1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Getting Started

Discussion in 'Communitas Expansion Pack' started by Thalassicus, Sep 30, 2010.

1. Kirschi

Kirschi ~~~

Yes, but for free? Nothing is for free in this world ^^
    With other things they are really hard bargainers and often want the the double or triple worth back and here they gift me their SR? Well I did need it, I can't imagine they would see them as obsolete at that time.

Yes its still there in latest (.16) beta, had the same problem (mod bug).

EDIT: Sorry, haven't seen the new threads for beta discussion and bug reports.

2. Thalassicus

Thalassicus Bytes and Nibblers

Still trying to work out some issues with integrating Seek/Alpaca's great scientist mod into this one, hopefully that stuff is fixed in .19 though.

Glad you like the railyard! It was created by someone named "Dan," don't know much more than that since it's a concise, to-the-point mod.

The farm bonus on fertilizer was returned to vanilla because of two reasons. I added that bonus back in September, but since then:

• Aqueduct was added, improving growth
    • Firaxis sped up high-population growth
    These two things combined with the farm bonus ended up being a bit too much. It also made rivers more valuable than vanilla... I basically shifted this river-value effect to other improvements earlier in the tech tree.

I agree resource balance isn't perfect yet in the modern era, it's still a work in progress. :)

@Kirschi
    The way I look at it, the AI demands stuff from us all the time so it makes sense they'd sometimes give things in return. :)

In this case, the AI evaluates how useful each potential trade item is when trading it away. If they have zero units or buildings using Iron, the value of Iron is zero. It goes both ways too... can't sell resources to the AI they don't need. There's not much we can do about this mechanism.

3. alpaca

alpaca King of Ungulates

If there's nothing useful to build, then yes, I'll set it to research. It doesn't really matter. A city with just 5 production or so doesn't finish anything anyways. I haven't played BC lately, mind, so I don't know how the buildings are balanced right now.

4. rhammer640

rhammer640 Russian Monk

Hey Thal, i was wondering with the upcoming release of the public version, do you have a list of things that you want to try to work out during the next cycle of testing? Just figured it might be nice to post to allow everyone here time to start thinking about what we could do to balance out those areas etc.

5. LamaGT

LamaGT Emperor

uhm ok, so now, when will it be fixed? i don't want to waste my great scientist :(

6. Thalassicus

It should be fixed in beta builds 2.0.19 or higher. :)

@rhammer640
    The stuff I want to try is mostly things that's been discussed over the past week or so, like adjusting aircraft balance, both the units themselves and the ratio of air to ground for AI.

I also want to do some further work on balancing national wonders among themselves and with the game in general.

My first priority's probably going to be finishing the automatic tooltip system (for units and promotions)... it's one of those especially complex things that if I put it off, my awareness of the code will slip and I'll probably never get it done. :crazyeye:

7. rhammer640

rhammer640 Russian Monk

ok, thanks, there have been so many posts over the last couple of weeks that i wasn't sure if i missed anything, lol

edit: on another note, what do ppl think about barbarians in civV? There was some discussion about making them feel more like a threat in the specialized barbarian mod thread but it seemed beyond the goals of that mod so i figured i would bring it up here. I really miss the challenge that barbarians provided in Civ IV. There was always the threat of them sacking a city etc. Now with the increased power of cities i dont really feel like they are much of a danger. They are obviously still a danger to scouts etc. I also miss the barbarian animals, i felt they added a lot of variety to scouting and were something the scout could actually beat with a little effort. Lastly i liked coming across the barbarian cities later in the game and having someone to war against without causing a diplomatic cluster.

Anyway, just figured it might be an interesting discussion as to if ppl feel barbarians could use some work and what they think could be done.

8. SuicideMW

SuicideMW Chieftain

Hey Thal, I tried installing the public release via the Mod Browser and as it was extracting the files, the game froze on me. Tried it again and repeated the issue.

Thought I'd bring it up just in case anyone else is experiencing the same issue. It could be me for all I know, though I did download something else and it installed just fine.

9. Thalassicus

Hmm sounds like modbuddy's packaging system had an error. I'll create a package manually and re-upload it. Never had that happen before... rather strange.

Edit: Seems like there's some sort of problem with ModBuddy's build process itself... even a package I created manually isn't installing. The mod itself is working just fine, and there's no build errors, but the folder it creates is crashing the installer. This is frustrating... and I've run out of free time today to try and find the issue. It'll have to wait until I get home from my meeting. :( :badcomp:

10. Maxii

Maxii Chieftain

Same thing just happened to me.

11. SSgtDuke

SSgtDuke Chieftain

I ran into the same problem so I just extracted the .7z manually and moved the folder into my MODS folder. Enabled in-game and works fine.

12. Thalassicus

I've uploaded a new version which should be working now, installed it myself to test! :goodjob:

The problem was --

13. SSgtDuke

SSgtDuke Chieftain

Thanks for keeping the local download up to date. For some reason I prefer to use that than the Mod Browser. :)

14. Thalassicus

Odd thing is... I uploaded v2, v3, then v4 to CivFanatics (each time replacing the previous one) but when I click download I only get v2. It's not giving me any error messages when I upload and says it edited the file successfully. I'm not really sure what's going on, but the current version should be v4 (2 and 3 had some critical bugs).

15. SSgtDuke

SSgtDuke Chieftain

I get V4 here. You might have a browser cache issue or something.

16. antdog

antdog Chieftain

Sorry about the newbie question, but how do you delete out the cache? I think I've done that, but I don't remember how.

17. Txurce

Txurce Deity

Go to the Cache folder, and delete the ModsDataBase file.

18. antdog

antdog Chieftain

Thal, I have a few ideas that maybe you can consider...

*Liberty-Republic Policy: Culture penalty for next policy reduced from 20% to 10% or completely eliminated.

*Nerf Ankor Wat from 75% less culture needed for border expansion to 40%. I think 75% provides too great a benefit especially when combined with Tradition-Landed Elite policy.

*Are you able to manipulate the AI so they are more likely to build walls and castles? How about making it so they are more likely to attack overseas?

*Himeji Castle- 1 free Great Engineer and 2 free engineer slots.

*Maybe you could provide a bonus each time an entire policy tree is completed. For example, a free policy given when industrial and modern era branches are completed?

19. antdog

antdog Chieftain

@Txurce Easy enough, thanks!

20. Arksa

Arksa Warlord

I get this message when I try to DL the mod:

Invalid Attachment specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator