[NFP] Gaul district placement.

Well, my opinion is that each civ should have positives and negatives. Gaul works with mines and that goes well towards a CV (it worked well for me at least). Mines are for hills and inland and don't synergize well with naval, so I think you should avoid the coast. So harbour adjacency is not such an issue anyway.

Just my opinion, you may well disagree. But in the spirit, I find the game too easy to win as it stands, so I'm all against OP civs with only buffs and no nerfs.

I don't mind having civs with positives and negatives, I enjoy that. For me, for the Gaul's, I just don't see their upsides as necessarily stronger than their downsides. I do think they have some strong upsides to them, but I would be good with some targeted bonuses. Like, to me, if you removed the Harbor rule with them (and simply made it "land specialty districts must not be adjacent to the city centre"), that would be a simple, (presumably) easy, and overall small boost that would help them out a little bit. Personally, I think they could also use a further adjacency bonus - given they don't get normal district adjacency bonuses, even a full +1 adjacency per mine would not be totally out of order. Or perhaps you go even further with the positive/negative with them, and remove ALL other bonuses for districts, but convert them totally onto mines. So, for example, remove the campus adjacencies for mountains, jungle, reefs, geotherms, etc..., but give them +1 for each adjacent mine, and then also let Gaul put mines on flatlands, for example, and now you have a civ who has completely turned upside down in how they plan and build. Give all of that, and you create an even more unique civ. Maybe that's too strong, or maybe it's even worse, but they would certainly be even more unique to play in a setup like that.

Well, my opinion is that each civ should have positives and negatives. Gaul works with mines and that goes well towards a CV (it worked well for me at least). Mines are for hills and inland and don't synergize well with naval, so I think you should avoid the coast. So harbour adjacency is not such an issue anyway.

Just my opinion, you may well disagree. But in the spirit, I find the game too easy to win as it stands, so I'm all against OP civs with only buffs and no nerfs.
I'm fine with negatives but Gaul's bonuses are pretty weak to be balanced by a negative. The game's pretty easy so the oppidum is pretty meh. The mine adjs for districts can often be worse than clumping with a normal civ. Rome is better at the early culture game with zero downside and he has a mountain of other benefits on top of that. I guess I just don't understand the design of Gaul compared to other civs. They're kind of a gimmick civ that you have to tailor the map to because if you don't, he's going to be weaker than most of the other civs.

I just had my easiest Deity SV ever with Gaul. Map was not cooked nor anything special either... good hilly positions though. Gaul is a master of production. Barely even noticed the district adjacency "problem".

You know, I see "Diety" so often on these boards that I thought you'd spelt it wrong.
I'd probably spell it that way if I'd play that mode, as in not lasting long at all. :shifty:

You know, I see "Diety" so often on these boards that I thought you'd spelt it wrong.

It's almost impossible to misspell when the same word in Spanish is "deidad" (which has only one possible pronunciation ;) ), and both English and Spanish versions come from the same Latin root "deitas".

I just had my easiest Deity SV ever with Gaul. Map was not cooked nor anything special either... good hilly positions though. Gaul is a master of production. Barely even noticed the district adjacency "problem".
That's not saying much, isnt every deity win easy for you?

I keep having to go back and look at their kit every time someone talks about them being strong. I think maybe I missed something but, no, no I didn't.

What makes them masters of production other than an impetus to work mines and an early IZ? Practically every civ can get better production since standard IZs are easier to get consistently better adjs than the Oppidum. The Oppidum doesn't get the bonus from aqueducts, canals and dams while the mine bonus is hit and miss. Germany absolutely wrecks Gaul on production, again with zero downsides.

Reactions: PiR
That's not saying much, isnt every deity win easy for you?

I keep having to go back and look at their kit every time someone talks about them being strong. I think maybe I missed something but, no, no I didn't.

What makes them masters of production other than an impetus to work mines and an early IZ? Practically every civ can get better production since standard IZs are easier to get consistently better adjs than the Oppidum. The Oppidum doesn't get the bonus from aqueducts, canals and dams while the mine bonus is hit and miss. Germany absolutely wrecks Gaul on production, again with zero downsides.

Not every win, no... some I have to work through. This one was really easy. I agree that they are not the absolute best in production, but my production in this game was above average (and I am usually a science/production player). Maybe it was the combo of mines plus my tendency to create a super central production hub or two maximizing Magnus.

The only thing I can say for sure is that it was my easiest SV since 2016.

Top Bottom