1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

General Discussion

Discussion in 'Civ3 - WH40K Workshop' started by LMR, Mar 20, 2007.

1. LMR

LMR Back In Green!

I will when I get a chance

2. Fortis1

Fortis1 Chieftain

Look foward to it.:)

3. LMR

LMR Back In Green!

Here's the tech screen

4. Fortis1

Fortis1 Chieftain

Looks great! Keep it up! Have you made some more tech icons yourself?

And unrelated question: that was stated in the very beginning of development thread, that Energy will be replacing Gold. Is that still in power?

5. LMR

LMR Back In Green!

I've made a couple, some were made by others and re-purposed

I don't remember the energy/gold discussion, I haven't changed it from gold in the test biq

6. Fortis1

Fortis1 Chieftain

7. LMR

LMR Back In Green!

Well, that actually helps me a bit, cos I was concerned that there were too many production increasing improvements. Now, half of those produce "tax" instead, meaning the trade improvements could increase happiness?

8. Fortis1

Fortis1 Chieftain

Yeah, that sounds fine, since I hardly imaging Necrons establishing marketplaces. They can increase luxury instead of tax.

My thoughts on resurces:

There are not much said about mined metals in WH40K, but there are many alloys for Imperium and other races. So I see two possibilities: represent these resources as alloys on the map, representing metals that required for these allys (for example, "Ceramite" resource will be shown on the map, but represents resources needed for Ceramite). But this way there will be a lot of race-specific resources.

The second way: make some common resources like "Metal Ore" required for all races (or almost all). But every race have to research certain tech for making new alloys from this ore (like Plasteel for Imperium, Bioplastics for Eldar, Fio'tak for Tau etc.) Thic techs will be required for other techs like Advanced Armour.

In second case, I have the following ideas for resources:

Metal Ore - 40k equivalent of Civ3 Iron. A lot of races should require this one, vehicles and heavy infantry particulary. Also for Factories and such.

Uranium or another radioactive material - equivalent of Saltpeter/coal. This should be used by heavy weapon troops and artillery. Ships, power generators and Titans also can use it. Alien vehicles, probably, too.

Promethium - Horses equivalent. I think, this one should be in era 1, not 2, and Mobile infantry shall need it. It will be useful for Imperium, Chaos and Orks. Other races will have something else.

Slag Deposit - I still don't clearly see its connection to plasma generators, but it could be used as resource required for plasma weapons and buildings. Or find something better. Tau will require this alot.

Crystals - will be required for laser weapons. Imperium and Tau can use this for armour.

Archeotech - some end-game units will require this. Obliterators will need it definately.

Relic - another end-game resource. Will be needed for Land Raiders, Demons and Avatars, for example.

Civ-specific:

Adamantium (the only metal that I found is not mined) - used for Terminator armor and Imperial Titans and some Imperial constructions.

Squiggs - probably, should be luxuary for Orks. And Squiggoths will require them, obviously.

Wraithbone - needed for Eldar Wraith-type units and buildings.

Necrons may have Necron Ruins or something like that, but I do not thing that they really need something.

For luxuary the most of Civ3 resources are okay, since in 40k they are not much different, as well as bonus. Also Eldar have some-cat like creature that can be used as luxuary. And there was some rare wood. Cannot recall their names (you mentioned it in your initial list). But when we decide the Strategic Resources, things will go easier.

9. Fortis1

Fortis1 Chieftain

I just thought that not much attention is given to natural resources in 40k universe, but different factions are often involved in war while trying to secure strategic locations. So what if planet where the mod events take place will be an ancient battlefield and different sides fighting to secure resources left from that times. So common natural resources will be replaced by ammo depots, promethium refineries, uranium mines, STC, foundries etc. This will both resolve the problem and is 40k style, I think.