[GS] Global Warming is too powerful

ltccone

Prince
Global warming happens too fast, too soon. It just doesn't pay to build factories and power them will coal. But you can't stop the AI from doing it, so I guess you just have to resign that low places are just going to flood.

I actually wouldn't mind seeing the actual effects of Global Warming to be stronger. More tiles flloded, so that it really is something you have to work against.

But I will definitely agree that the rate at which it occurs is way too fast. Once it starts it really feels "wait, we just hit the previous level and already we're on to the next one?!".

So yeah, I would love for it to be slowed down but have it feel much more catastrophic once you finally do hit the final levels.

I did a couple of "AI only" games yesterday, just to see how the AI was playing GS: I must say that in both those games, the global warming rate was quite moderate. It didn't start to become bad until late atomic era and information era. I have played two games (besides the AI only thing) and in my first game the world was gone quickly and that was probably my fault. In my second game I actually try to think about how I played. I still built coal power plants, but not in every city (since I have learned that I don't have to) and the really bad effects of global warming kicked in fairly late. Sure, there will be "bad guys" among the AI from game to game, but it seems that the AI play this well, perhaps better than the human does. I must also say here that in all four of these games, not all of the civs entered the industrial era at the same time, only roughly half was on par with the global era. In games where all the civs go into the industrial era at the same time, can certainly speed up global warming.

I feel a minimum interval of say 15 turns between each sea level increase needs to be implemented.

Yes. There we no way i could prevent it. I was doing fourth or fifth part of global CO2 and i get levels rising at rate of 7 turns. There were no time to even research flood barriers. And i built just 3 coal powerplants.

It is too fast, but it certainly not powerful, at least at the default disater strength. In my game the Australia was the main contributor to the global warming. Most of Australia's cities are on the coast and I expected it to drown but no - no major damage was inflicted.

I finished a game as the Maori on an archipelago map. On that map, it's effects were large...even though I didn't build any type of power plants whatsoever.

I found that the number of coastal lowlands is pretty small. The increase in things like tornadoes and dust storms has much more impact if you control a decent chunk of turf.
Droughts in particular seem to be nonexistent once you have aqueducts - i wonder if unlike how floods happen with dams, AQs prevent drought spawn?

I do feel the bucket size for next level of warming is too small for how long they seem to intend the game be played - the AI loves coal plants and as soon as they get those up (and military units) in any number, the climate is hosed. I was also surprised how big uranium based emissions from 1 GDR standing around for a few turns was.
Flood barriers are also very expensive, which is fine, but you have to plan ahead since theres no chance to build them in small cities.

Side note: I had a snow oil well get fully submerged, and I was able to go back and build an offshore platform! Drill baby drill

You have very little control over it so you have to plan for the worst. It does annoy me that the AI always seem to vote for banning oil instead of coal plants...

Flood barriers are also very expensive, which is fine, but you have to plan ahead since theres no chance to build them in small cities.

You pretty much have to industrialize to be able to get the barriers up fast enough...

Coal plants are freaking amazing. You can stack them with Craftsmen/5-year Plan for the double-double adjacency bonus of your Industrial Districts. A 4 production adjacency district can become 16 with a coal plant and the policy card.

I agree flooding happens way too quick, there needs to be a bigger delay between flooding events, and there needs to be much bigger punishment for inland cities as well. My last game was as a inland based America, building like 6-7 coal plants, and I never experienced any major effects from climate change.

How does converting to renewables work? If you have enough power from your windmills your coal plant stops burning coal? I never found an option to switch off the coal plants, just to convert them, but I needed the oil and uranium for military. Both were super rare in my game. I even had to invade France for 1 of the 2 uranium sources I found on the entire map (and 2 oil deposits, I had 1).

Last edited:
I found that the number of coastal lowlands is pretty small. The increase in things like tornadoes and dust storms has much more impact if you control a decent chunk of turf.
Droughts in particular seem to be nonexistent once you have aqueducts - i wonder if unlike how floods happen with dams, AQs prevent drought spawn?

I do feel the bucket size for next level of warming is too small for how long they seem to intend the game be played - the AI loves coal plants and as soon as they get those up (and military units) in any number, the climate is hosed. I was also surprised how big uranium based emissions from 1 GDR standing around for a few turns was.

Side note: I had a snow oil well get fully submerged, and I was able to go back and build an offshore platform! Drill baby drill
GDR has emissions? That means that other units have them?

And does polar ice can comletely melt? I have 85% max. And temperature rised up 8 degrees. And continues still. It will be a real greenhouse, and without any consequences. There is a rising chance of disasters, but it's still negligible.

Coal plants are freaking amazing. You can stack them with Craftsmen/5-year Plan for the double-double adjacency bonus of your Industrial Districts. A 4 production adjacency district can become 16 with a coal plant and the policy card.
Just wait until you play Germany, mate...
Normal Civ: 24
Dutch: 32
Glorious Fatherland: 60
If you run a modern era or later dark age you can slot the collectivism card which among other things, gives yet another +100% IZ adj, so Germany can technically get all the way to 90 off of one uber district.

GDR has emissions? That means that other units have them?
All the units that need fuel create emissions at what looks to be a similar rate to burning the resource for power.
So simply having an Infantry unit is the same as burning 1 oil to produce power.
Likewise, a GDR is equivalent to a Nuke Plant generating 36 power because its a constant 3 uranium used per turn. I had full coal plants all game (never built the others) and by the end I could see oil and uranium were making a decent representation in lifetime emissions.

How does converting to renewables work? If you have enough power from your windmills your coal plant stops burning coal? I never found an option to switch off the coal plants, just to convert them, but I needed the oil and uranium for military.

Agree, the option to decommission the plant completely is missing. I think it does say that it burns coal in relation to how much is needed so maybe it does shut off with enough alternative sources. Will have to check in game later.

Agree, the option to decommission the plant completely is missing. I think it does say that it burns coal in relation to how much is needed so maybe it does shut off with enough alternative sources. Will have to check in game later.
Just checked my inca save.
Renewable sources/Synth Technocracy bonus are "fixed" and apply before power plant generation. Most of my cities were running free of coal use except 3 inland cities with no hydro capacity.
My coal plants still give their production bonuses, but only one of them is burning any coal (that single plant is supplying the 3 cities.)
It also looks like +range bonus like Mexico city applies to both the power plant production aura and the radius in which they can generate power for cities. One might be tempted to use Nikola Tesla to boost a nuke plant, for example. The only thing I would warn is: it looks like the generation starts from the top of your city list. In most cases this means your capital will generate for everything in range, then the next city down the line will generate for whats left, etc. I'm not sure if Nuke>Oil>coal in generation priority, someone may want to check that.

But RE global warming, you can still build all the coal plants you like and simply sell your coal if you don't want them to pollute.

Just checked my inca save.
Renewable sources/Synth Technocracy bonus are "fixed" and apply before power plant generation. Most of my cities were running free of coal use except 3 inland cities with no hydro capacity.
My coal plants still give their production bonuses, but only one of them is burning any coal (that single plant is supplying the 3 cities.)
It also looks like +range bonus like Mexico city applies to both the power plant production aura and the radius in which they can generate power for cities. One might be tempted to use Nikola Tesla to boost a nuke plant, for example. The only thing I would warn is: it looks like the generation starts from the top of your city list. In most cases this means your capital will generate for everything in range, then the next city down the line will generate for whats left, etc. I'm not sure if Nuke>Oil>coal in generation priority, someone may want to check that.

But RE global warming, you can still build all the coal plants you like and simply sell your coal if you don't want them to pollute.

So that means you can keep the insane production bonus of coal plants, even if not burning coal? That seems kinda stupid.

Another thing I really dislike, is how I can build powerplants before discovering electricity???
Before electricity the plant is making steam power? I feel like generally steam power's role in industrialization has been kind of ignored.

Also, no option for electric train lines later? More importantly, why are all my traders looking like little trucks driving on railway??? They should be converted to little trains!

It would also be nice if pollution was visible on the map. Have the landscape be covered in smoke and soot by the middle of the industrial era, and add some techs that lower CO2 emissions and pollution (filters, chemical capture).

Last edited:
Top Bottom