Getting beat at a wonder

Of course it's cheating, but it's also a good way to try out and practice new techniques. We're talking about your solo game where, from the sounds of things, you're honing some skills. Reloading is a no-no :nono: in competitive play or SGs, so don't do it there, but I sure wouldn't worry about it here. Congrats on beating Theodora to the Wonder. :goodjob:
True.
By cheating I learned the skill of micromanagement better.
I'm going to play a friend of mine in a MP game, and I don't think we're going to have any rules. :nuke:

Ooh something else.

In PTW, if you rush a wonder with a MGL, you cannot then switch to another wonder(ie no rushing a pre-build the turn before getting the new wonder tech).

I wonder if this applies to Conquest SGLs? Probably though I've never tried it.

It does apply to SGLs in C3C, as I have found to my cost.

Actually, when you use hurry production on a normal building, that takes up lots of shields (Im just guessing, Bank) And I'd Hurry it, You can then change to a wonder for a head start.

There's a word for that, But I forgot...
You may be thinking of "short-rushing." But Nergal is correct:
If you do any hurrying on a prebuild it prevents you from using it for a Wonder as far as I know. I've had a few cases where the Wonder I wanted to build was greyed out because a worker had done a forest chop too near the city.
Putting any shields in the bin from rushing, chopping or disbanding (did I forget anything) marks those shields as "tainted" shields and prevents you from switching to a Wonder.
True.
By cheating I learned the skill of micromanagement better.
I'm going to play a friend of mine in a MP game, and I don't think we're going to have any rules. :nuke:
Maybe I wasn't clear. I don't think reloading in this case was a problem.

If you do any hurrying on a prebuild it prevents you from using it for a Wonder as far as I know. I've had a few cases where the Wonder I wanted to build was greyed out because a worker had done a forest chop too near the city.

This is too true. I had forgotten all about a chop I had done to clear the land near a really productive city. I had perfectly timed my Uni pre-build to snag the wonder and it was denied for that city. :wallbash:

Hi everyone... I'm new here but have been playing Civ III for a couple of years. I love it, but am nowhere near as strategic about it as you guys. I'm in awe reading some of these posts.

One of the posts said "I went to a nearby city, took away the shield tiles and put them somewhere else."

How do you do this??

I think I'm really underestimating the importance of the shields.... I don't completely get how they work. Can anyone point me to an article that details this??

(and sorry if I'm asking dumb questions)

One of the posts said "I went to a nearby city, took away the shield tiles and put them somewhere else."

How do you do this??
He didn't actually mean that he moved the tiles (which is how I read that quote). He had his cities placed so that the tiles the citizens could work overlapped. He went to the city screen of the cities that neighboured his wonder build town and rearranged the citizens so that they freed up the high shield tiles that could be worked also by the wonedr town (probably bonus grass or hills). He then zoomed in to the city screen for the wonder build and claimed them for this city.

Oh, and welcome to the site! :band:

Hmm, that is interesting about the change in Military Great Leaders rushing Wonders. I have Civ3Complete, 1.22 Rev. A on my Mac, and I am rushing Wonders with Leaders on a regular basis. I am doing the same on my Windows box I use for game editing without problems. Might have to check exactly what version is on there. I have done some creative editing with Wonders, so normally have a surplus of leaders. I play the game for fun, and I am having a lot of fun now that I can finally edit Conquest and Play the World.

Now I see what you mean about the tiles... I played around with it on the weekend... but, um, got very badly killed when I tried to play at Monarch level.

I think I'm really underestimating the importance of the shields.... I don't completely get how they work. Can anyone point me to an article that details this??
(and sorry if I'm asking dumb questions)
Any tile gives you food, commerce and/or shields.
- Food is for the people of the town. 1 citizen eats 2 food. Food that is not eaten goes in the storage box. If that box is full, the town gains a citizen.
- Commerce is money in your pocket, or goes into research or pays maintenance of the buildings.
- Shields are for production of things you make (buildings, military)

Hi everyone... I'm new here but have been playing Civ III for a couple of years. I love it,

Well howdy Bosey... Dare I hope that we have another female player from Ontario around here... :) glad you joined up.

This game was a big help to me in learning how many of the game actions work.

Check out the Legendary Civ games section for some great reading that will teach you more than you could believe you need to learn.

Hi darski! Yup, I'm a gamer of the female variety and yes, from Ontario. Thanks for the welcome and for the links... I'll be sure to check them out.

Can the military leaders rush great wonders in your conquests games? I use conquests, but have never been able to get military leaders to rush great wonders. They can rush the small wonders, though.

I am using the leaders that I create to rush both Great and Small Wonders. I think that the difference is the computer is not regarding them as Military Great Leaders, just Great Leaders. I have noticed that with my changes that I am getting more Science Great Leaders as well.

Meisen, would you like me to post one of my building and Wonder mods for you to take a look at?

If you are interested in getting into a Training Day Succession Game, Myth 01 on Regent is still looking for players...

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=258088

I was supposed to join but I can't seem to get a copy of the C3C for love nor money.:mad:

:lol::lol::lol:

Darski, I was just at Best Buy tonight, and they must have had 5 copies of Civ3Complete in the store. You might want to check Best Buy online for it. Otherwise, I would not mind sending you a copy.

She finally got the upgrade:)

Actually, when you use hurry production on a normal building, that takes up lots of shields (Im just guessing, Bank) And I'd Hurry it, You can then change to a wonder for a head start.

There's a word for that, But I forgot...
that's untrue.
If you rush a building, you can not switch to a wonder afterwards.

Top Bottom