General Questions

Kailric

Jack of All Trades
Please ask all general game questions here...

Just a question: In the founding fathers screen, are "art and science" produced by theaters, etc. Research? Courthouses? The manor? I'm not clear on what this means, but I'm sure not getting any at the start of the game.

Good question, at the moment Art and Science is generated by producing Research and by building the Library, Tinker's House, and Inventor's Workshop. It stands to reason that it should also include building Theaters so I will add this as well in the XML.

I see in the public maps folder, that there are some medieval maps, but when I play the mod they do not show up in game? Either in Play Now! or as Scenarios?

Wuh not?

You can just put them in the same folder as "THE_NEW_WORLD". They should show up then. What map have you been playing with? The way the mod is designed it may not work correctly without the "official maps".

I have just been using the New World Map.

i will shift them over to my main Col folder when I play again.
K, if you can not gain access to the Silk Road land route you may need to open world builder and manual place access to this trade route. The official maps do not have north and south poles and the land bridge thus created acts as access points for the Silk Road.

hey Kail, I have a technical question about the 'Travel Routes'

So I downloaded a world map, and went into world builder and found that there are buttons for painting the travel points on.

BUT

I cannot seem to paint the 'Silk Road' on anywhere land or sea, and when I paint the 'Spice Route' it comes out red like 'Europe' rather than the light blue of Medieval?

I have been looking at the xml and python and slowly trying to wrap my head around the wizardry, but are there some mechanics there or in the SDK that would cause issues for the travel routes on a 'non-medieval' map?

I know you talked about a north and south 'land bridge'..

Would there be any kind of solution that I could pursue to change it?

haha well something interesting just happened, I painted a square of spice route next to my peddler, and when he walked into it, it played the spice route video and told me I had discovered it! :D I couldn't travel there though, I am wondering if it will work when I dicover it using the Trade Points?

Is the Silk Road and Spice Route applied to the map in some special way, using some special code or something so that it only works (and plays video, etc.) after you 'discover' it via the trade points, I noticed that that seems to happen with the Silk Road, that it isn't there on the map until you discover it.. Where is all that handled?

It seems that once they have been 'discovered' they can be painted on the map in world builder, I tried it with my game that I am playing now.

I cannot seem to paint the 'Silk Road' on anywhere land or sea, and when I paint the 'Spice Route' it comes out red like 'Europe' rather than the light blue of Medieval?

Yeah, It appears to be a bug that want let the Silk Road appear as a colored tile. It "paints" it you just can see it. At the moment moving a unit onto a Spice Route tile is a "secret way" to discover the Spice Route faster than with trade points. The Silk Road has be researched as normal. It is also hard coded that the Spice Route is a sea route and the Silk Road is a land based route so if you painted a Spice Route on land, land units still want be able to use it. This should be changed in the code to make it more modder friendly. And If I am not mistaken the colors of the trade route are based off your Nations colors.

Look in the Hints section of the Pedia. If you have cheat codes enabled you can instantly research Silk Road by pressing K and selecting Silk Road tech.

Ah sneaky! That explains the different colour then, as my civ was different in my new world build than it was in my medi game!

So is there a way to see the Silk Road, in world builder (like using the cheat) but then being able to save the world builder without the cheat still active? So you paint it save it, but then the player doesn't get the Silk Road Automatically when they start the game as a scenario? Or what would be involved in making it modder friendly?

Also where abouts is the Land/Sea route hard coding? and where is the 'Secret Way' coded? Also when you discover the two ways, is that bit of map revealed even if you haven't expored it yet? I can't remember what happened in my game.. If Not would it be possible to make it appear out of the black?

Sorry for all the questions, I find what you have achieved fascinating though! It is already so close to what I think I want/need!

My basic plan is to Trade Centres a bit like Europa Universalis if you have seen that. So there would be Four great 'Paint Trade Centres' (Using the North South East West system) One in Europe (Bit like The Fair), One in the Middle East (Spice Route) One in China (Silk Road) and then one in the Americas (bit like Aztec/Maya/Inca Great City), so when they are discovered through trade points your merchants 'hear of a rumour' of a great centre of trade filled with exotic goods and demands!

It also seems quite accessible/adaptable once you know where you are looking, of course I haven't tried to adapt anything or look in the SDK, so I may come to regret this comment!! :D

In options, I checked Time Victory. I think this was unchecked by default but I don't remember accurately. In any case, at the end of the pre-Invasion period the game declared I had won and the Pope never showed up.

Is this the way the game is supposed to work? This mechanism doesn't seem desirable. Would you consider removing it from the options screen?

In options, I checked Time Victory. I think this was unchecked by default but I don't remember accurately. In any case, at the end of the pre-Invasion period the game declared I had won and the Pope never showed up.

Is this the way the game is supposed to work? This mechanism doesn't seem desirable. Would you consider removing it from the options screen?

I'm not sure what the vanilla time limit is for Time Victory, but I'll look into it.

Here is a prayer written by a crack team of lawyers:

"Insofar as I may be heard by anything, which may or may not care what I say, I ask, if it matters, that you be forgiven for anything you may have done or failed to do which requires forgiveness. Conversely, if not forgiveness but something else may be required to insure any possible benefit for which you may be eligible after the destruction of your body, I ask that this, whatever it may be, be granted or withheld, as the case may be, in such a manner as to insure your receiving said benefit. I ask this in my capacity as your elected intermediary between yourself and that which may not be yourself, but which may have an interest in the matter of your receiving as much as it is possible for you to receive of this thing, and which may in some way be influenced by this ceremony. Amen."​

I've been trying unsuccessfully to build a siege workshop through several games. One problem is that I don't remember which of my towns started as outposts or military settlements. Both can build workshops, right? How can I tell.

I'm not sure the code that lets you do this is working correctly, in any case.

I've been trying unsuccessfully to build a siege workshop through several games. One problem is that I don't remember which of my towns started as outposts or military settlements. Both can build workshops, right? How can I tell.

I'm not sure the code that lets you do this is working correctly, in any case.

There are little indicator Icons on the billboard of each time. Monastery is "Hands in Prayer", Normal Cities are "Gold Pile", and military are "Stars" I think. This is a true concern and we have plans to make adjustments for City screens so you can better tell what kind of settlement it is. Military settlements start with an Outpost in the Center that upgrades to Motte and Bailey, then a Castle.

I'll check the code.

I can't compile a Solution. :confused: I have followed your 4 wiki pages:

[GIT]
[GIT switch branch]
[compiler setup]
(including adding path location variable)
[compile]

But I come up with this result log:

Spoiler :

1>------ Build Operation started: proyect: Colonization Mod Collection, configuration: Assert-fast Win32 ------
1>
1> Microsoft Program Maintenance Utility (R) version 10.00.30319.01
1> (C) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
1>
1>EXEC : FATAL error : Failed to locate boost and python
1> _precompile.cpp
1>c:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My documents\Medieval_Conquest\sourceDLL\DLL_Sources\CvGameCoreDLL.h(204): fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'boost/python/list.hpp': No such file or directory
1>NMAKE : fatal error U1077: '"C:\Program files\Microsoft Visual C++ Toolkit 2003\bin\cl.exe"' : returned codie '0x2'
1> Stop.
1>
1> jom 1.0.14 - empower your cores
1>
1>EXEC : FATAL error : Failed to locate boost and python
1> BoolArray.cpp
1>BoolArray.cpp(6): fatal error C1083: Cannot open precompiled header file: '..\temp_files\Assert\CvGameCoreDLL.pch': No such file or directory
1> jom: C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My documents\Medieval_Conquest\sourceDLL\DLL_Sources\Makefile [..\temp_files\Assert\BoolArray.obj] Error 2
1>C:\Program Files\MSBuild\Microsoft.Cpp\v4.0\Microsoft.MakeFile.Targets(38,5): error MSB3073: Command "set TARGET=Assert
1>C:\Program Files\MSBuild\Microsoft.Cpp\v4.0\Microsoft.MakeFile.Targets(38,5): error MSB3073: nmake precompile
1>C:\Program Files\MSBuild\Microsoft.Cpp\v4.0\Microsoft.MakeFile.Targets(38,5): error MSB3073: bin\jom build" turned out code 2.
========== Build: 0 succeeded, 1 failed, 0 up-to-date, 0 skipped ==========

Could it be because I have cloned the git branch outside of
My Documents\My games\Sid Meier's Civilization IV Colonization\MODS\Medieval_Conquest
?

I also remember I wasn't asked for authentification when cloning the branch.
Was it a SmartGit6 different feature?

Top Bottom