Germany Video

I don't think that we will see THAT many unique styles, but more would be welcome even if multiple civs use them.

I kind of hope they'd go down the path of Cultural Diversity mod with the type of cultural groups that had.

So that you don't have Arabia and Egypt sharing the same art styles but have Egypt, Sumeria and Babylon doing it.

Barbarossa and Teddy on the same continent is sure going to cause quite a mess.

Barbarossa: I'm taking that city-state!
Teddy: No you're not!
Barbarossa: Yes I am!
*declares war on city-state
Teddy: No you just didn't!
*declares war on Barbarossa
*war weakens both of them
Cleopatra: Ohohoho I will crush you since your army is so puny!
*declares war on Teddy and Barbarossa
Tomyris: You dishonorable monster!
*declares war on Cleopatra

And so we have a world war going.

Still a better reason than WWI

I personally hate the design. The bonus against city-states seems incredibly weak to me. Let's just hope that attacking CS will be a viable strat in Civ 6. His other bonuses seem very lackluster to me, especially when not playing as a warmongers. Here is a civ with next to no bonuses to eco until very, very late in the game.

Both the Hanse and the U-Boat come way too late to make a big impact in the game. It was pretty much the same in Civ V where both America and Germany had extreme potential but could never compete with actually good Civs, because their boni usually start very early: Poland's free policies, the Huns' UUs, the free GS from Babylon et cetera.

Oh well. I liked the Aztecs and the Japanese so far, it's just sad to always have Germany be a mediocre civ that doesn't really have much incentive to play, especially as a German.

Just dropping a quick scenario:

You're landlocked, there are a few good CS, but they have bad territory. Your neighbours are warmongers or have an agenda against warmongers. Almost all of your utility is now gone. This is a very realistic scenario, probably every other game to be honest.

I personally hate the design. The bonus against city-states seems incredibly weak to me. Let's just hope that attacking CS will be a viable strat in Civ 6. His other bonuses seem very lackluster to me, especially when not playing as a warmongers. Here is a civ with next to no bonuses to eco until very, very late in the game.

Both the Hanse and the U-Boat come way too late to make a big impact in the game. It was pretty much the same in Civ V where both America and Germany had extreme potential but could never compete with actually good Civs, because their boni usually start very early: Poland's free policies, the Huns' UUs, the free GS from Babylon et cetera.

Oh well. I liked the Aztecs and the Japanese so far, it's just sad to always have Germany be a mediocre civ that doesn't really have much incentive to play, especially as a German.

Hanse is medieval, and the bonus district is most beneficial early on when pops are small.

I wouldn't be so quick to write off Germany.

I suspect the extra district will have potential to snowball. I mean you look at Civ 5 Babylon and could potentially think a single GS a measly 8 science academy isn't that big of a deal, but for how early it comes, it makes Babylon one of the best Civs in the game from that alone. (of course the 50% increased GS generation on top of that, but that is besides the point)

I'm not saying Germany is going to be the next Babylon, just that the extra district early on has potential. Also even though it is a military card slot, it doesn't necessarily mean warmongering. An obvious example given in a video was that you could pick a government with extra economy slots without giving up a military slot--indirectly using it as an extra slot of another type.

As for city-states, I think it is a bit early to tell but a lot has changed. Warmonger penalties have been significantly reduced in ancient era. I would not be surprised if one of the common strategies in Civ 6 is to aggressively carve out an empire early on, before the penalties kick in.

Just dropping a quick scenario:

You're landlocked, there are a few good CS, but they have bad territory. Your neighbours are warmongers or have an agenda against warmongers. Almost all of your utility is now gone. This is a very realistic scenario, probably every other game to be honest.

I don't agree. There's liable to be some military policies beneficial to players who aren't aggressively conquering (like Logistics, +1 movement for all of your units while in your territory), which means having a military slot when selecting a government that otherwise wouldn't have one is quite valuable. An extra district could potentially be a huge boon for an economic player, to say nothing of the Hanse.

I'll grant you the leader bonus and the U-boat are not exciting for a player who doesn't focus on war, but I have a feeling that most UUs are not going to be that useful for those who are not at war.

Hanse is medieval, and the bonus district is most beneficial early on when pops are small.

Hanse is medieval? Didn't they say it replaces a sort of industrial district? If that is true that's amazing news. Medieval or Industrial can make a world of difference!

I just stupidly assumed it was industrial given the name of the district and the fact that Hanse in Civ V came just before Indu. Era.

Hanse is medieval? Didn't they say it replaces a sort of industrial district? If that is true that's amazing news. Medieval or Industrial can make a world of difference!

I just stupidly assumed it was industrial given the name of the district and the fact that Hanse in Civ V came just before Indu. Era.

:lol: No, Industrial District, the original one is unlocked with Apprentinceship in Medieval Era anyway.

The first building in the Industrial District is the Workshop. So yeah, it comes earlier.

I don't like his looks. That armour is too wide, and he looks werid! Please change his looks to something like this, Firaxis:

Very, very long beard, redish cape, and normal thinner armour and nice helmet.

I don't like his looks. That armour is too wide, and he looks werid! Please change his looks to something like this, Firaxis:

Spoiler :

Very, very long beard, redish cape, and normal thinner armour and nice helmet.

They are unlikely to change his look so drastically.

I don't like his looks.

I was very disappointed myself, and completely agree with your wishes. Unfortunately it won't happen. His voice, his haircut, his miniscule beard, his boring and bulky armor, his incorrect crown, his uninspired animation - it's all a letdown.

I'm really looking forward to playing Germany! I think they might be my first game, but I'm worried the extra district perk might become a handicap if I play them first. I don't want to go into my second game with a different civ and be all messed up by the lack of the extra early district.

Germany may be my first game as well. I usually play America first (as I have since Civ2), but that may change this time around. I'm a production whore. I love it so much.

Germany may be my first game as well. I usually play America first (as I have since Civ2), but that may change this time around. I'm a production whore. I love it so much.

I'm keep thinking who I will play first, and I keep coming back to civs with some bonus to districts, Aztecs, Japan and Germany.

Tho Germany keeps looking as the better candidate because it should let you play the disctrict "puzzle game" faster than with other civs, seems better to learn the ropes.

IMO the beard of "Redbeard" is not fairytale but good enough:)

Aachen was not the capital of the Empire. The point is that there was no capital of Germany in this time. Aachen was the coronation city. Medieval Frankfurt was an important meeting point of the powerful. For Barbarossa Regensburg was a very important city.

I think this time they have chosen the medieval Germany with Aachen as capital, so that

Prussia (with Berlin)

will be a DLC later.

IMO the beard of "Redbeard" is not fairytale but good enough:)

Aachen was not the capital of the Empire. The point is that there was no capital of Germany in this time. Aachen was the coronation city. Medieval Frankfurt was an important meeting point of the powerful. For Barbarossa Regensburg was a very important city.

I think this time they have chosen the medieval Germany with Aachen as capital, so that

Prussia (with Berlin)

will be a DLC later.

I think that Prussian leaders would just be alternative leaders for the German Civ. As was the case in Civ IV.

I think that Prussian leaders would just be alternative leaders for the German Civ. As was the case in Civ IV.

I would hope so. Will alternative leaders have distinct city lists, I wonder?

They may well do as if Gorgo is actually in the release version, it would be backwards to have the capital of Greece be Athens.

I would hope so. Will alternative leaders have distinct city lists, I wonder?

They may well do as if Gorgo is actually in the release version, it would be backwards to have the capital of Greece be Athens.

With cities randomized after the capital, seems like it would be easy to tie different capitals to different leaders. Just a different first city, then the same random list after that. (With, I guess, the capital of the other leader added to it).

Unless it's functionally not usable at all due to how long it takes cities to do everything in civ. The same way that V Rome's production bonus had no meaningful impact on infrastructure when the norm was always cities not finishing markets until you had almost teched to industrial.

On the other hand if VI has a huge imbalanced production and food source like BE's trade routes, the extra district could be usable, but irrelevant compared to the imbalanced element.

Since we can assume VI isn't going to be balanced at release, Germany probably won't be too fun or interesting to play — and by the time it is balanced, the logic for having an extra district slot will already be so outdated that we'll be clamouring for a revamped UA. Culture, faith, growth bonuses will probably be the only ones worthwhile to play with among the vanilla civs again.

Top Bottom