Gods Rising

thomas.berubeg

Wandering the World
Well... we've got all these gods falling...

what god, do you think, would be most likely to rise...

I, myself, would like to think that Bhall would be able to rise again (if only because she didn't destroy Archangel)

From likeliest to least likely:

Bhall - She spared her archangel, and is the goddess of rapid change; why not both ways?
Mulcarn/Auric - Though the events of a certain scenario tempt me to put him lower, he's still the least evil of the evil gods.
Esus - He seems to have a fondness for creation, and might be convinced to at least go neutral.
Aeron - Though quite evil, he seems to have it pretty well together, and much of his old sphere remains, if it could be brought out.
Camulos - He's a vicious god, pretty well consumed by animalistic fury.
Mammon - Though he has a fondness for creation like his close ally Esus, Mammon is much more casually sadistic.
Agares - Do I really have to explain this? Well, beyond why he's above Ceridwen (see below).
Ceridwen - While she and Agares are both omnicidal maniacs... actually, if you've played Super Paper Mario, the comparison is simple:
Spoiler :
Ceridwen is to Agares what Dimentio is to Count Bleck.

If not... basically, Agares is on a cosmic temper tantrum, but if he could be made to mellow out and realize that if he'd have listened to the One, he'd have been better off, it might be possible to redeem him. Ceridwen's reasons for turning Erebus into ashes aren't as well defined, but I suspect they'll be followed up with a course of deicide against the One himself, possibly followed by remaking the universe in her image. Or just using the energy released by blowing Erebus to smithereens to traverse the multiverse. I hear Sigil is nice this time of year.

Hyborem isn't a god, and I don't see him as particularly easy to convert.

Bhall might repent, but I doubt it. More than that, I doubt that she would deem herself worthy of remaining a goddess if she turned away from evil. I could see her stepping down and giving Brigit her precept, but that still isn't likely.

Mulcarn was the least evil god and would have been the most likely to repent. His sphere hadn't rely even been corrupted, it just made him long for the time before The One changed things by taking away the Power of Creation. He could have grow to long for the time before the conflict began, and changed sides. He would probably have just become neutral though, not actually Good. If humanity had valued him this would have been fairly likely, but their love of Bhall drove him away. Since he was killed by the Godslayer, there is no longer hope for him repenting. (Well, I suppose he may have an immortal soul found outside of creation which could make peace with The One, but his repentance would have no effect on Creation itself.) I used to think that Auric was literally his reincarnation and could become a great force for good if he gave up his attempt to become a god, but since then Kael has revealed that Mulcarn is really dead and Auric is but a farm boy whose affinity for magic led the sphere to be drawn to him. The deeds necessary for a mortal to become a god are dark, and would drive any other mortal who tried to take up this mantle to become even more evil than Mulcarn was. I suppose an archangel could take it up without any such evil deeds, but I'm not sure who would. Taranis was slain, as was Cassiel (who would never seek godhood anyway). Brigit is still strongly opposed to his sphere, so it wouldn't be her. I guess it would have to be an archangel of a sphere close to Ice, either Water of Death. Condatis is probably too gentle for job, and to loyal to her sleeping god. I could not see Gyra abandoning Arawn either, but if she failed to stop Laroth from usurping his throne and yet survived she might switch spheres. The desire to overthrow Laroth and restore Arawn (assuming the god lost his godhood without being completely destroyed) could move her closer to the reactionary sphere. The only Archangel that we know wants godhood is Basium, who was furious that Sucellus was given the precept of life which he thought he deserved. Now that I think of it, his severity, his dislike for the Mulcarn's old enemy, and his desire to go back to fighting demons like in the godswar make him fit the sphere fairly well. Basium's ascension is probably the only way this sphere would become Good again.

I really cannot picture Mammon, Camulos, Aeron, or especially Ceridwen repenting. I actually think that Agares is actually the most likely to repent now, although that is still extremely unlikely. I think that his connection to Sirona could draw him back, but probably not unless Ceridwen could first be taken out of the picture. That would probably require using the Godslayer on the Mistress of Pain. Agares could be convinced to hope for an end to the hostilities he started, or to despair and give up his godhood. He does still highly respect Nemed, and with Sirona's urging might follow him i giving up his godhood. (I still think that an evil god repenting without giving up his precept is pretty much impossible. I also think that The One wants all the gods to be free of their precepts, and that the surest way to bring about the age of enlightenment is for the gods to all loose their precept, preferably willingly but by force if needed.) I suppose that Agares might be able to get Mammon, Camulos, and Aeron to give up their spheres after he repents, but only if Sirona manages to get the good gods to sacrifice their precepts too. This is extremely unlikely, and until Ceridwen is vanquished it would be impossible as her sphere makes all the gods see their position and power as gods as their identity instead of valuing their divine spark.

(My end-game scenario for the best possible future: Os-Gabella finds out that death actually is possible for her, but not until she fulfills her purpose. She resists for ages, but eventually gives in. She almost dies in labor, but decides she would rather live to raise her son and fights through the pain anyway. Ceridwen is furious over this betrayal, and intervenes in Creation--only to fall to the Godslayer, in Gabella hands. All the gods are shaken by this, as the nature of their connections to their spheres changes somehow, in a way no one understands. Natosuelta's sphere becomes stronger so the gods begin to value their divine sparks more than their precepts, on a subconscious level. In his grief over losing Ceridwen, Agares finally allows Sirona to comfort him. She convinces him to repent, and the effects of despair make her see no point in continuing her godhood. The godswar begins anew (this time with no clear battle lines between sides), but Nemed, Sirona, and Agares join the Luonnatar and convince all the leaders of all intelligent races to stay out of it. Many die as angels and demons with no master do battle with mortals who wish to be gods. The other gods are weakened and confused by this, but rage on. Dagda decides to call for another Compact, but this time listens to the complaints that the late Cassiel had made earlier. The former gods and the heads of the Luonnatar find the meeting place, and eventually convince all the gods to give up their precepts. (If Basium has become God of Ice, he might hold out and possibly have to be slain. Laroth might hold out too, but would be no match for the original gods.) After all the gods have given up their spheres, the True Heaven opens and The One descends, with Mulcarn (now human) at his side. )

I like the idea of Sirona redeeming Agares, though that may be the eternal optimist within me...

While suggesting that Agares could be redeemed by Sirona lends further credence to my above analogy, this is Erebus we're talking about. Taking on all those responsibilities, providing trust, hope and peace, as well as the duties of her own sphere, can't be good for Sirona's sanity. I can see Agares, probably with Ceridwen's help (since she's the one who's supposed to be in charge of those sorts of inter-personal connections), dragging Sirona down into the deepest pits of despair when she has a moment of weakness.
EDIT: I can't imagine Ceridwen entering creation either. She didn't do anything of the sort when her last lackey, Kylorin betrayed her, IIRC. Gabella's betrayal would cost her an even more valuable piece, but one does not traditionally risk the king to save the queen. She'd have to rely on Tebryn Arbandi and the who-knows-how-many fools who pledged service too her, wittingly or not, and her first move might indeed involve taking back or exterminating Gabella, but certainly not personally.
EDIT 2: Really, I suppose there's hope for Agares, but it's a matter of who snaps first: Ceridwen or Sirona. Frankly, I know where I'm putting my money. Ten gold and a rat skull on Sirona falling.

Possibly. I can't picture Sirona ever turning evil (although Junil thinks she is on that path), but I can picture her being overwhelmed and incapacitated. I was actually thinking that it was this despair though that would make her give up her precept, not the realization that it was what The One wanted. There is the possibility that she wouldn't find this way out of the stresses she is under, or that she would give up her precept before convincing anyone else to do the same. In a world without Sirona, I could see Temeluchus coming to power. (Laroth might have an opening to take on the sphere of Spirit, possibly in addition to the sphere of death. Laroth set up his temple to his made up god at the site of a shrine of Arawn, using Spirit magic, and the persona of this false god seems to be a sort of amalgamation of the two spheres. The archmage may well loose his identity if he becomes a god, and a personality like that he made up ages ago could become dominant.)

Edit: Hmm...actually, AoI seems to say that Ceridwen did enter creation to first meet Kylorin, although she didn't really use any of her powers there. Isn't that supposed to be impossible without breaking the compact, and thought to be physically impossible altogether until Trenton's ritual was uncovered? Of course this could have just been a vision, or poetic license of Kylorin's part. I'm not sure Ceridwen would act this way either, but she is unusual among the gods in that in the pedia at least she does everything herself rather than leave it up to her angels.

Temeluchus?
Yeah. From the Random Stories and Fragments thread, in response to a bit I wrote about Laroth:
For KillerClowns,

The Cult of Temeluchus

Spoiler :
“The priests of Sirona tell you to show compassion, to give to those that are suffering. But Temeluchus requires more devotion than that. We cannot appease our guilt by dropping a few coins into a beggar’s cup and then return to our own lavish homes. To truly share the burden we must suffer as the least among us. We must become as poor as the beggar, as weak as the sick, and as helpless as our own prisoners.

How can you fear suffering when there are those just outside your door that do it every day? It is better for you to bleed with them than to live above them!”

The crowd cheered. They were a mix of voluntary poor and the normal Patrian lower class, those that had attended before and those hearing the message for the first time. Some of the devout began to break open rough sores along their arms, allowing their blood to flow down onto their hands. Most had done it so many times that their forearms were stained brown.

Laroth was still disgusted by that part of the religion, but compared to the trials of physical pain giving a few more gold coins seems a small loss. The man who isn’t willing to sacrifice his blood gives more gold in guilty compensation, and the man willing to destroy his own flesh will give everything he owns without thought.

As they had many times before the crowd quickly filled Laroth’s donation plates. Laroth stayed after, talking to the fanatical that regaled him with increasingly horrific stories of their own self-mutilation. Laroth made no comment to his own suffering, though most supposed it was great and they enviously eyed the dark stains that slipped from his robe and covered up both of his hands. Though they had no idea it was only the stains from a daily wash of beet juice. There was no reason to make sacrifices to a god Laroth made up himself.

When the crowd was finally gone there were only two left in the small shrine to Temeluchus, a man in a deep green cloak, and an odd boy sitting beside him who wore a pumpkin colored shirt. The boy was thin, awkward and unwilling to meet Laroth’s gaze when he looked at him. The man was powerfully built, and his clothes were richly detailed. Laroth was surprised he didn’t notice him during the sermon, as he had a talent for noticing wealthy listeners, though Laroth sensed a greater power in him than just his wealth.

The richly appointed man lowered the hood of his cloak to reveal his face. It was an easy one to recognize as it was on statues all across Patria. It was the Patrian king, Kylorin.

“My king,” Laroth stammered “I am honored that you would grace this small temple of Temeluchus.”

“The honor is mine, you are a powerful speaker and I found your sermon inspirational.” He answered. Then after a pause he added, “Wasn’t this a shrine to Arawn a few weeks ago?”

Laroth pretended to think as Kylorin rose and walked up to the front. The boy followed in his shadow.

“Yes, I believe it was. Though why the fine citizens of Patria would want to throw gold into graves is beyond me. I think the priest was just keeping the donations for himself.”

“Indeed.” Kylorin said with a smile.

Laroth suddenly remembered he was talking to the king and added a quick, “yes, I mean, of course your majesty.” And then gave a slight bow.

The boy scoffed, rolling his eyes at the genuflecting preacher.

Laroth raised his head to smile at the boy, that smile that had won over so many. Laroth wasn’t an attractive man, he was spindly and bookish even in his late twenties. But men and women alike couldn’t help but feel calm and comforted by his presence.

But that was not how the boy reacted. The boy became enraged and leapt at Laroth. Laroth was so surprised that stepped back and tripped over the short railing around the altar sending both of them tumbling down in a clumsy pile of knees and elbows.

“You’re a donkey, you’re a donkey,” the boy yelled irrationally.

In the confusion those words were all that Laroth could hear, feel or see. The world melted away until that was the only concept left in it. Laroth brayed loudly at the attacking boy, then rolling over onto all fours he began kicking wildly. His second kick caught the boy in the stomach and knocked him back over the railing where Kylorin caught him.

“Henri! Stop it!” the king yelled.

The delusion of being a donkey disappeared and Laroth found himself hunched on all fours by the altar. He hadn’t been physically changed, but for those few seconds he truly believed he was a donkey. Embarrassed he picked himself up.

“That boy, he did something to me!” Laroth said.

Henri smiled, though his ribs still hurt he really enjoyed the sight of the braying and bucking preacher.

“Perhaps,” Kylorin said. “Though it could be said that you attacked him first.”

Laroth didn’t comment.

Kylorin continued, “You convert a lot of people to your god. Many disciples go out and try to spread the message you have given them. They repeat your sermons but few convert to them. And after you leave a town the faithful always drift off and forget your message. Men so devoted that some punish themselves to the point of death gradually turn back to normal lives. Have you ever wondered why?”

Laroth winced when Kylorin mentioned the deaths. It was unfortunate that some took the message to far. Especially those that were closest to him, the longer he stayed in one area the more likely the fanatical deaths were. That was why he moved from city to city every few months.

“I assume that I am blessed by Temeluchus. That I am the one he has chosen to spread his message.”

The boy scoffed again. Kylorin had stopped smiling.

“That cannot be,” Kylorin said, “because Temeluchus isn’t real. You made him up. So then why do people so eagerly convert to your message, and ignore it from others?”

“Temeluchus is a great god, during the godswar he…” Laroth started, ready to defend his god as he did many times to visiting priests and fanatics of other religions.

Kylorin interrupted, “Your son, didn’t he serve as an acolyte in your services?”

Laroth felt his passionate defense melt away, he only nodded to the question.

“He was young,” Kylorin said “11 or 12 years old. You were training him in your craft, teaching him to evangelize as you do. You had even told him the truth, that there was no Temeluchus, so that he wouldn’t be in danger. What happened to his mother?”

Laroth looked at the ground, unwilling to meet the kings eyes. “She was one of my first converts, I was really little more than a boy myself at the time. She died in worship to Temeluchus.”

“So you raised your son on your own until he was old enough to work for you. He must have heard hundreds of sermons. But you thought that if he knew the truth, he would be safe. But even though you told him the truth, even though he saw you pocket the donations every night, even though he listened to you laugh at the gullible worshippers that came to your sermons, he still believed. And in secret he was worshipping Temeluchus. But you didn’t know until you found him dead.”

Laroth broke down, dropping his head into his hands he sobbed and his sorrow flooded out of him, through the shrine and out into the city. Henri was also overcome and started crying as did many within blocks of the temple.

Kylorin braced himself. He was guarded from the energy Laroth was radiating but even he hadn’t expected how unintentionally powerful the preacher was. Kylorin knew Laroth had an amazing talent for spirit magic, that he would make a powerful archmage, but he hadn’t expected it to flow so easily from the bookish preacher. Even through Kylorin’s protections he felt the grip of his own sadness, though he quickly pushed it away.

Kylorin placed a hand on Henri’s shoulder, breaking the spell and the boy recovered from his sobs. Though angry, Henri was too exhausted by the flood of emotion and simply sat down in the front pew.

In a few minutes Laroth regained his composure.

“Why did you keep preaching after your son’s death?” Kylorin asked, unwilling to let the painful subject go.

“I stopped for a while,” Laroth answered, wiping off his face with the sleeve of his robe. “But I’m not suited to be a farmer or cobbler. It’s really all I do well. What else do I have to lose?”

Kylorin and Laroth talked for the rest of the night. Kylorin explained magic, explained Laroth’s power and offered him the opportunity to learn to control it. By morning the shrine was empty, though it would quickly be adopted by some random cult or religion, the worship of Temeluchus was over.
Short version: Temeluchus was a fake god Laroth made up while a conman, who demanded his followers donate vastly to his preachers (I.E. Laroth) and mutilate themselves.

Ah, I remember that... just forgotten the name.

Interesting. Magister, you claim Junil beleives Sirona is on the path to evil? because she beleives they can be redeemed?

what would the god's reactions be to a god rising?

EDIT 2: Really, I suppose there's hope for Agares, but it's a matter of who snaps first: Ceridwen or Sirona. Frankly, I know where I'm putting my money. Ten gold and a rat skull on Sirona falling.

ONly someone ho bought in to Junil's propaganda would say such a thing...

Interesting. Magister, you claim Junil beleives Sirona is on the path to evil? because she beleives they can be redeemed?

what would the god's reactions be to a god rising?

Most of the good gods don't have a whole lot of respect for Sirona. They see her as a kind little sister whose quaint little opinions aren't really worth their time.

Junil knows she is not evil yet, but he does not think it is wise to allow sinners back into the fold so easily. He tends to think that Lugus is much too leniant too, but at east the god of light carefully tests those he leads to repentance, and when he points out the sins that need addressing he does so in a less than pleasant way which could be considered punishment and would certainly lead to contrition. I tend to think that Lugus fits in right between Junil and Sirona, and that without him these 2 gods would constantly come into conflict.

Spoiler :
Disciple of The Order pedia entry said:
The aspiring acolyte was taken to the roof of the basilica or temple, alone with the ranking Confessor. It was a ritual, but one the acolyte had never before observed, and so also a test. Below them lies the city, with its teeming inhabitants. Merchants, soldiers, farmers, laborers, nobles, each on his own task.

"Look out, my son," commands the confessor, "and tell me what you see."

"Order," replies the young acolyte calmly.

The confessor smiles. "How do you see order here? Each man follows his own will."

"Order is brought by the law. As we follow the code of Junil, we are able to cooperate with one another, bringing about the ultimate expression of order, civilization. Each man's works contribute to the greater good without him knowing it, so long as those who harbor ill will are constrained by the law."

"What is the greatest temptation of the faithful of Junil?"

"Mercy."

"Why?"

"The children of mercy are redemption and injustice. To show mercy to the murderer is to show contempt for the slain, and to grant mercy to the thief is to impoverish his victims. The redemption of a foe is the greatest achievement, but by forgiveness without contrition one is only allowing future suffering. The brother who grants mercy to all sees compassion as his strength; in truth pride is his weakness and the seeds of future misery are sown in the community. Thus mercy must remain the discretion of the gods."

"And so what is your greatest calling?"

"Obedience. Unquestioning Obedience." This exchange complete, the acolyte will be bathed and blessed, a full member of the Order.

From chapter 2 of Reflections on the State Cults, by Elder Methyl of the Luonnatar.

Junil opposes anyone associating with evil. Getting near the evil ones is willingly placing oneself in a position to be tempted, and those who choose to be tempted do so because of a secret desire to give in to said tempations. Junil's idea of when a sin begins is much sooner than most gods'. That is why Sabathiel cannot enter Creation while every other archangel can, because while simply being there is not breaking the compact it puts one in a position where one would be tempted to intervene in ways that would.

Junil knows that Sirona means well, but she is much too willing to reach out to those who would drag her down, and the road to hell is paved with good intentions.

As Junil is the eldest god and Sirona is portays as one of the youngest, I sometimes picture the relationship between Junil and Sirona as that between a stern father and a teenage daughter with a boyfriend who is a "bad bay" (Agares) that she thinks she can fix. They actually have a great love for each other, but he considers himself far wiser than her and doesn't respect her ability to make decisons for herself so they don't typically get along. To extend the similie, he may think of Bhall as Sirona's older sister who has already thrown her life away for that same bad influence.

Sirona would welcome an evil god back with open arms, without hesitation, after going out of her way to try to win him over with kindness. Lugus would welcome him back, but do so cautiously, carefully observing and testing the repenentant one to make sure the repentance was real, after trying to win him back by pointing out all the ways in which he had been wrong. Junil would probably never believe the god had really repented, would never really trust him, and would possibly even continue to fight the repentant god (although he could probbly be convinced to focus his efforts elsewhere). Nantosuelta would likely take an approach similar to Lugus's (but probably not go out of her way to seek to redeem him), as she welcomed Kylorin when he repented. Sucellus would likely do the same, as his new sphere makes him essentially be the God of Second Chances. There is really nothing to base Amathaon's reaction on. Basium would likely be as untrusting of the repentant as Junil.

You're speaking about Cassiel dying and so. Are the scenarios actually what really happens? I thought they were just supposed to be stories, but not real lore.

ONly someone ho bought in to Junil's propaganda would say such a thing...
*Points to title.* I don't buy it. I make it. I should probably clarify, though: Sirona's fall is not inevitable, merely far more probable then Ceridwen being removed from the picture.

Most of the good gods don't have a whole lot of respect for Sirona. They see her as a kind little sister whose quaint little opinions aren't really worth their time.

Junil knows she is not evil yet, but he does not think it is wise to allow sinners back into the fold so easily. He tends to think that Lugus is much too leniant too, but at east the god of light carefully tests those he leads to repentance, and when he points out the sins that need addressing he does so in a less than pleasant way which could be considered punishment and would certainly lead to contrition. I tend to think that Lugus fits in right between Junil and Sirona, and that without him these 2 gods would constantly come into conflict.

Junil opposes anyone associating with evil. Getting near the evil ones is willingly placing oneself in a position to be tempted, and those who choose to be tempted do so because of a secret desire to give in to said tempations. Junil's idea of when a sin begins is much sooner than most gods'. That is why Sabathiel cannot enter Creation while every other archangel can, because while simply being there is not breaking the compact it puts one in a position where one would be tempted to intervene in ways that would.

Junil knows that Sirona means well, but she is much too willing to reach out to those who would drag her down, and the road to hell is paved with good intentions.

As Junil is the eldest god and Sirona is portays as one of the youngest, I sometimes picture the relationship between Junil and Sirona as that between a stern father and a teenage daughter with a boyfriend who is a "bad bay" (Agares) that she thinks she can fix. They actually have a great love for each other, but he considers himself far wiser than her and doesn't respect her ability to make decisons for herself so they don't typically get along. To extend the similie, he may think of Bhall as Sirona's older sister who has already thrown her life away for that same bad influence.

Sirona would welcome an evil god back with open arms, without hesitation, after going out of her way to try to win him over with kindness. Lugus would welcome him back, but do so cautiously, carefully observing and testing the repenentant one to make sure the repentance was real, after trying to win him back by pointing out all the ways in which he had been wrong. Junil would probably never believe the god had really repented, would never really trust him, and would possibly even continue to fight the repentant god (although he could probbly be convinced to focus his efforts elsewhere). Nantosuelta would likely take an approach similar to Lugus's (but probably not go out of her way to seek to redeem him), as she welcomed Kylorin when he repented. Sucellus would likely do the same, as his new sphere makes him essentially be the God of Second Chances. There is really nothing to base Amathaon's reaction on. Basium would likely be as untrusting of the repentant as Junil.

OK, I'll grant you, Lugus might be on to something there. On the other hand, I doubt Junil would actively fight a repentant god, though there'd certainly be a large metaphorical or literal border garrison involved, and a truly obnoxious "I told ya so" if things went wrong (even if he was the one who pushed the god back into evil by being a mistrusting brute). But holding Sirona's position against gods who, in at least one case, are literally the manifestations of manipulation, seems like... well, a bad idea. Borrowing your above simile, I've known of several nice girls who tried to reform bad boys, my old neighborhood having plenty. Never worked, and rarely ended well.

Esus - He seems to have a fondness for creation, and might be convinced to at least go neutral.

Re Esus, see also the end text for Svartalfar victory in the Splintered Court:

Spoiler :
Across the rest of Erebus greater lies are being told by priests, generals and kings. I closed my eyes and buried myself in the layers of manipulation, intrigue and egoism. But there was one cancerous sore on Erebus, one place devoid of the subtleties of my work. The dead lands, where walking corpses spoke their own simple truth and Tebryn Arbandi sought to end my game entirely. There is no opportunity in destruction, and as much as my wayward sister may object, I had no desire to see my kingdoms turned to ash.So I whispered into Faeryl's ear. I told her tales of desire, wealth and power and beneath a white moon the Svartalfar launched warships towards the dead lands.

You're speaking about Cassiel dying and so. Are the scenarios actually what really happens? I thought they were just supposed to be stories, but not real lore.

They occupy a somewhat undefined position, from what I've heard.

KillerClowns, I disagree with you about the relative corruptibility Sirona, and in fact believe that Sirona is probably less corruptible than Junil. This argument is somewhat reliant on my understanding on the Nature of the Spheres, that the Sphere overwhelms the holders base personality, and that for one to fall or change they have to because of a natural weakness or flaw of their Sphere. Falling by their own initiative rather than being forced to.

In the real world I would probably agree about Sirona, but she is a Erubian Goddess whom is dominated by her sphere. If she were to fall, it would probably be to the very antithesis of her sphere or to the most negative application of her sphere. That sphere being Spirit, she would probably either go Autonomy or Malice. Autonomy, where she begins a crusade against cognition and feeling, or Malice existing only with a dark will to end other wills.

Both of these are kinda sketchy, but only because Spirit has so many different meanings, its hard to find an antithesis for all its aspects. Which kinda leads credence to my argument, her sphere (and therefore her) makes it difficult for her to fall by virtue of the fact that her role is so essential. Spirit is either is present or not present, so She is either there or not there. If she were to fall she would have to disappear in order to fulfill her new role, and would have to take her sphere with her.

For her to fall it would probably have to be tragically ironic, both because the tendency of falls to take place because of the God in question follows their sphere into their own ruin, and by virtue of the fact of this being a dark fantasy. So if anyone were to cause the optimistic would-be redeemer to fall it would not be the Evil Gods, but her own allies. I think if Junil gets his way and somehow vanquishes Agares and the evil gods, rather than them being redeemed it would be too much for her to bear. Both by the now mandatory Sphere juggling Shes doing, and the despair and disillusionment at Agares's passing (I'm not going to speculate too much about the two's relationship but I think that they are more affected by each other then by others). The Dispirited Sirona now Anti-Sirona, would then disappear and take her extended roles with her. Causing Catastrophic consequences in Erebus. Spirits would diminish, hope vanish, ambition fade, peace lost, until Erebus is destroyed; not a physical death but a cognitive death as the great personalities (both good and evil) are left silent mid-sentence, reduced to mindless beasts chewing their cud.

On the other hand... Junil does seem the to be the cautious sort, but if he totally abstains from coming near the beginning stimuli that causes one to fall I believe that he will make him self ill equipped to face such temptations should they be forced upon him. Therefore I believe it would be more likely that it would be he who would fall if placed in the position. While Kael (whom I suspect would have a Lawful Good DnD alignment) has a dynamite representation of a Good God of Law, I believe his absolute adherence to Good is the key to his corruption.

While Temperance is a virtue of his, its one I don't think he applies to himself. I believe he is working for a perfect world, without Evil. In realizing that, works to remove himself from its influence. In staying away from evil, he leaves himself untested and susceptible to it. I believe some call it "the Catholic School Girl Effect", he is ignoring his Inner Daemon rather than trying to master it. So while he has set up a nigh impenetrable defense system against Evil, if someone managed to put him in a dilemma where he could not act with out breaking one of his laws, he would snap harder then a tectonic plate on Mars did when it was still Molten.

In an off-note, I believe the main cause of occultism/heresy is the Monotheistic God's representation as closer to a Junil type figure than a Sirona type figure. This of course, is only due to the biased words of the historical theocracies, but it is nontheless interesting to note.

Also it is interesting to note that most Monotheisms follow a cycle of persecution, war, power, more war, peace, fall from power. Namely, a new monotheism will be very fanatical and war-like while an old established monotheism will either be left primarily powerless or ambivalent

Top Bottom