Going Broke.

MadMage86

Warlord
So, I haven't played as much as I could have lately but I had a multiplayer game with a few buddies the other day and while I was crippled on gold income he was showing a +14 in the first 30 turns of the game, with no trade routes in place... and he claims to never use international trade routes at all.

I'm confused. I don't know of any really viable source of gold with the tile yields removed... how in the world could this possibly be pulled off? I constantly fight with gold, especially if I am going for warfare since I will be conquering the closest person to me, ie my most viable trade partner.

There are a number of ways to do it.
1. he can work luxury tiles.
2. he can build a big Capitol and get monarchy.
3. he can get lots of gold from city conections.
4. he can play China/carthage.
(you can also get a lot of gold by building 3 Warriors early on and bully cs. Upgrade them to svordsmen later on and continue getting large amounts of gold.)

Truth be told you should not trade internationally in the early game. you should use them as Food caravans. It is a lot more effcient and will in turn give you bigger cities and more gold. Technically I only ever use them as Food caravans and gold is a minor issue. Later on I just build some tradeposts per city.

I always seemed to be running out of money early on, especially for Poland. But then I discovered if you only have 2-3 cities, but some extra luxes, you can sell them off to other civs for GPT(providing that they ACTUALY have that) this helped me become more economically stable, which was good as the AI started hating later and not giving or taking any trade offers.

Truth be told you should not trade internationally in the early game. you should use them as Food caravans. It is a lot more effcient and will in turn give you bigger cities and more gold. Technically I only ever use them as Food caravans and gold is a minor issue. Later on I just build some tradeposts per city.

nothing to see here

to get 5 or 6 science Points the other players must have 12 and 10 Techs Ahead of you. if you can survive then. Well you are either Playing AI or you are looseing badly and should consider resigning.

If the AI play playing competently With such a Tech lead they should crush you With crossbows compared to Archers.
Thats up to 24% Ahead in demografics. or mostly around 15-18%.

Not to mention that the AI that you trade With can kill Your trade caravans With a simple war.

to get 5 or 6 science Points the other players must have 12 and 10 Techs Ahead of you. if you can survive then. Well you are either Playing AI or you are looseing badly and should consider resigning.

If the AI play playing competently With such a Tech lead they should crush you With crossbows compared to Archers.
Thats up to 24% Ahead in demografics. or mostly around 15-18%.

Not to mention that the AI that you trade With can kill Your trade caravans With a simple war.

move along

Knut, with respect, which difficulty are you on? I'm referring to deity here. Apologies if you are too, but I'm ALWAYS that number of techs (+4 to +5, not +6, as you said) behind in the extreme early game.

The OP was talking about multiplayer. so you will not be selling resources or getting much science or gold on early trade routes (and you risk getting TR plundered too) - (most TR go to own cities to pump growth instead) . MP is much different from SP for getting gold up.

The OP was talking about multiplayer. so you will not be selling resources or getting much science or gold on early trade routes (and you risk getting TR plundered too) - (most TR go to own cities to pump growth instead) . MP is much different from SP for getting gold up.

-facepalm-

You're both right, of course. Ignore me

Top Bottom