Gedemon's Civilization, development thread

another small update
Code:
- multiplayer fix : in gameplay scripts, replace Lua "arbitrary" pairs function by a custom function ordering keys to prevent desynchronization
- multiplayer fix : replace "Automation.GetRandomNumber" by "TerrainBuilder.GetRandomNumber", the later using the multiplayer seed

bug fix update
Code:
- bug fix : do not use objects (city, unit, ...) as keys in tables that will by iterated using the "ordered pairs" function

Just a warning, I've started to implement limited trade routes (for internal routes ATM), using small updates, the current dev version on gitHub may be unstable/broken until its fully implemented.

New update on gitHub, should be safe to use again
Code:
- bug fix : the base food stock should now be properly set for units on creation or when changing organization level
- balance : minimal food consumption for an unit is 0.1 food instead of 1.0 food
- bug fix : really allow limited ownership on water as was intended a few updates back
- bug fix : prevent a failure to complete a city turn that was introduced with the trade route limits (A and (B) or (C)) is different than (A and (B or C))

I've started to add references to Moar Units yesterday, again this may lead to unstability of the dev version until it's finished. Moar Units will be a required mod with next update.

New update on gitHub, I've been focusing on this to have it ready for the holidays.

I'll do a quick test game (yes, it's mostly untested at the moment of this post) and may release a hotfix tomorrow, but after that I may not be able to post/update in the next 10 days, I'll answer the already pending messages in the other threads after that, but keep posting reports/feedback, TIA.

And Merry Christmas everyone :)

Deliverator's Moar Units is now a dependency (to use some models), get it here
Code:
- add equipment for Moar Units : Longbows, Trebuchets, Assault Rifles
- add new armor type : Linothorax, Gambeson (build by Armorer using Plants resource)
- add new Skirmisher units: "Skirmisher" (Explorer), Commando (Sniper), Special Forces (Modern Sniper)
- add new Siege unit: Trebuchet
- add new Melee unit: Longswordsman, Tercio, Rifleman
- add new Cavalry units : Medieval Horseman, Cuirassier
- add Icons for equipment in Tech Tree
- add FontIcons for Armors (still lacking gameplay effect, but heavy armor is now required for Knight and Longswordsman)
- gameplay: Workshop is now a City Center building, Electronics Factory moved to Computers, available for all civs
- gameplay: Great Lighthouse and Colossus can be build on owned coastal tiles adjacent to a city
- gameplay: Encampment moved to Military Engineering (with Barracks & Stables), Armory moved to Gunpowder
- gameplay: the Raid Policy gives x2 loots from cleaning Barbarian Camps (loot from pillaging improvement is not coded yet)
- gameplay: the Survey Policy gives x2 loots from Tribal Villages
- UI: units flag now shows the affinity % from the equipment available in front line and a specific unit type
- UI: add mention to units Military Organization Level to civic's descriptions

And a small screenshot showing some of the changes.

One of my top priority "to do" for the UI is to make separated entries for all this data, maybe using 2-3 small icons to mouse over under the units flag.

Same for cities.

Clipboard-1.jpg

Small hotfix on gitHub :

Code:
- add equipment class "Knight Armor" (Plate Armor, Chainmail Armor) for Knight and Longswordsman units
- bug fix to the function determining the type of an unit from an equipment list based on percentage of equipment (should allow upgrade to Longswordsman and Knights now)
- bug fix to UnitFlagManager.lua (show Frontline when the deprecated "Personnel" value is not set in the Units DB)

I'm still not 100% confident about the code I've put behind the function determining an unit type based on the current equipment list, let me know if you see things that should not happen.

And another hotfix
Code:
- bug fix: allow chariot to upgrade (when at full health only, as they will lost 3/4 of equipment in frontline when changing chariot to war horses)
- bug fix: add (and allow usage of) an armor class for Cavalry unit class (should finally be possible to upgrade to Knight now)

I have tried to use the latest build but all technologies, and most other data seem empty and I can't get past turn one after I built the first city since there are no buildings to build.

I only have this mod and MOAR units installed, MOAR units run perfectly fine by itself.

I have tried to use the latest build but all technologies, and most other data seem empty and I can't get past turn one after I built the first city since there are no buildings to build.

I only have this mod and MOAR units installed, MOAR units run perfectly fine by itself.
Shouldn't happen, please post your database, modding and Lua log files in a new thread in the bug report section

(don't expect answers until next week)

I've been able to play a full short game (250 turns) with the mod during this week on Lan with my brother, here is an update on gitHub based on the multiple fixes I've done for that game (the upgrade path for land units was tested up to tanks and artillery)

Code:
- balance : tweak Lances production value
- balance : tweak reserved resource values (send a part of what is supplied, but keep some for local production, even when a city or unit require a resource with a priority)
- UI : add Lance and Chariot FontIcons
- small bug fix / tweak to debugging
- add Weaponsmith, Armorsmith, Ferrier (cheap mutually exclusive buildings requiring the Blacksmith and allowing production of high cost equipment)
- balance : raise some resources stock values to allow construction of late game units in cities with a high production yield
- bug fix : remove the barbarian horseman from the cavalry upgrade path (Knight could "upgrade" to Barbarian Horsemen)
- change icons for Blacksmith and Foundry
- bug fix : remove Tercio from the mod (until some rework is done on the upgrade code)
- bug fix : correctly remove surplus for obsolete equipment
- bug fix : manually remove .__orderedIndex from tables after using break in a ordered pairs iteration
- bug fix : correct calculation of percentage when determining an unit type from an equipment list

Last edited:
I love the ideas behind this mod and I am curious how the AI handles the unit supply system? If it's been discussed already somewhere, please excuse my rehashing of it. The AI carpet spam is, as we all know, a huge issue with the game. If this helps alleviate that, then this would be a huge boost. If not, have you considered a unit limit function?

I am currently using a working "proof of concept" mod called Unit Limit Enforcement by Gleb Bazov that he seems to have abandoned https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/coding-a-unit-limit-land-sea-air.612443/. It has compatibility issues though with other mods that I have roughly fixed on my own. A prime example is your Combat Stacking Overhaul which changes siege and ranged to a support formation, which the unit limit mod does not recognize. I had to remove that function from your mod to make it compatible, since I don't know how to code in the new formation. It also does not recognize the new units from Warfare Expanded for MOAR, but works fine with MOAR itself. Overall, though, what he created works and the AI no longer spams units and upgrades them as they advance through the tech tree for the most part (the odd ancient era warrior hanging around still happens). I know you cannot just use his work without getting in touch with him, and he seems to have disappeared, but it may be worth a look if you think a unit limit function would work well with your changes and help alleviate the frustration of having every tile taken up by warriors!

The AI is already limited a bit (as the humans players) by the available materiel/equipment/personnel when producing units (and by materiel/resources for buildings)

There will be more mechanisms (standing armies, mercenaries and conscription) that will also limits the number of units on the map in relation to your empire's infrastructure (and policies), with the number of personnel "on the field" being limited by the number of personnel in the cities (providing support) for standing armies and a limited number of turns for conscription/mercenaries.

The upgrade being automated and progressive, you shouldn't see Warriors in the late game in the mod.

Unit spam is absolutely not a problem at present. Production could possibly double, and it still wouldn't be an issue due to stacking allowance.

Sounds great!! Vanilla unit spam was a thorn in my side all the time and glad to hear that your systems handle that well.

With the first expansion for Civ6 announced earlier than anyone had anticipated, I'm going to have to make the decision between coding for vanilla or moving to Rise and Fall.
From what I've seen of it so far, I'm not interested in playing the expansion, so unless there are new specific methods that could help for modding, I'm not going to buy it.

From what I've seen of it so far, I'm not interested in playing the expansion, so unless there are new specific methods that could help for modding, I'm not going to buy it.
So no future plans to make the mod compatible with expansion unless for purely modding benefits ?

Top Bottom