GFC Error with a custom directory

Zaklog

Chieftain
I'm trying to get FfH2 to run on Windows Vista. I previously had it going with no problem on a different XP machine. After having some problems even getting BtS to work properly, I ended up following these instructions to get everything together. I now have BtS working, but when I try to load FfH2, I get an error which says:

"GFC Error: failed to initialize primary control theme".

I think I saw someone else here talking about this and saying it's because it can't find the files where they're usually installed. So how can I tell it the correct place to look? Please tell me I don't have to uninstall it and start over again. I've done that a total of three times now. It's getting old.

From Kael's original post in the FfH2 Bug Thread:

1. "GFC error: failed to initialaize the primary control theme" error loading the mod. You will recieve this error if FfH isn't installed in the correct location (under Program Files\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword\Mods). If you don't have Civ4 installed to that location just make sure the FfH is installed in the same directory as Final Frontier, Age of Ice and the other mods that came with BtS. Also make sure you have installed the full mod and not just the patch.

Hope that works for you.

I'm not sure if this would make a difference, but FfH 2.023 and the patch apparently installed into two separate folders. They're in the same folder as the other BtS mods, though, which, according to that advice, means they should be working. Any other suggestions?

FfH 2.023 is the last version for vanilla Civ 4, don't bother with that at this point. If that's what you downloaded and installed, that might be the problem.

What you want is the final BtS version, FfH II 0.41, which can be downloaded from the first post in the FfH2 Bug Thread. I think it's an "exe" file, so you'll have to save it first and then run it to install.

After installing 2.041, then install the last patch, patch "o," also in the first post of the bug thread.

Just to make sure I got this right, I install 2.041 and then install the o patch over that? I saw people talking about O, and I assumed that was what updated to 2.041. So is it possible that my problems stem from attempting to run 2.023? (This makes it clear why attempting to run from the mod labeled simply Fall from Heaven 2 failed so completely. I was running just the patch.)

I was looking at the downloads page and I understand now why I downloaded the wrong one. I'm not sure if this is just me or if this would be a common misunderstanding, though.

So, I suppose I'll try 2.041 and see what happens. If it works, I'll be sure to mention it here. Thanks.

Just to make sure I got this right, I install 2.041 and then install the o patch over that? I saw people talking about O, and I assumed that was what updated to 2.041. So is it possible that my problems stem from attempting to run 2.023? (This makes it clear why attempting to run from the mod labeled simply Fall from Heaven 2 failed so completely. I was running just the patch.)

I was looking at the downloads page and I understand now why I downloaded the wrong one. I'm not sure if this is just me or if this would be a common misunderstanding, though.

So, I suppose I'll try 2.041 and see what happens. If it works, I'll be sure to mention it here. Thanks.

Yes, download and install 2.041, and then patch o after that.

You're probably right that your problems stemmed from trying to run 2.023.

Good luck!

D'Oh! Yes, I had been attempting to run the mod for regular Civ 4 through BtS. As soon as I installed 2.041, everything started running smoothly. Chalk one up to Zaklog the Doofus.

Correction, everything started running. I'm trying to play a LAN game with a friend, and we can't get the computers to recognize one another. I went back to check BtS, and we can still see each other on a LAN there. What do I do now?

And thank you, Nor'easter, for your help.

Can't help you with the LAN stuff, sorry, I don't play multiplayer. You can probably search these forums for a thread that addresses MP issues on a LAN.

Top Bottom