Gedemon's Civilization, development thread

Random question: Do you think this mod works with MOAR UNITS? Since all that mod adds is additional units for some civs (And has RED support).

No, it would require a compatibility patch to set the personnel/materiel values of the new units.

No, it would require a compatibility patch to set the personnel/materiel values of the new units.
Probably not worth making until you have a finished product I imagine.

At least not until the components of the basic units are fully coded and have gone through a first balance pass.

New small update on gitHub:
Code:
- Add a priority tag for internal resource transfer. This allows a resource (let say "Horses") to be sent to a city that requires it to reinforce units, even if it would be against the normal trade rules (total cost too high or low stock in origin city)
- Fix another bug that was allowing unlimited growth for cities.

As I've said earlier, the UI is important when dealing with new mechanisms, but it's also something that takes me a lot of time to code, so I hope you'll find this addition useful...

Spoiler New resources tab in the City Details Screen :

The Resources Stock section is only a copy of the data already available on the City Banner's Tooltip, just cleaner

The other sections are the real addition, and will have their own tool tips for even more details, thanks to the code added the previous week to gather trade data.

The Resources Supply section shows how the city has acquired resources this turn:
Terrain, Production, Import (from other Civilizations), Transfer (from own cities), Pillaged (from your units, not implemented yet) and Unknown/other

The Resources Demand show how the resources were used/lost:
Consume (by population or industries), Export (to other civilizations), Transfer (to your own cities), Reinforcements (to your units), Stolen (by enemy units, not implemented) and unknown/other

The Import/Export Routes section list all foreign cities connected to this one and shows:
City name, Route Type (Trader, Sea, River, Road, ordered from most to less efficient), the efficiency (dependent of route type and distance, a trader being always 100% efficient) and the transport cost (directly related to efficiency, added to the cost of the resources from your city to calculate the transaction - and so the taxes you collect - and how it affects the cost of that resource in the destination city, relative to the quantity)

The Internal Transfer Routes show the same info but for your own cities that are connected to this one. The transport cost is still used to calculate the change of the resource's cost in the destination city (note that in both case a city doesn't ask for a resource of a higher cost than its local cost), but internal transfers does not generate taxes.

The Supply Lines To Units section list all units actually linked to that city, and the resources they need for reinforcements

Great addition! Look forward to the next!

And update on GitHub:
Code:
- Add a new tab for Resources Statistics in the City Details screen
- All resources deposits on the map now have different semi-random values depending of their class and type
- Add stock tooltip to City Resources tab
- Use average values on the last 2 turns for Supply/Demand on the City Resources tab (to take into account that the imported resources from all other Civs are logged for the "previous" turn.
- A few bug fixes

Spoiler Stock Tooltip on the City Resources tab :

The tooltip (on stock value) shows available resources for Transfer, Reinforcement, Industries and Export, as well as the minimal value reserved before allowing those uses.

Now we should have a better data visibility to track bugs and strange behavior in resources usage (for those interested, the Lua.log has also a lot of info)

is this mod going to go hand and hand with the combat and stack overhall?
CSO is included, but the resource requirements will be different.

Two new addition to the units healing mechanism, I think I'm almost done on that front...

Spoiler Introducing Medicine and Equipment for units :

ATM Medicine is produced by the Herborist building, using Plants (collected from marshes, jungles, forests), they will also be used to help health in cities, but the first mechanism using this resource is the treatment of the wounded in an unit.

In one of my first post, I've shown that a portion of the wounded personnel is either removed (dead) or send back to reserve (healed), both value where almost the same.

Now an unit with enough Medicine will have twice more healed personnel than dead from wounds, and an unit without medicine will suffer twice more dead personnel than healed. When you're cut from your cities for reinforcement, it may make the difference in a battle.

The Equipment is a special resource used to calculate combat health from the front lines components by some units, just like personnel or materiel.

It will represent vehicles (chariots on that screen) or some specific equipment (iron weapons and armors for example) made from strategic resources.

For testing, the Chariot Units require a "Chariot" resource made from Wood in a new building, the "Small Stable" available at Animal Husbandry.

Have also added a "Blacksmith" to make "Iron Materiel" from Iron, an equipment required by the Swordsman Units.

Updated on GitHub
Spoiler Change log :

Added Medicine and Equipment to healing and reinforcement for Units.
Added components definition to Naval units.
Tweaked some values (death rate from rationing, minimal stock for reinforcing units)
Removed vanilla strategic resource requirement (will be replaced by equipment requirement when building the units)

Do you plan on making more advanced medicines as time goes on? So a Heborist will work for the Classical Era, an Apothecary could work for the Medieval era, and a Hospital for the industrial era. This could also help support the infrastructure game, as you have to build up to date buildings to stay competitive.

I plan to have upgrade for buildings, that could be build directly in a new city or faster if the old type is present in the city.

The upgrade repkace the old building when completed and will have better stas (better production ratio in that case)

Got a bug regarding barbarian prisoners (and potentially other civ's too). My units don't drop them off at cities. Also; repairing walls project doesn't work. I didn't notice until 11 turns later that my capital's defense wasn't going up. Furthermore, Medival Walls are unobtainable? This is the second time playthrough this has happened. I have Ancient Walls built, but the production panel thinks otherwise.

Yes handling prisoners after capture is not coded yet.

On that side, I'd like a few suggestions for the buildings handling them and slaves...

One to convert prisoners to slave, one to house them, setting a minimal value of slave reserved to that city, and one to allow slave trading/transfer between cities.

I could use fixed values, but this setting allows you to decide what to do with prisoners.

I could use some other buildings to convert prisoners (especially barbarians) to personnel (for your army) or citizen.

Policies could be used too.

Diplomacy is not planned soon, but exchanging prisoners could be automated when having a declaration of friendship or alliance.

About walls, I may redo the whole mechanism as the ranged attack for cities is hardcoded with the city defense.

But that means to rethink the whole bombard tree for units, the related promotions and the related support units.

Last edited:
Are you going to remake the Civ and leader traits? if so will you try to remake them as close as their vanilla original bonuses? or will you make totally new ones?

Do you plan to expand on more units in the late game with more techs ?
Yes, but nothing is defined on that part, will come later in the development.

Are you going to remake the Civ and leader traits? if so will you try to remake them as close as their vanilla original bonuses? or will you make totally new ones?
Not sure, I've not defined how I will handle Revolutions and new civs spawning from the result, my first idea is to have "neutral" civs with just the art style defined, but leaders doesn't fit in that setting. Civs traits, maybe, but I'd like them to be dynamic, earned, not fixed from start.

This looks simply amazing man. I'm not really much of a (pre-)alpha tester, but once it's in beta I'm sure as hell going to play with it.

And until that point I may pop in every now and then with suggestions, though I think there's not that much to suggest that I'd want that isn't already in there...

Any new ideas regarding captured units/slaves? I see giving players options here. For example, one may go for a war route or growth/expansion route.

Growth Route:
By converting captured units to slaves, that city may have an increase in production at the cost of food + population limit. This helps out cities founded with minuscule production. As a bonus, and if possible, a greater number of slaves present = a negative appeal in that city. This can be implemented via
  • Concentration/Labor Camp (city building); converts prisoners to slaves, which can increase production, but - appeal/tourism. May also be used for citizen growth and resource yield boost
  • Slave Market (city building); converts prisoners into slaves, which can increase production + gold. May also be used for citizen growth
  • Divide and Conquer/Conquest (policy card); converts prisoners to slaves to be used for personnel or citizen
  • Plantation Economy (policy card); an economic system based on slavery. Boost to production and most other yields without a negative to culture
  • Slave Labor (city project); if possible, boost a wonder/district production, otherwise same as above more or less
War Route:
Conscript captured units to your own reserves. This can be implemented via
  • a Collaboration Post/POW Camp (city building); converts captured units into reserves + xyz bonus to...
  • Levy, Rehabilitation Conscription (city projects); converts captured units into reserves + xyz bonus to...
  • Irregular Army/Auxilary Corps (policy card); converts captured units into reserves + xyz bonus to a particular type of unit
  • Total War (policy card); as the name suggests, but adding a bonus to production at the cost of culture/faith (this is to imitate prioritizing warfare over non-combatant needs)
These are just crude and barebones suggestions, and I know most may not even be possible to implement easily. Jus thought I'd leave my mark on the drawing boards.

Can slaves also become free over time?

Top Bottom