Going for Gold: Units

Is this item in a reasonable state of balance?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Knowledge Through Devotion could increase the cap by 1, not sure if you want to buff it though. We could even remove the Archaeologist faith-purchase and have it increase the cap to 2 as compensation.

Just that KTD suddenly wouldn't be able to buy 10 archaeologists in a single turn is enough of a nerf to justify a cap increase buff. Keep the faith purchase, it fits the belief.

If it's not acceptable to have paper pull double-duty, then a different strategic resource could be given by museums and wonders (ie. the Louvre). Each museum could provide a resident scholar resource. Maybe it could be called a "grant"?

Maybe Industry could give some additional Grants, or maybe one of their policies could increase archaeologist improvement speed?
Cool idea, but smells like new code.

40 turns in one game is not 40 turns in all games.

G
With the recent patches, I feel like aircraft are harder to get because science costs were increased. Perhaps aircraft could be made cheaper or stronger to reward beelining to flight a bit more?

Do you want to slow down archeologists? Have them move 2 steps a turn. Make diggings longer. Increase their cost. Or a combination.

That limit you want to implement would require another bar icon next to trade routes limit, and it's quite cramped there.
Making excavations take longer wouldn't do anything actually. Whoever gets to the site first essentially gets "dibs"

Making excavations take longer wouldn't do anything actually. Whoever gets to the site first essentially gets "dibs"

A movement speed adjustment would slow it down a bit and encourage people to get their own areas first, so thst seems a reasonable suggestion

Can't they just cost a lot more production? If they took 10 turns to build or whatever, I'd definitely have a long think before spamming them. A cap seems like too much complication.

Can't they just cost a lot more production? If they took 10 turns to build or whatever, I'd definitely have a long think before spamming them. A cap seems like too much complication.

A cap is more AI-friendly, and will be a subtle boost to tall.

G

If I'm aiming for a tourism victory I will still be spamming them. A 10 turn build would give other civs a better chance to snipe a few but if I'm first to the tech I'm still getting most of them. I like the hard cap idea; it neatly addresses every concern I have with the current state of archaeologists:
  • Current state: First to Archaeology gets the lion's share of sites. With a hard cap a lot more sites will be available to slower teching civs.
  • Current state: Initial archaeologists are sent to distant sites to maximize opportunities. Hard cap: closer sites will be prioritized to shorten archaeology cycle
  • Current state: Large civs are better able to churn out more archaeologists. Hard cap: Relatively size independent
  • Current state: Set archaeologists to all finish digs on the same turn in another civ's territory to minimize diplomatic impact. Hard cap: Break promises at your own risk
Archaeology would go from a race that can be over within 20 turns to one that might last an era.

I like the idea of a cap for archeologists, but I too would like some mechanisms for increasing it (via social policies, wonders, WC proposals,...).

How will the WTD reformation belief be changed to reflect this, now that it won't be possible to mass-buy archeologists?

Ugh, not WTD, but KTD.

Hmm, yeah, but that might be too powerful, especially since other civs benefit from reformation.

Also keep in mind thst insta buying synergies really well with a cap, it still greatly speeds up your ability to get artifacts.

I'm not so sure, because I can usually build an archeologist in my capital in just one turn, so I gain nothing by insta-buying it. Unless we'd also increase the production cost of archeologists, so that it would cost 3+ turns in "normally productive" capitals to build one. Then the KTD would retain some of its power.

Top Bottom