Going for Gold: Unit Supply

Is this item in a reasonable state of balance?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Really? Interesting. Playing Tall, I've never had an incident (and I play on Immortal) where I felt in any danger from a Warmonger in the least. Defending a Tall territory is so ridiculously easy with a few well-placed units.

Anyways, I do agree that it's excessive for Wide and would be willing to say that Wide could be less while Tall could remain the same.
Sometimes you need to intervene into a foreign country, but you miss the army to do so.

Sometimes you need to intervene into a foreign country, but you miss the army to do so.

That's the price you pay for playing Tall. I wouldn't expect a large army. A "Progress" Civ may not be warlike, but is big enough to push its weight around - but a Tall Tradition Civ is good at having a big stationary influence and not moving around so much.

I think there was this theory that a tall civ would gain enough from population that it could still field a decent army. Buildings such as walls and castles buff the population benefit partially for this reason. Its not really panning out in my experience though. I'm alright until around industrial era (before that I'm forced to build armories and stuff, which I'm fine with).

However, now techs are coming quickly and new supply sources are not. Population growth doesn't offset the losses to tech at all, even with many boosts. And the next supply building available, the arsenal, is a lot of hammers to pay for something that gives 0 yields. This is when the problems start for me. There is usually another wave of issues when aircraft arrive, because now the idea of a small elite army protecting choke-points is much harder to pull off.

Tall struggles to add anything outside of its land armies. Exploration units, navies, aircrafts, then missiles/atomic bomb/ICBM. Cases when I have to keep my caravels/explorer/bandeirantes at home for defense, instead of exploring, is more frequent than I'd like. Even if i spawn multiple generals/admirals somehow, I still feel I'm lacking supply to justify building units for anything but defense.

Reduction from techs seems particularly punishing for Tall. Maybe it should be mitigated if the number of cities is below a certain threshold.

I don't believe so: they get a bonus. IIRC, it's tied to AIUnitSupplyPercent in DifficultyMod (it may also increase from era to era, as some of these figures do).

Top Bottom