trolling, because trrolling is understood as using proper name for certain things. Otherwise I would be edited. Maybe my last post here, as I have been already edited twice :)

Last edited:
2. Arabia - Madrasa [20]
8. Cree - Mekewap [15]
10. Egypt - Sphinx [6]
14. Germany - Hansa [25=28-3] In my games I find that not building Hansa at all is actually better than building them in the first place. It is only an interesting add-on that you build after campus, library, university, monument and granary.
22. Khmer - Prasat [13]
24. Korea - Seowon [16=15+1] Why is this one such low? It is so good. The key point is to settle beside a hill and start building +3(+6) campus immediately, instead of waiting for +4(+8). Then turn to other turns like troops, builders or monuments before building libraries and universities. This one is sooo strong.

Just notice, Korean Hwacha (60 strength) comes earlier than Zulu Impi (41)/Japanese Samurai (48). Soooo fast and strong.

26. Mali - Suguba [26]
27. Maori - Marae [26]
37. Rome - Bath [16]
38. Russia - Lavra [31]
41. Spain - Mission [16]
43. Sweden - Open-Air Museum [3]

Sounds like something a Youtube Deity Pangaea Hero would say :p

Why do you want Currency done in the ancient era... ? That's not the goal. Free Inquiry is good enough with just the Harbor bonus. Phoenicia/England can still build Campuses for an actual science district. The point is the Harbor can tide you over (and then some) pretty consistently while you actually use the science for something meaningful.

2. Arabia - Madrasa [20]
8. Cree - Mekewap [15]
10. Egypt - Sphinx [6]
11. England - Royal Navy Dockyard [20] (19 + 1) I don't think this should be lower than some other stuff on here. It's a Harbor which already makes it the best district in the game for city development. Add the adjacency bonus and the military value and you've got a really solid district for any win condition.
14. Germany - Hansa [25]
22. Khmer - Prasat [13]
24. Korea - Seowon [16]
26. Mali - Suguba [26]
27. Maori - Marae [26]
29. Mapuche - Chemamull [10] (13 - 3) Not the most impactful bonus. Useful but very conditional
37. Rome - Bath [16]
38. Russia - Lavra [31]
41. Spain - Mission [16]

Lolrmith is not trolling, he is just special and is now determined to see through his failure to the bitter end.

8. Cree - Mekewap 18 [21-3] The Alzacar from Grenada suzerainity is superior to this

You know that t word mentioned above?

2. Arabia - Madrasa [20]
8. Cree - Mekewap [16] You know by now.
10. Egypt - Sphinx [6]
11. England - Royal Navy Dockyard [20]
14. Germany - Hansa [25]
22. Khmer - Prasat [13]
24. Korea - Seowon [16]
26. Mali - Suguba [26]
27. Maori - Marae [26]
29. Mapuche - Chemamull [7] Always had difficulty actually placing these.
35. Phoenicia - Cothon [26] These all completely disappeared when I took over Dido's cities as England.
37. Rome - Bath [16]
38. Russia - Lavra [31]
41. Spain - Mission [16]

Last edited:
2. Arabia - Madrasa [20]
8. Cree - Mekewap [16] One thing this thread has definitely done is made me want to fire up another cree game...
10. Egypt - Sphinx [6]
14. Germany - Hansa [25]
22. Khmer - Prasat [13]
24. Korea - Seowon [16]
26. Mali - Suguba [26]
27. Maori - Marae [26]
29. Mapuche - Chemamull [7]
36. Poland - Sukiennice [7] (10-3) Not terrible by any means but not the best either
37. Rome - Bath [16]
38. Russia - Lavra [31]
41. Spain - Mission [16]
43. Sweden - Open-Air Museum [4] (3+1) Just making it so this requires at least 1 more downvote. It is a lot of culture and tourism even if it does come late!

2. Arabia - Madrasa [20]
8. Cree - Mekewap [16]
10. Egypt - Sphinx [6]
14. Germany - Hansa [25]
22. Khmer - Prasat [13]
24. Korea - Seowon [16]
26. Mali - Suguba [26]
27. Maori - Marae [26]
29. Mapuche - Chemamull [7]
36. Poland - Sukiennice [4] (7-3) It’s fine, but not game winning
37. Rome - Bath [16]
38. Russia - Lavra [31]
41. Spain - Mission [16]
43. Sweden - Open-Air Museum [5] (4+1) This is seriously more powerful than most people realize. While it does come relatively late, it’s steroids for a culture victory. Thanks to Sweden’s autotheming, you may have been in a decent position before, but these all but guarantee the victory because they can nearly double your culture output with just a few builder charges at a point in the game when builder charges are cheap. +10 culture in every city is incredibly powerful. Even if you’re playing a non-culture game and haven’t been building theater districts, these can rocket you past most competition. What makes these better than the chemamull is that that 10 culture is concentrated in a single tile and has no other requirements in that city, so there’s very little opportunity cost to work it, compared to the Great Wall, which requires giving up several other valuable tiles to become effective.

In sum, your culture can exponentially grow as fast as you conquer or can spam settlers, since these come to full effect the same turn you have a builder in a new city. There’s literally no city planning necessary once you have the 4-5 settled cities in place.

Last edited:
A collection of thoughts:

For the Improvement vs Building vs District argument, most improvements are spammable which can greatly increase their value. You can only have one of building and districts in each city so they need to offer something really good to out value an improvement and there are certainly some that do so. So it's kind of difficult to lump everything together in those broad categories and say one category is better than the others.

I think that the great wall is greatly (heh) undervalued. A line of 4 GW improvements is a ton of culture and gold for the cost of a single base builder. It's curious that it got eliminated before the Sphinx and Chemamull since those seems pretty clear to me those are worse since they don't scale resulting in worse yields for the majority of the game.

I'm also surprised that the Open Air Museum is still hanging around long after the Ice Hockey Rink was eliminated. Both come around the same time, the hockey rink has less base yields and tougher placement rules but scales better and helps place those uber national parks that makes Canada so strong. In my mind that makes them of roughly equal value.

Is 5 gold and 2 housing that much better than 1>2>3 production? Not in my opinion.

Yeah but that 2 housing can easily get you +2 citizens who could be working lumbermills resulting in a lot more production.

2. Arabia - Madrasa [20]
8. Cree - Mekewap [16]
10. Egypt - Sphinx [6]
14. Germany - Hansa [25]
22. Khmer - Prasat [13]
24. Korea - Seowon [17] = 16 + 1. It may have lost some relative value in GS but science is still great and this will consistently get you that. You aren't getting +4 adjacency regular campuses in every city but you can easily with Korea. Plus it synergies with the civ and leader ability so well it can be effectively greater.
26. Mali - Suguba [26]
27. Maori - Marae [26]
29. Mapuche - Chemamull [4] = 7 - 3. I haven't downvoted this and as explained above and in previous posts, I think it's worse than the great wall which is already eliminated.
36. Poland - Sukiennice [4]
37. Rome - Bath [16]
38. Russia - Lavra [31]
41. Spain - Mission [16]
43. Sweden - Open-Air Museum [5]

2. Arabia - Madrasa [20]
8. Cree - Mekewap [16]
10. Egypt - Sphinx [3] = 6 - 3 Just hasn't had a big impact in any of my Egypt games I've played. It's a nice small boost early, but doesn't really power you through the game.
14. Germany - Hansa [25]
22. Khmer - Prasat [13]
24. Korea - Seowon [18] = 17 + 1 This on the other hand will power you through the game.
26. Mali - Suguba [26]
27. Maori - Marae [26]
29. Mapuche - Chemamull [4]
37. Rome - Bath [16]
38. Russia - Lavra [31]
41. Spain - Mission [16]

2. Arabia - Madrasa [20]
8. Cree - Mekewap [16]
10. Egypt - Sphinx [4] (3+1) Similarly spammable +2 appeal improvement with less culture than Pairidaeza but some faith on top.
14. Germany - Hansa [25]
22. Khmer - Prasat [13]
24. Korea - Seowon [18]
26. Mali - Suguba [26]
27. Maori - Marae [26]
29. Mapuche - Chemamull [1] (4-3) Ultimately I prefer Sphinx (also gives appeal and faith, both being useful).
37. Rome - Bath [16]
38. Russia - Lavra [31]
41. Spain - Mission [16]

2. Arabia - Madrasa [20]
8. Cree - Mekewap [16]
10. Egypt - Sphinx [5] (4 + 1) Spammable version of the Ziggurat for culture. We are not playing vanilla Civ 6 people. By the time open air museum is available I have easily gained 100s of early important culture that will rocket me through the culture tree.
14. Germany - Hansa [25]
22. Khmer - Prasat [13]
24. Korea - Seowon [18]
26. Mali - Suguba [26]
27. Maori - Marae [26]
29. Mapuche - Chemamull [0] (1 - 4) Eliminated! Definitely worse than the sphinx and very hard to spam or place well.
37. Rome - Bath [16]
38. Russia - Lavra [31]
41. Spain - Mission [16]
43. Sweden - Open-Air Museum [5] - I guess I won't downvote again but this is silly to still be around. I guess if you are Swedish or something upvote your civ! :crazyeye:

2. Arabia - Madrasa [20]
8. Cree - Mekewap [16]
10. Egypt - Sphinx [5]
14. Germany - Hansa [25]
15. Greece - Acropolis [29] 28 + 1 Flavorful and powerful for a strong base district that I otherwise generally don't build many of due to opportunity costs of other districts. Plus I love city states.
22. Khmer - Prasat [13]
24. Korea - Seowon [18]
25. Macedon - Basilikoi Paides [18] 21 - 3 This building is good but it's still tied to encampments, and yes Macedon is a powerhouse Civ, but that power starts with (though is not limited to) and from the two unique units. I generally want to build my units early, after which this building's bonus quickly falls off unless you get really cheesy. Also the standard GG points from encampment/building are comparatively devalued for Macadon due to the way the UUs generate them.
26. Mali - Suguba [26]
27. Maori - Marae [26]
37. Rome - Bath [16]
38. Russia - Lavra [31]
41. Spain - Mission [16]

I haven't had Gathering Storm very long, but I didn't read any restrictions on who may participate.

Thus, I will add my two cents and hope ya'll just roll with it.

2. Arabia - Madrasa [20]
8. Cree - Mekewap [16]
10. Egypt - Sphinx [5]
14. Germany - Hansa [22] (25-3) - I find it's difficult to use to maximal effect. I really dislike packing my cities close together too.
15. Greece - Acropolis [29]
22. Khmer - Prasat [13]
24. Korea - Seowon [18]
25. Macedon - Basilikoi Paides [18]
26. Mali - Suguba [26]
27. Maori - Marae [26]
37. Rome - Bath [16]
38. Russia - Lavra [32] (31+1) - This one is tight. Lavra gets me a ton of great people early that I usually just don't get until much later as other civs.
41. Spain - Mission [16]

2. Arabia - Madrasa [20]
8. Cree - Mekewap [16]
10. Egypt - Sphinx [5]
14. Germany - Hansa [23] (22+1) These have been buffed straight to the freakin' moon. A half cost district that skyrockets your production and doesn't count against your districts in the city because you're Germany and you get a bonus one is very, very good.
22. Khmer - Prasat [13]
24. Korea - Seowon [18]
25. Macedon - Basilikoi Paides [15] (18-3) I agree this is about the least impressive part of Macedon's stupidly powerful yet lame and boring one trick pony approach to the game.
26. Mali - Suguba [26]
27. Maori - Marae [26]
37. Rome - Bath [16]
38. Russia - Lavra [32]
41. Spain - Mission [16]

2. Arabia - Madrasa [20]
8. Cree - Mekewap [16+1=17] Strong, spammable, available earlier than pretty much everything else in this list. When your argument has turned to comparing it to lumber mills (???) you should probably stop. Should be top 10 but probably not the very top.
10. Egypt - Sphinx [5]
14. Germany - Hansa [23]
22. Khmer - Prasat [13]
24. Korea - Seowon [18]
25. Macedon - Basilikoi Paides [15]
26. Mali - Suguba [26]
27. Maori - Marae [26]
37. Rome - Bath [16]
38. Russia - Lavra [32]
41. Spain - Mission [16-3=13] what can I say other than that I don't think this belongs in the conversation with the rest of these.

2. Arabia - Madrasa [20]
8. Cree - Mekewap [17]
10. Egypt - Sphinx [5]
14. Germany - Hansa [23]
20. Indonesia - Kampung [26]
22. Khmer - Prasat [13]
24. Korea - Seowon [18]
26. Mali - Suguba [26]
27. Maori - Marae [26]
37. Rome - Bath [16]
38. Russia - Lavra [32]
41. Spain - Mission [10]

Madrasa I still don't understand the placing of this but gonna vote for some other stuff first.
Basilikoi Paides Campus Research Grants: give 15% of the production as science. Macedon gets 25% and a unit on top of that. Im not saying it's broken or vote for it just it's kind of good and shouldn't be dismissed early.
Kampung The only way to be able to settle cities on water before most cities were able to settle on water turned this thing up another notch.
Mission The mission is better and it had a buff it just has a really hard time keeping up with the good stuff on here.

2. Arabia - Madrasa [20]
8. Cree - Mekewap [17]
10. Egypt - Sphinx [5]
14. Germany - Hansa [23]
22. Khmer - Prasat [14] (13 + 1) The only part of Khmer that isn't trash. Basically a cheap Culture victory winner.
24. Korea - Seowon [18]
26. Mali - Suguba [26]
27. Maori - Marae [26]
37. Rome - Bath [13] (16 - 3) The Aqueduct already gives plenty of Housing. 2 Housing and 1 Amenity shouldn't let this stay here any longer now.
38. Russia - Lavra [32]
41. Spain - Mission [10]

P.S. The OP has written the Open-Air Museum at place 23, wheras it should be the Chemamull.

2. Arabia - Madrasa [20]
8. Cree - Mekewap [17]
10. Egypt - Sphinx [5]
11. England - Royal Navy Dockyard [17] (20-3) Am I missing something here? It just gives your ships +1 Movement and a little bit of extra gold/loyalty if it's on a different continent? That seems pretty mediocre to me.
14. Germany - Hansa [23]
22. Khmer - Prasat [14]
24. Korea - Seowon [18]
26. Mali - Suguba [26]
27. Maori - Marae [26]
37. Rome - Bath [13]
38. Russia - Lavra [32]
41. Spain - Mission [10]
43. Sweden - Open-Air Museum [6] (5+1) So! Yesterday I said I wanted to play Sweden to try this thing out. Well, uh, yea, it felt pretty darn good. I think the trick is to get the gov plaza building that gives you a free builder upon settling a city (Ancestral Hall iirc?), so that you can instantly plant an OAM down for free. +10 culture isn't too tough to get, but even +8 is respectable, especially when you consider that you're getting tourism on top of that. Is it 'win-more'? Maybe. I haven't played enough Sweden to tell. But when you can put it in every city and only need to work a single tile for all that culture (and get tourism anyway) I can guarantee it's going to be pretty impactful. Plus, making sure you're settling on different terrain types changes up the way you're playing - I had to settle on a single desert tile adjacent to 3 mountains because it was the only desert tile in my part of the map. I can't say I would've settled on top of that otherwise. :crazyeye:

2. Arabia - Madrasa [20]
8. Cree - Mekewap [17] - At this point, I'd almost wonder if certain posters are a big fan of this and attempting to 'reverse psychology' it to the top :)
10. Egypt - Sphinx [5]
11. England - Royal Navy Dockyard [17]
14. Germany - Hansa [23]
18. Inca - Terrace Farm [27] 26 + 1 = A ridiculous amount of food right from the get go, with innate production to boot.
22. Khmer - Prasat [11] 14 - 3 = Fun for a relic specific game with Khmer but pretty niche overall
24. Korea - Seowon [18]
26. Mali - Suguba [26]
27. Maori - Marae [26]
37. Rome - Bath [13]
38. Russia - Lavra [32]
41. Spain - Mission [10]
43. Sweden - Open-Air Museum [6]

2. Arabia - Madrasa [20]
8. Cree - Mekewap [17]
10. Egypt - Sphinx [5]
11. England - Royal Navy Dockyard [17]
14. Germany - Hansa [23]
15. Greece - Acropolis [30] [29+1] Every time I use Greece I hit a ridiculous power spike when 4-5 of these go online around the same time. Incredible adjacency, envoys, more policy cards and governments, fun for the whole family!!!
18. Inca - Terrace Farm [27]
22. Khmer - Prasat [11]
24. Korea - Seowon [18]
26. Mali - Suguba [26]
27. Maori - Marae [26]
37. Rome - Bath [13]
38. Russia - Lavra [32]
41. Spain - Mission [7] [10-3] One of those improvements that's great when hitting all the criteria, but RNG is going lower its overall impact on more occasions than most on this list. Faith and science is a nice combo, but man those wonderful continent splits just don't happen as often as I'd like.
43. Sweden - Open-Air Museum [6]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom