General A New Dawn discussion

Glad its not just me having espionage bouncing around like it does. Seeing a 1 city minor civ get a 99 priority is very strange.

Its also affecting my tax rates, I see science, culture and espionage levels jump around a bit when it happens.

The AI really, really like their fortifying city ruins. I mean, really really like it. Unless they're utterly bankrupt, I have yet to see them NOT fortify a ruin after razing a city, resulting in a mess of checkerboarded cultural landscapes from half a dozen forts littered around - of course, unoccupied ones at that - from the cities that get planted then raze-fortified.

Civ4ScreenShot0087.JPG

There's three forts here, and the city there was planted on a fourth - naturally removing it, but still. Not far off-screen to the southwest is three more forts, mere tiles away from each other, and to the east are two additional forts right outside my borders.

In my previous game there was a stretch of land that had ELEVEN FORTS belonging to five different empires because of all the city razing that was going on. Six hundred years later, this area was still unsettled because of the clashing borders all over the place from forts that had been unmanned for almost as long as they were constructed.

In Fixed Borders, if you can't hold a tile with military power, you lose control over it. If you have no units whatsoever manning a fort, wouldn't it make sense that it stops exerting your borders onto the adjacent tiles? Also, I really think the AI should kind of ease up on the fortifying, since I recall it being relatively pricey and so all this fortify ruins spam is probably hurting them financially for no real benefit... And I haven't seen the option to do that anymore with the new Razing methods? Why can the AI still do it then? Am I just missing something?

Can't you forbid fortifying city ruins or is the issue that the AI is razing the ruins itself in order to build a fort?

Can't you forbid fortifying city ruins or is the issue that the AI is razing the ruins itself in order to build a fort?

I need to comment out the code that allows razing and fortifying for AI, as I've done for human players.

I need to comment out the code that allows razing and fortifying for AI, as I've done for human players.

I'll have to update once that goes into effect, since it's kinda annoying seeing that Blanket of Forts :lol:
Though I might wait until the razing frequency is tuned down first, I only just now saw an AI *not* raze a city and it was because he recaptured a city that I took from him that flipped to the Olmecs. Every other city in the game's been razed so far ^^;

I just captured a size-15 city with a stack of fifty units, but the option to start pillaging the population isn't there? I've done so for a number of cities (All pop 9 or less though) and Friendly Pillaging is indeed on.

Last edited:
1) City has to be in Anarchy/revolt
2) No friendly pillaging, is the option, if its checked on, you can't pillage your own/allies lands.
3) Maybe majority your own culture?? shouldn't matter, if pillaged previously.

1. It was. I just captured it so it was in resistance as usual.
2. The option is switched off.
3. This was a Greek core city, about a dozen tiles away from my far-border cities.

A few turns later I captured a size-14 city just a bit further to the north. It gave me the option of pillaging it just fine. :confused:

I'm hoping someone still monitors this thread. Never mind why i'm falling back to Civ IV but I'm blowing the dust of it and the mods. Here is my question, I can't figure out how to get the flashing reminder at the bottom of the screen that says "press CTL ALT O for the Options screen for Mankiind......" to go away. I thought it evaporated after a few turns but that is not happening and it's annoying me. Any help here would be appraciated

I'm hoping someone still monitors this thread. Never mind why i'm falling back to Civ IV but I'm blowing the dust of it and the mods. Here is my question, I can't figure out how to get the flashing reminder at the bottom of the screen that says "press CTL ALT O for the Options screen for Mankiind......" to go away. I thought it evaporated after a few turns but that is not happening and it's annoying me. Any help here would be appraciated

Did you save after you turned it off in the BUG options? Sometimes you need to save more than once to get the changes to those options to take.

The other thing you can try is hard editing your BUG Main Interface.ini file in the UserSettings folder with a text editor (Notepad should work). There is a line close to the top that says Options Shortcut Reminder = True but if you change the True to False, the message should go away.

@Vokarya Hey thanks for responding. Changed the setting in the INI file and still no joy? any other ideas? Is that message designed to flash all turn every turn? I don't remember it that way....

ok, fixed it.BUG options, System Tab, unchecked "Options Shortcut Reminder", exit to desktop and relaunch and issue fixed. Would not have figured that out without your help. Thanks again!

ok, fixed it.BUG options, System Tab, unchecked "Options Shortcut Reminder", exit to desktop and relaunch and issue fixed. Would not have figured that out without your help. Thanks again!

Mine turned off and stayed off, so I don't know why yours would come back. That's the real question. It's supposed to turn off easily if you uncheck it in BUG. (One of the first threads I ever bookmarked here was the instructions for turning that off, since I despise it too.)

Mine turned off and stayed off, so I don't know why yours would come back. That's the real question. It's supposed to turn off easily if you uncheck it in BUG. (One of the first threads I ever bookmarked here was the instructions for turning that off, since I despise it too.)

It's refused to turn off for me a few times in the past as well, or would turn off then immediately come back after reloading the game. Only thing I could ever think of was maybe the options folder was being marked as Read-Only, so the change wouldn't "stick" so to speak.

Here is another offbeat question. I was reminded of this by the Pillaging thread.

In BTS, developed Cottages pillage downward one level at a time rather than be flat-out destroyed. This is to balance that Hamlets and up cannot be direct-built. We've lifted that restriction. Any improvement can be built directly, but it takes more worker time, sometimes has a higher tech requirement, and requires money that you may not have. So do we still need downward-pillaging at all? It makes some sense with Towns, but doesn't for anything else. Shaft Mine/Modern Mine, Windfarm/Windtrap, and Industry/Industrial Complex all have downward-pillaging.

Note, with a pillage group of 4, you can only pillage 3 times eg Modern mine, shaft mine, mine then have to reselect group. So for Town, Village, Hamlet, Cottage, you need to re-select pillage group again.

I suppose its to stop pillaging the Road by accident after destroying the modern mine?? As an example

I end my turn, and war trumpets sound out. Joao II, who's friendly with me, was the culprit. I had a lot of units at the only valley he could possibly be coming from, so wasn't particularly worried. So what do I do about this? I pay Joao's neighbor to declare war on him :p

Civ4ScreenShot0093.JPG

The Ottoman were quick to jump on his city there and killed an entire stack of units in the process, awesome. Wonder if he'll be able to pick up any prizes from this war or if it'll backfire on him... I doubt he'll get anything good though, since the AI are still playing with Always Raze on in this revision :devil:

Oh right, and you can see I'm also at war with the Holy Romans. The turn after Joao (Again, Friendly) declared on me... They declared war on me too. They were both Pleased, but one of them was Cautious with my AI buddy who had also been planting cities on their northern border as the space from their razing Siam's cities was freed up, so it might have been that I guess - but who can tell with these crazy AND leaders :lol:
I never checked to see how he felt about Ramses though, so again it could have been him I guess...

So far the only wars I've had were me declaring war on Russia multiple times, and Alexander declaring war on me like nine times before I finally pounded him and Pericles into irrelevance. So I'm loking forward to seeing how this two-sided war turns out. Holy Rome and Portugal both have Bombards while I don't, but me and my AI companion have a higher military production.

Last edited:
I would prefer leave things as they are.. they look good to me.

It seems inconsistent to me. Dome Farms and Hybrid Forests upgrade from other improvements but don't pillage downwards. I can understand towns pillaging downwards but not anything else.

Top Bottom