Giant Multiplayer Robot Unofficial League

you'll probably need to do a ctl - F5 to refresh the picture.. as my screen does show Ancient

EDIT: ohh - screen shot 4 shows Medieval still.. ok.. i'll fix that

I am not on "loose footing" at all. It has already been proven that being amazing at chess has nothing to do with intelligence. It has only to do with the amount of time spent playing. Intelligence only allows people to learn chess more quickly and grasp it more quickly than others. However, when you get to a certain point intelligence no longer plays a role and experience trumps all.

I'm arriving a little late to the party, but that isn't entirely correct. Intelligence accounts for a statistically significant portion of the variance in chess performance after controlling for experience.

Here are some citations:
http://scholar.google.com/scholar?hl=en&q=Does+chess+need+intelligence%3F--A+study+with+young+chess+players.&btnG=&as_sdt=1%2C14&as_sdtp=

http://www.ulib.niu.edu:2222/science/article/pii/S0361923006000530?np=y

It is also known that intelligent people often choose faster thinking games. Obviously due to the fact that they can think faster than your average person. They don't need time to sit around and ponder things. They figure out what to do quickly because they are smart.

I had a quick look through the academic databases I have access using most combinations of the keywords Intelligence, Cognitive ability, Games, Genre, Choice and Preference and didn't find anything with those conclusions. That doesn't mean it doesn't exist, but I didn't find it. It's a really interesting conclusion and I'd really like to see the source.

I'm also fairly hesitant to equate fast performance in games with intelligence. Pattern recognition isn't the same thing as intelligence, and as you argue earlier, pattern recognition is likely heavily related to experience.

I guarantee that having to take faster turns in chess would result in the grand master slaughtering you even worse because the shorter turn time would have little effect on his decisions but you would be unable to figure out the optimal move in a short period of time. The same applies for Civ. The highly skilled players will perform well at a fast pace and lower skilled players will catch up to them at a slower pace due to having ample time to figure out the best move to make. While the skilled players know the best move to make quicker, they play practically on autopilot unless some really rare/novel/unique decision comes up.

I had a look at a study talking about blitz vs non-blitz chess and found a piece suggesting an interaction between skill and time on performance. Basically, at lower levels of skill limiting the time available actually equalized performance, but this effect lessened as skill got higher. So, at very high levels of skill, time played a less powerful role in predicting performance.

He also found that "..up to 81% of the performance variance in nonblitz chess was shared with blitz chess (Burns, 2007, p.446). The piece isn't addressing intelligence, but it is suggesting that "fast processes" such as recognition explain a large amount of the variability in chess ability both in blitz and non-blitz chess.

http://pss.sagepub.com/content/15/7/442.short

But, again, that doesn't allow conclusions about intelligence. Consistent with these findings, you could have low intelligence players who were good at pattern recognition excelling at both Civ5 (a "slow game) and SC2 ( a "fast" game).

Cross posted to League sub forum on the Official Temporary GMR forum.

I'm keen to start a game or 2 in the league, but I'm unable to start the actual games due to not having all the DLC required to load the initial save file.
Out of the DLC required, I only have BNW, G&K, Conquest Deluxe and Mongolia. I hope to pick up all the others eventually, most likely the next time they go on sale.

First, I'd like to find a player or 2 to challenge. Preferably other newbies to the League, but I'm not sure how likely that would be.
Once I get into it a bit more, I will likely upgrade to 10/unlimited games, so then obviously I will be able to accept/issue more challenges.

Second, I'm wondering how often the DLC Civs actually get used, and if there would be any chance of getting a theme with minimal/no DLC other than G&K/BNW, or at least have the save file with no DLC enabled, so then anyone would be able to host the games, and enable DLC as required.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, Theme 1 or 7 is fine with me.

How does GMR work? I have tried to join a game and even play but havent been able yet..

How does GMR work? I have tried to join a game and even play but havent been able yet..

Also,

How do I join a game?

Once you're authenticated with GMR you can easily join most public games by going to their detail page and clicking on the 'Join' button. This will then prompt you to select the civ you wish to play as and add you to the game. Alternatively someone might invite you to join a private game, this will create a notification on the GMR website and send you an email containing a link to the game to be joined. Note that some 'In-Progress' public games are set to 'invite only', meaning you can't automatically join them but instead must post a comment on the game stating your interest and have the game's host send you an invite.

How do I submit a turn?

You can submit your turn one of two ways, using the GMR desktop client, or through the website on the game's detail page.

For more details,

GMR Website

It is still on :)

We (new team of volunteers to admin the League) are in the process of creating a new GMR League site and also changing the score calculations to be based on an ELO rating system per Theme.

Hello all,

Our Unofficial GMR League site is updated (thanks to the new admin team, Atlan, Gak, Hoagie, Rillithain, Ulr!k3, but most of the credit goes to Gak as he has pretty much created a new site from scratch) and have many new features like creating challenges, messaging, ELO scores etc. Check it out:

https://civilizationleague.org/

Top Bottom