Getting past Noble

Zahar

Chieftain
Hi guys, I've been playing Civ4 casually since it was released, but lately I've been trying to master the game before Civ5. Maybe master is isn't the correct term, but I'd like a stronger grasp on Civ4 strategy.

I've beaten some Noble and even Prince games, but it's not a sure thing. I lost 3 Noble games today, and I'm getting to the point where I have questions without answers, so here I am.

I can't remember what civ I played in my first game, it was a few days ago. However, I did choose the arboria map because I wanted to try something a bit different. One thing I had always noticed is that I settle 3-4 cities and then I'm content with those throughout the game until I take some from the AI. Expanding is going to be the theme of this post. I actually wrote notes about everything I did in my last game, but I decided that I'd ignore all the smaller issues and focus on getting better at expanding. Anyways, my arboria game. There was actually quite a few decent spots to plan a city near me, and I ended up over-expanding. OK, I loaded the game. I'm Sumeria, and I have 5 cities at 980 BC. All in really great places, by looking at this game I'd feel I was in a really strong position. The problem is I'm at -1 gold a turn with 0% research, and I lost most of my military to strikes. There really was just no good money resources near me, and I hadn't quite had time to get to cottages yet (I tend to focus on food first). Here's the city-count of the various AIs: 4, 6, 5, 3, 4. As you can see, the AI is very close to me in city count. And if anything, I have the best resources on the map. There's no gems or anything like that which I'd consider a big money making resource. This is very common in all of my games, the AI can afford massive 20-city empires while I can't. If I want to compete, my empire is just a fraction of the size of their's. I'm totally clueless as to what major money making strategy I'm missing out on... I build cottages, usually focusing on one city near money resources. I (later on) build courthouses and get the various "money techs." The problem was that this is so early in the game I couldn't avoid bankruptcy, so how does the AI with equal number of cities as me do it? In general, their city is way more improved than mine, they have their entire empire already maxed on improved tiles and I don't see a single worker in the World Editor, is this just part of the AI's advantage? If so, what is Deity like, the AI can build 5 fully evolved towns per turn? I'm still working on improving all my resource tiles, I can throw down a random farm here and there but I'm nowhere near being safe enough to start massing up cottages. This is with 7 workers for 6 cities.

So, the cliffs notes is: How do I keep up with the AI in expansion, and not go broke?

Game 2 & 3: I was experimenting with some other quirky map types, I don't think I have saves. Expansion was again, a problem. Justinian always had 2-3x+ map control than I did, and often stifled my ability to expand early on at about 3-4 cities. I had nowhere to expand and ended both of these games when I had 4 cities to his 10+.

Game 4: This is the last game I did, on Pangea. I took notes on this, and have many questions from it, but again, expanding was my biggest problem. I played the Dutch on Noble. Everything started great, I started near Shaka who I deemed as a threat, so I chariot rushed him early, and took his capital. This was such a huge move for me, as his capital was absolutely amazing. I'd tell you how much money Ulandi is making right now, except I'm not sure why it won't tell me. When I go into the city view, there's a stack of coins which I swore was the count of how much money you got per turn from that city. But it shows at 0.00 even with research at 0% (so the coins are at 100%). Bizarre. Anyways, I have two tiles with money bag + 4 coins, a couple other money bags, +4 coins from many coast tiles. My goal of this game was to stay alive with money, and even with a financial leader on Noble I don't make as much as I think I should (breaking even at 80% research currently at 1075 AD). I stopped playing at 1075 AD since Asoka just started plowing so far ahead of me. Yes, I could continue playing, but I atleast like to keep close to the AI. Once I get far behind I lose interest.

Asoka was like Justinian in this game, controlling over half of the map. I expanded quickly, and what I felt at the most opportune times, but only ended up with 4 cities before I had Asoka blocking me to the west and the north, and Sitting Bull to the east. I played on 4 cities for awhile, until I realized that Asoka had over 10 cities. I create a location I didn't like at all, and culture bombed it to eventually force a Native American city to revolt to me. These cities aren't very good at all, but I felt like I needed more. But then I started wondering, is it worth making 10-20 coins less a turn for cities that are going to suck? At this point, Asoka has twice as many cities as me (12) all in really good spots, except for one questionable city.

So, that's about that. How do I afford to expand, how can I keep up with the AI and not go broke, and is it really worth it found cities not in optimal resource areas and take a maintenance hit, only to be able to grow and produce very slowly?

Thanks for reading, I'm sure I'll have more questions soon :)

Could you post a save and possibly some Pictures?

Or post a game on here, explain your tactics.

And try to condense your posts, maybe separate the games from your questions; I assure you people will be much more eager to help if they don't have to go through a wall of text. :)

One big misconception among new players(including me just over a year ago) is that commerce:commerce: is always equivalent to gold:gold:. The differences between commerce and gold are explained in these posts(ignore espionage:espionage: if you're not playing BTS). Also, you will hear other players talking about how the number of science:science: (aka "beakers," but technically they're flasks) is more important than %:science:. Basically the argument goes like this: would you rather have a small empire with 30:science: at 100%:science:, or a large empire with 40:science: at 20%:science:?

The more "normal-looking" map types: continents, pangea, or fractal, with tribal villages and random events turned off are better for comparing games and measuring a player's skill.

With a very fragile economy early game you can only settle too many city spots, so prioritize settling the best(e.g. high food+commerce) and/or necessary(horse/metal) city spots first. Ideally it's capitol -> strategic resource(if none in capital) -> high commerce(gold/gems, rivers) -> blocker cities(to deny the AI of land; may need to be settled earlier depending on AI proximity, land quality etc.) -> happiness resouces -> backfilling

Get riverside cottages. Don't expand anymore if your beakers per turn drops below 8, before you reach pottery, otherwise you'll never get there.

If your 6th city costs your empire 6 gold per turn (remember, number of cities increases maintenance in every city, not just the new one), and it has no commerce sources, you lose 5 commerce. Considering you only start with 8 commerce from your palace, you will run out pretty quickly.

But as above, if you have riverside cottages, that's 2+ commerce per tile, so switch/grow 3 tiles in your empire to riverside cottages, you're back in the positive again.

Sorry for the long post, I was trying to be as informative as possible.

I'll post some screenshots of the game. I may not have placed cities in the best locations, or worked the best improvements, as I'm basically playing "whatever feels right" without any sort of grand strategy. Anyways, it was a small game where I could work improving my gameplay: Pangea, Tiny, 4 AIs

Early on, feeling fairly confident:

I settled Amsterdam in place, chariot rushed Ulundi, and then later settled Utrecht to pick up the copper and corn. This is when I realized I was starting to hurt economy-wise, and this is also where I started to slow down expanding, and Asoka started flying ahead of me. I put down a mix of cottages and farms on Ulundi's food plains, but later realized I probably should have just gone all cottages and ended up replacing them. Sitting bull expands down the east , so I try to go north but all I can claim before Asoka is the dye city.

Asoka's expanding way faster than me, I get the dye city and I've been throwing cottages all around Ulundi but I still can't even come close to keeping up. Asoka soon takes that barbarian city, and this is my empire for a long time.

Asoka steamrolled me. Rotterdam is the "bad" city that I culture bombed to flip Spiro. Honestly I even have a chance at winning, as I was teching straight to rifles. For some reason, the AI has a huge advantage over me when it comes to commerce/expansion, but rarely out-techs me. But I don't have the best production and a war between my little empire vs. India's would have been rough I think.

I could have also possibly spread Hinduism through India and try for a diplomatic win, and I would say my chances of winning a space race are much higher than Asoka, but winning these ways after being behind all games feels a little cheap to me.

Edit: Yes, I play no tribal villages / no random events.

Just a quick look tells me that you probably need more workers, since you are working quite a few unimproved tiles. A good rule of thumb is to have 1.5 workers per city i.e. 3 worker per two cities.

Build more workers, and build more cottages. Those forested tiles that you're working in utrect could have 5 or 6 commerce by now! it's ridiculous to see cities working unimproved tiles at 1000ad... another thing i noticed is that rotterdam's fish isnt improved, and you're not building a work boat. work boat before granaries in seafood cities. You also seem to have a case of builderitis. it's a tiny map, make some units instead of the monastaries and such and you could've had a dom win by now!

also, could we have a copy of the map? it looks like it'd be really fun to play.

Thanks for the replies. Yeah, I notice the unimproved tiles around Utrecht sure, I must have just gotten sloppy mid-game when Asoka's empire started exploding. The saved game is slightly after this, I started building a work boat after the granary but I guess I got that backwards (I think it's because Rotterdam has no production and I felt 60 turns for a work boat was ridiculous), and my workers started improving more around Utrecht. But I agree, that was really sloppy and not sure why I didn't notice it immediately before while playing. I was having a little bit of an issue with happiness, hence the religious buildings, but I'll also keep that in mind.

I started playing another game today on Noble to document here, but I ended up completely dominating everyone. I guess that's sort of the problem I'm having, I either fall way behind or jump way ahead, I wish I could consistently get better games.

As far as the map, it's just a randomly generated pangea... I'm not sure how to share the map. Just save from World Builder and upload that?

Edit: Tried that, says invalid file.

Smaller maps have increased maintenance relative to number of cities, so tiny maintenance with 6 cities early is going to hurt a lot.

I think teching Ironworking in this situation is bad. You can always get it from an AI for alphabet.
I only tech Ironworking first if
- If I have a high commerce start, and want to get swords quickly and kill someone
- Jungle gems.
- really need a strategic resource for defense.

You have copper, no plans to kill someone and that jungle city you settled is very poor until you get calendar as well.

I think teching Ironworking in this situation is bad. You can always get it from an AI for alphabet.
I only tech Ironworking first if
- If I have a high commerce start, and want to get swords quickly and kill someone
- Jungle gems.
- really need a strategic resource for defense.

You have copper, no plans to kill someone and that jungle city you settled is very poor until you get calendar as well.

I agree with this, but there's at least one more reason to get fast iron working: to know the location of iron early. Of course, the only possible reason this would be important is if you're planning on expanding pretty quickly to secure this resource and deny it to your opponent. As we can see, that doesn't happen in this game either--Asoka could have easily put down an expansion to grab the iron as late as 1000 A.D.!

This is important because getting e.g. currency fast would have helped your economy, and you could have expanded more actively, which was very important given the geography. (specifically I mean the possibility of one of the AI's running away with too much land)

I also disagree with the farms on the flood plains, maxing out your food income isn't so important once you've grown to your happy cap, but every little bit of commerce helps support more cities. Flood plains are so awesome because they're still net positive food even without a farm, so why not milk them for all they're worth?

Also: make sure your cities have trade networks. Free cash.

Yeah, I've definitely learned a lot since I first posted. I may be over-doing it with the cottages now, I hardly ever use farms, but I'm being a lot more successful with all of the extra commerce. And it doesn't really matter if a city grows slowly or quickly, it'll cap eventually. Like I said before, I played a game as Pacal and felt like I was playing Settler, never broke a sweat. I decided to try another game as Pacal since I really liked how the Financial/Expansion traits worked together to allow me to keep up with the AI. This game went strangely. I was a little late rushing my neighbor Germany in the beginning, but eventually took him over. I then macroed up and was beating the AI in score. Montezuma was close, however I had worked on making friends with him as I didn't want to war just yet. America was to my south and was controlling a really nice gems city. Montezuma and Washington go to war, when Montezuma asks me to join him I accept to keep up my relation (high Pleased). I neglected my defenses at home to rush south to capture the gem city and Washington (the capital). At this point, the strangest thing happens. Montezuma declares war on me, and takes two of my cities. I end up taking them back, and then losing another again right after my Great Artist popped in it. This game quickly went into the crapper, and although I'm sure I could salvage it I really don't feel like it.

Lessons learned: don't skimp on military while macroing up, try to keep better control over my diplomatic relations, and never trust Monty. Maybe there was something more I could have done to have kept Montezuma happy like gifting him a tech or something. I didn't want to help him too much as I planned on taking him out eventually, but he attacked at the absolute worst time.

@LydianRain trade "networks"? If you mean trade routes, don't they basically just come automatically as long as you have open borders with other civs? I never considered having to manage that.

@LydianRain trade "networks"? If you mean trade routes, don't they basically just come automatically as long as you have open borders with other civs? I never considered having to manage that.

Yeah, they're automatic if you're connected by roads/rivers/sea/whatever. (given appropriate advances) I just made my comment because your cities aren't quite connected in 1200 B.C., so you missed out on some cash. If you keep your worker count up, it's reasonable to have every city connected almost immediately after it's built. (in higher difficulties, this is also essential for strategic resources, which can be very important for dealing with early barbarians)

Top Bottom