General A New Dawn discussion

Mine turned off and stayed off, so I don't know why yours would come back. That's the real question. It's supposed to turn off easily if you uncheck it in BUG. (One of the first threads I ever bookmarked here was the instructions for turning that off, since I despise it too.)

Couldn't we "officially eliminate" that message? Who needs that reminder when there is a button?

Here is another offbeat question. I was reminded of this by the Pillaging thread.

In BTS, developed Cottages pillage downward one level at a time rather than be flat-out destroyed. This is to balance that Hamlets and up cannot be direct-built. We've lifted that restriction. Any improvement can be built directly, but it takes more worker time, sometimes has a higher tech requirement, and requires money that you may not have. So do we still need downward-pillaging at all? It makes some sense with Towns, but doesn't for anything else. Shaft Mine/Modern Mine, Windfarm/Windtrap, and Industry/Industrial Complex all have downward-pillaging.

I agree, it makes sense to me.

I don't see why a windfarm, when pillaged, would turn into a windmill, or a modern mine would turn into an older mine...
I'd also love to have the ability to pillage routes in my own territory. Sometimes it gets really messy, or I'd like to restrict routes in case of invasion, etc... Even without No Friendly Pillaging (so I CAN destroy my own improvements), routes are not pillage-able.

That sounds interesting. Does the AI know how to use it?
Dont know that.. but there should be way to pillage roads in your own territory and some point it was possible in AND. Do I remember wrong but I think only units with high explosives could destroy roads in older versions..?

you previously could have an option to pillage improvement or the road, I think it was in ROM only.

Been many years now, seems more logical to pillage improvements, then the base roadway.

How it is more logical to pillage improvement in your OWN territory:)? But some cases its logical to pillage roads in own territory so I agree with Aggri1. And we have option for friendly pillaging so why leave routus out?

How it is more logical to pillage improvement in your OWN territory:)? But some cases its logical to pillage roads in own territory so I agree with Aggri1. And we have option for friendly pillaging so why leave routus out?

Especially because, by Modern, highways are very nearly strictly better than electric railroads. Almost every unit has 2 movement, and essentially all the ones you'd want to have mobile, so they should move faster on highways.

What would be really nice is the ability to default to building the road of your choice, either to save money or to build highways automatically.

Barbarians are the tech leaders in my game, with only four tundra cities. They've managed to get three "First to discover recieves a [Great Person] techs already, denying the rest of the world a Scientist and two Diplomats. :(

Barbarians are the tech leaders in my game, with only four tundra cities. They've managed to get three "First to discover recieves a [Great Person] techs already, denying the rest of the world a Scientist and two Diplomats. :(

Noticed same thing in couple games, barbarians tech nice.. Try change barbarian handicap in global defines from chieftain to noble, I did that in one huge map game and it seems working fine. Dont know any other way..

Noticed same thing in couple games, barbarians tech nice.. Try change barbarian handicap in global defines from chieftain to noble, I did that in one huge map game and it seems working fine. Dont know any other way..

It's less their tech pace that concerns me, but the fact they can snatch away World Firsts despite being a permanently hostile faction. What in the blazes are they even going to DO with a diplomat?

It's less their tech pace that concerns me, but the fact they can snatch away World Firsts despite being a permanently hostile faction. What in the blazes are they even going to DO with a diplomat?

Agree, but dont have any idea how and where barbs research is scaled.. but I think 45 degrees might know;) Theres still balancing to do and theres so much new revisons with changed things that probably many things are little of-scale..

Agree, but dont have any idea how and where barbs research is scaled.. but I think 45 degrees might know;) Theres still balancing to do and theres so much new revisons with changed things that probably many things are little of-scale..

I don't mind them owning techs that the rest of the world doesn't have, though IMO they shouldn't be able to "research" at all, and only make by through a percentage of known techs.

I don't mind them owning techs that the rest of the world doesn't have, though IMO they shouldn't be able to "research" at all, and only make by through a percentage of known techs.
Hmmm.... Like setting their research rate to 10% and their tech diffusion to 1000% so barbarians would only receive techs from other civs but doing that very fast?

Hmmm.... Like setting their research rate to 10% and their tech diffusion to 1000% so barbarians would only receive techs from other civs but doing that very fast?

This might be a good idea. I would have to enable it even if Tech Diffusion is off anyway.

A small suggestion regarding revolutions, mostly on layout: normally, when you try and change civics, the revolution effects are mixed up in full with the other effects, making it hard to distinguish between revolution effects and non-revolution effects. It'd be much better if revolution effects had their own section, seperate from the main in-game effects, in order to make it easier for the average player to see what's what without confusion.

Thoughts?

Sometimes I have to wonder what goes through the "minds" of the AI's attacking armies...

Civ4ScreenShot0097.JPG

Charlemagne marched this large stack up to this Greek city, and so I figured he'd take it easily. Pericles only had three units defending after all. Instead, five turns later, Charlemagne is still marching this stack back and forth between the two hill tiles, not even taking a turn to bombard the defenses!

Of course, between the city's area defense damage and the Tile Damage from the tundra, Holy Rome's stack is being pounded down to nothing without Perciles even needing to attack them. He kept moving that stack back and forth until the whole thing died, accomplishing absolutely nothing with it.

I had to witness Ramses doing the same thing when we were fighting Portugal earlier. He had a stack of seventy units, about a third of them siege units, that somehow were intimidated by a city defended by two arquebusiers and so just marched back and forth between a few tiles without even trying to bring down the defenses until I did it for him. After that, he finally attacked and took the city (And of course razed it)

At a guess, its a combination of a few things.

1) Path finding by the AI.
2) Defenses of the city, it may have a keep, so you can't maneuver around the city.
3) Not wishing to attack from a tile that deals damage.
4) Wishes to attack from a tile with the best defense. (Tundra hill top)
5) Shortest distance to traverse through enemy lands.

So it moves backwards and forwards, looking to a non damaging tile to assault the city, it can't move about the walls,so moves 1 backwards to a non damaging tile.

Next turn, it moves towards the city,

Rinse and repeat

At a guess, its a combination of a few things.

1) Path finding by the AI.
2) Defenses of the city, it may have a keep, so you can't maneuver around the city.
3) Not wishing to attack from a tile that deals damage.
4) Wishes to attack from a tile with the best defense. (Tundra hill top)
5) Shortest distance to traverse through enemy lands.

So it moves backwards and forwards, looking to a non damaging tile to assault the city, it can't move about the walls,so moves 1 backwards to a non damaging tile.

Next turn, it moves towards the city,

Rinse and repeat

Well here it was constantly moving between two damaging tundra tiles, and there wasn't any Zone of Control building present it seems. With Ramses much earlier, it didn't have a ballista turret or a ZoC. Their AI both said city attack, and they were going after the city they kept circling around, but they never stopped to bombard the defenses or anything - just kept marching around.

There is one thing though... That comes to mind..... Holy Rome declared on me again, despite him still being at war with the Greeks, and marched a very scary stack up to one of my core cities..... But despite having a large number of siege weapons and me not having a keep or anything (I researched Economics, obsoleting it), he never attacked. He just kept walking between these three tiles.... But I spotted a few stray riflemen heading this way, and it said their destination was where his assault stack was currently twiddling their thumbs. Once that small rifleman squad merged into the stack, THEN he started bombarding the defenses.

I can only guess that his big stack was waiting for some 'reinforcements' to arrive first, despite already having the numbers to tkae the city anyway (He never did though, Ramses spawned a Great Diplomat and forced peace the turn before he would have been able to take it)

Top Bottom