1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Gedemon's Civilization, development thread

Discussion in 'Gedemon's Civilization, a total overhaul project' started by Gedemon, May 7, 2017.

1. Gedemon

Gedemon Modder Moderator

Yes, or said differently, if there are modding benefits that are specific to R&F, then I'll have to make the mod fully compatible with the expansion if I want to access them.

2. heinous_hat

heinous_hat Chieftain

I haven't watched any videos demonstrating the new mechanics, so it's hard to judge the substance. From reading the discussions though, I'm pretty sure I don't like their approach to governors... more "card game" symmetry between players; entirely positive traits; hideous artwork. Ugh.

However, the more game hooks with dedicated UI, the better for modding, I think. Along with the underwhelming governor design, we have a framework that could possibly hold more interesting things... e.g. idiosyncratic traits for governors; nice big panel for custom art; more ways to add modifiers at the city level. The biggest problem here might be implementing per player or per culture governor choices, since they seem to have made that deliberately broad. We'll see...

I'll probably buy the expansion with some Amazon promotional credit I've accumulated. Generally, the more disagreeable I find something, the greater the impulse to actively mod, so I'll share my findings here when it comes along.

Knasp likes this.
  3. Gedemon

Gedemon Modder Moderator

Update on gitHub
    Code:
    - remove R&F ruleset when the mod is activated (as it's incompatible)
    - remove Corps and Armies
    - reduce warmongers penalties
    - remove all wars type (including "joint wars") except "surprise wars" as it's the only one that can directly affect third-parties diplomatic relations (positive or negative modifiers)
    - remove near border warning when having open border agreement
    - remove "close to victory" modifiers
    - raise values of some diplomatic modifiers to give more weight to DoF, alliances, denunciation for third party civilizations (ie if civA don't like civB, it will like you more if you denounce or DoW civB)
    - bug fix: an error could occurs during cities turns because of an incorrect call to a debug function
    - bug fix: prevent an error when a captured city object is nil after capture (razed ?)

4. Gedemon

Gedemon Modder Moderator

Another update on gitHub, still testing a few things with what's open to modding in relation to Diplomacy...
    Code:
    - move Alliance to Feudalism civic
    - an Alliance now means that you declare wars both defensively and offensively with the other member of the Alliance.
    - move Defensive Pact to Early Empire civic
    - research agreement buffed, but requires an Alliance
    - Defensive Pact available when Friendly
    - bug fix : Luxuries should be available to trade for Neutral relation

5. Gedemon

Gedemon Modder Moderator

Small update on gitHub a few hours ago, a first pass at balancing costs:
    Code:
    - make separate entries for equipment and materiel cost (were under strategic resources, now have a lower cost)
    - lower the speed at which prices are increasing when demand > supply
    - tweak some diplomatic values

6. Gedemon

Gedemon Modder Moderator

Another small update
    Code:
    - add luxuries consumption by upper class population, affect max/min percentage of upper class population for social stratification
    - lower values for luxury resources stock
    - tweak values for war horses / chariots production and stock
    - tweak Civics tree

Knasp and dunkleosteus like this.
  7. Gedemon

Gedemon Modder Moderator

bug fix on gitHub
    Code:
    - bug fix : allied should now declare war as intended
    - raise Chainmail and Plate Armors production values
    - tweak max stock and cost of Chainmail, Plate Armors, Lances, Steel Pikes, Steel Swords

Knasp likes this.
  8. Gedemon

Gedemon Modder Moderator

Another small update, to fix an error on a file I've uploaded a few hours ago
    Code:
    - bug fix : prevent an error during city turn
    - add filters to the debug output

dunkleosteus likes this.
  9. Gedemon

Gedemon Modder Moderator

Small update this afternoon, but bugged, working on the fix
    Code:
    add a "smaller units" policy : "Your military is organized on smaller entities requiring 20% less personnel and supplies. Units Combat Strength is reduced but they heal faster."

10. Gedemon

Gedemon Modder Moderator

Should be fixed
    Code:
    - bug fix for the new "smaller units" policy

11. Gedemon

Gedemon Modder Moderator

And a new update, maybe I'll do a full game with it this WE...
    Code:
    - try to update the current Tech Tree (by moving things around, just one additional Tech) to something that doesn't stop me from playing
    - raise techs/civics costs
    - reactivate the Minas Geraes units as a generic Dreadnought
    Spoiler Updated Tech Tree :
    TechTree.png

dunkleosteus likes this.
  12. dunkleosteus

dunkleosteus Lieutenant Commander

I really like this. Can I make a few suggestions about tech requirements? (No idea if these would be balanced, only suggesting from the position of sensibility) I think I've voiced concerns about the early techs before, so I don't need to repeat myself. Late game though,
    I think Computers should require Plastics, and Plastics should require Chemistry

I think satellites and telecommunications should be related (one of them should require the other, but it depends on your interpretation of that. If telecommunications just means long-range, high-fidelity communication, then satellites should require telecommunication. If telecommunication means satellite broadcasting, then telecommunication should require satellites)

Hang on. is the harbor unlocked with Mass Production?

13. washy

washy Chieftain

This look amazing, i was playing with the combat and supply system and its working perfect. Great job!

14. Gedemon

Gedemon Modder Moderator

I'll see what I can do without messing too much the intersections.

If I can, I'll rework the UI files for the tech tree to completely remove the lines and branching and just highlight the prerequisite technologies, that way we'll be able to only care about the logic, not the representation.

about harbors, every costal cities are "harbor cities", the "district" represent larger harbor. Is Mass production too soon or too late for that ?

and I'm still unsure about water tiles ownership, the harbor district remove from the game the importance of coastal cities.

15. Gedemon

Gedemon Modder Moderator

Update on gitHub, mostly tweaks after the revision of the Tech tree:
    Code:
    - bug fix: only the Artillator (unlocked at Archery) can produce Crossbows and Longbows, previously the Carpenter was able to build them with Construction/Machinery, even without Archery
    - balance: unlock "Lances" (needed by medieval horsemen and knight) at Military Tactics (was Stirrup)
    - balance: unlock Gambeson at Military Tactics (was Machinery)
    - balance: unlock Chainmail Armor (required by Longswordsman and Knigth) at Machinery (was Engineering)
    - balance: unlock Plate Armor (required by Longswordsman and Knigth) at Apprenticeship (was Machinery)
    - balance: unlock Fort at Military Tactics (was Construction)
    - Military Tactics requires Construction
    - add 2 new policies: upper and middle classes taxes, unlocked at State Workforce civic, that give gold income relative to each city social stratification
    - lower materiel requirement for cities reparations
    - lower luxuries requirement for Upper Class needs
    - add a raw listing of needs effects to the population tooltip on the city banners (temporary, while waiting for a new tab in the city panel)
    Clipboard-1.jpg

Clipboard-2.jpg

Killzerslaul and dunkleosteus like this.
  16. washy

washy Chieftain

One question, what happened to the slaves in the game? we store them in the cities? what about creating some slaves related buildings?

Example:
    Fighting Pit: each turn transform 5 slaves into 1 amenity
    Slave Market: transform 5 slaves into 5 gold
    Forced working mine: transform 5 salves into 3 production 2 stone 2 cooper
    Colosseum: transform 10 slaves 10 weapons into 3 amenities 3 gold and 3 cultures

Or something like that

17. Gedemon

Gedemon Modder Moderator

That's kind of planned, but postponed until the new population mechanism is implemented.

18. heinous_hat

heinous_hat Chieftain

I was in favor of the harbor. If I recall, my thinking was that it could allow naval access to both sides of a land mass, where you don't have an isthmus. In practice though, that's a bit fiddly... you need to leave a ship occupying the harbor in order to produce one in the city, and remove it if you want one from the harbor. Aside from that, the only benefit is visual. I can see your point about the value of coastal cities, and it does really screw up the nice, clean cultural borders that you have otherwise.

I guess I wouldn't miss it that much. But what to do about coastal wonders?

19. Gedemon

Gedemon Modder Moderator

Stack them back in cities ? Not sure if we can redefine the artdefs for that kind of thing.

Small update on gitHub
    Code:
    - bug fix: try to not sent resources to a city without the diplomatic relation (allied/DoF/neutral/denounced) for that type of resource.

20. Knasp

Knasp Chieftain

Couldn't you add the ability to move ship units from the city-center to the harbour? Just like a trader unit or great person can be transfered between cities?

Or set an requirement, that the harbour district could be built only in non-coastal cities?

Suggestion:
    1. Add a new city project (or a city-center building) called: "Build Harbour".
    2. Requirements would be: a) "non-coastal city" and b) "ownership of a land tile adjacent to coast/ocean" and c) coast/water tiles in question doesn't already have a harbour/wonder"
    3. Upon completion, it will initiate a script that places a harbour district on the tile closest to the city center AND give the player ownership of that tile. (Optional: also spawn a road between harbour and city center).
    4. Either the project will take several turns to complete and thus the script will place a fully functioning district OR
    5. The project would take just 1 turn, and the placed district would then become available for construction (just like districts in vanilla).
    6. Then trace coastal/ocean trade routes / supply lines to and from harbour district.
    7. Allow the same naval buildings (as in coastal cities), to be built in the harbour district.
    8. Allow naval recruitment in the harbour district.
    9. Remove any district bonuses that a coastal city wouldn't get (like adjacency to sea resources?).

Multiple suitable coastal/ocean tiles?
    If several tiles are tied for being closest to you city center, then choose in the following order:

1. tile adjacent to a river
    2. tile adjacent to the most water resources
    4. tile closest to any coastal city
    5. tile closest to any other harbour
    6. just pick one at random

Or just make the harbour a land-based district?
    It would be placed and built like a regular district, only requiring a tile adjacent to coast/ocean. Then you wouldn't need the script above, and coastal tiles would remain free from ownership. Though you'd have to change the artdef, maybe make it look like a commerical district? And possibly add the graphics of a harbour district (piers) on one adjacent coastal tile. The piers wouldn't have any effect on the tile, just make it look prettier.

Naval wonders?

Let the naval wonder be built as a regular building/city project, in the coastal city/harbour district in question. Upon completion, just add the graphics of the wonder on an adjacent water tile (if possible).

Last edited: Feb 26, 2018
    Gedemon likes this.