Goals & Years

dafiden

First Founder
How does one tell which year the game is in to determine the status of a civ's goal completion?

For example, Egypt has to have 500 culture points by 700 BC. But, I can't find the year I am in to guage how much time I have left to gain more culture.

You can't see the years until you discovered Calendar.
I still would like to return to the old year system. I see no reason for hiding the years. It is just disturbing and forces me to discover Calendar as soon as possible.

Best way would be option between years and eras.

I'm sure that Elhoim is on his way to tell: "Yeah, eras ROCK!!:band: "

Hehe. Don't take it seriously, Elhoim.

I'd vote either for bringing the years back (Calender lies too much back in the tech tree, otherwise it would make sense, but like that). It would give again a more historic feeling to the game (in opposition to a more "authentic" gameplay?)

Or otherwise a counter for the historical victories...

mitsho

Surtur, thanks for the explanation.

I agree some sort of option would be nice especially considering that many of the goals include a deadline year. Maybe a hotkey could do it, or maybe you could click on the era and have the year momentarily appear.

Edit: Oh yeah, a counter to historical victories' deadlines would also be nice.

Hitti-Litti said:
Best way would be option between years and eras.

I'm sure that Elhoim is on his way to tell: "Yeah, eras ROCK!!:band: "

Hehe. Don't take it seriously, Elhoim.

Woohooo!! I´m famous! :p :D

Yeah, it´s kinda contradictory now to have the historical victories with years and not having the years...

I still long for an option to turn it on/off on user preference, but chances that will happen are very dim...

Why not change the victory condition? Maybe it could be something like "X culture before you enter the ______ era." In this case, it would presumably be the Medieval era. Oddly, Calendar is a Medieval tech. But anyway. Obviously, you could turn off research to avoid moving forward in tech, so an alternative could be to get the culture before ANY civ enters the Medieval era.

It's enough to say "before turn x" instead of "before year y". But I think that the turn number should be shown in the mean window

Holy King's idea sounds the easiest, but just a thought here:

Shouldn't civs that build the Pyramids and/or Stonehenge be able to view the year as well? I'm sure that's rediculously complicated to code, so it's probably not worth it, but it's just a thought.

v1.42 solves this problem:
Added turn number to early victory goals description

Top Bottom