Going to give CIV 5 a try, will my rig handle it?

Tarascan_King

Chieftain
Hello Everyone!

I used to play CIV IV on my computer pretty smoothly and I told myself I wouldn't buy CIV 5 until i had a new PC, well I can't wait any longer and I haven't been able to get a new PC, I am going to give it a try on my 5 year old rig.

I started downloading the demo as I type to give me a feel for my pc's capabilites on this game but wanted you vets to give me your advice whether I have hope or am sol.

AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ Dual Core 2.60 GHZ
3 GB RAM
Windows Vista 32bit
Nvidia Ge Force 9800GT

Am hoping to be able to run at 1680 X 1050 (native) on medium settings at least.

What do you guys think? Do I have hope or forget about it?

Don't make the mistake of buying CIV V, stick with CIV IV instead.
Moderator Action: This post is in the context of the thread spam.

First of all, I'd wait to buy it until it goes on-sale. Steam should be having sales soon, so you'd likely be able to grab it as a daily deal. Civ V and all of its DLC were 66%(or was it 75%?) off back around Thanksgiving, so you can expect to see it at a similar price-point soon. Fantastic value at that kind of discount.

Yeah, Civ5 should run on your machine. There's always overclocking, or tweaking the .ini files if the game doesn't run as smooth as you'd like.

You'll probably have to stick to standard size maps as large might be too much late game, but standard and even small is big enough to enjoy the game, so it's not too bad.

Biggest improvement I saw from an upgrade in Civ5 was going from a dual core to a quad core cpu, so if you're considering an upgrade, that might be a consideration. I got my quad core cheap from eBay and then overclocked it by 50%, so upgrade can be done on a budget if needed.

Thanks guys!

I bought the regular edition for $29.99 at a local walmart with the free americas DLC map.

I've been playing it on all max settings huge map with 19 civs and 24 city states for a while now. Did about 400 turns so far so good not too much delay. I'm sure I won't finish it because it will become unplayable on my specs but Im going to use that as a benchmark to see how much my computer will take and then tone it down from there on my next game.

Thanks guys!

I bought the regular edition for $29.99 at a local walmart with the free americas DLC map.

I've been playing it on all max settings huge map with 19 civs and 24 city states for a while now. Did about 400 turns so far so good not too much delay. I'm sure I won't finish it because it will become unplayable on my specs but Im going to use that as a benchmark to see how much my computer will take and then tone it down from there on my next game.

You can predict the future, or it has started to bog down for you? How many cities do you have?

When I first started Civ5, I always wanted to play on a HUGE map until I realized, by the time you get very far in the game, the winner is typically already decided, because they will be the one with a crapton of cities, and a score 200-500 over anyone else. by the time you are able to take advantage of the larger map, the game is typically decided by then.

I can play huge maps, but I enjoy Standard maps because anything larger and I'll get bored of the map when I have 15+ cities, a massive army, and the level of strategy I want to play will take me 15 minutes per turn.

You can always try reducing the amount of AI players, because its the amount of cities that bogs down your RAM and CPU and ends up crashing your game.

TL;DR Huge maps are over rated, try playing standard maps and you will enjoy them just as much.

Hey everyone,

**UPDATE**

The first few days after I bought the game I was bouncing around playing maybe a couple hundred turns in each game then quitting and starting another trying to get a feel for what I like.

Now ive been playing about a week on one game that I got into as rome.

I've done about 800 turns and Im using the more marathon mod on a large map started with about 12 players but now down to 9.

Waiting for turns takes about 10 seconds max and I still have all my max settings on graphics, very pleased and impressed with the stability of the game.

As for the game itself Im still enjoying it very much, the only complaint is probably with the diplomacy AI. I didn't know once you were labeled a war monger it stuck with you forever and it's causing some problems but I'll try to avoid it next time.

Hey everyone,

**UPDATE**

The first few days after I bought the game I was bouncing around playing maybe a couple hundred turns in each game then quitting and starting another trying to get a feel for what I like.

Now ive been playing about a week on one game that I got into as rome.

I've done about 800 turns and Im using the more marathon mod on a large map started with about 12 players but now down to 9.

Waiting for turns takes about 10 seconds max and I still have all my max settings on graphics, very pleased and impressed with the stability of the game.

As for the game itself Im still enjoying it very much, the only complaint is probably with the diplomacy AI. I didn't know once you were labeled a war monger it stuck with you forever and it's causing some problems but I'll try to avoid it next time.
Pleased to hear Civ5 is working well for you.

With regards to war-monger hate. If you want to avoid it as much as possible in Civ5, just wait until the AI declares on you and then thrash them down to one little city and leave them at that. You get some hate for being the aggressor and a lot more for completely wiping out an AI, including city states, which are considered a Civ in their own right by the other AIs if you wipe one or more out.

If you want to be the aggressor, try to get other Civs to go into a war with you, or keep all the AIs at war with each other (through bribing them) so they hate each other relatively more than you. Just make sure not to completely wipe another AI out yourself as that'll get you a lot of warmonger hate ;) .

Top Bottom