Good Capacity Website Providers?

Exsanguination

No longer here
I am currently using Yahoo! Geocities as my website host, but they only allow 15MB and are really crappy. This is mainly directed to those of you who have graphically-intensive sites (such as Sullla's/Sirian's/T-Hawk's Civ3 pages). I've done ONE summary and have used 7MB! How do you all have 10+ summaries plus other pages? What are your website providers? Are they free?

Anyone know of any good, free website providers?

Depends on what you want to do. If it's just the space you're after: topcities is the road to travel, if you want to give your site a little more backbone: www.spaceports.com. If you're a complete newbie and want an easy-to-use interface and ready-made scripts: go for angelfire.com. If 150mb of free space isn't enough: set up your own server!!

ONE ADVICE:
If you decide to pay for a host, DONT GO FOR CHEAP BIG CAPACITY HOSTS.

QUALITY comes with a PRICE. Cheap hosts that give you "unlimited everything" (which doesn't even exist) are one big NIGHTMARE.

Hosts with lot of costumers are a nightmare as well.

I would suggest you go to the forum www.webhostingtalk.com, main forum, and ask them what you want.

You could also put a request for free hosting at web hosting requests forum.

Anyway, never go with a host before you did some digging up on it at webhostingtalk.com that forum rules, it gives you all the info you need.

As IceBlaZe says be very careful!!

I went with a very cheap webhost that offered me loads of space and told me Vbulletin would be fine to use. Within 2 months they had shut down and deleted my site saying that I had abused the terms of service and was slowing down their servers :rolleyes: . They then kindly offered me all the posts that my members had posted back but only if I paid them £45. (Their name is Supanames.co.uk btw! An evil company in my opinion!).

I just thought screw them and started again but this time I got proper advice (much like you are doing!!).

I use F5hosting.com at the moment. The only trouble I have had since using them was when the boards crashed when I was trying to install an update to VBulletin. :D But F5hosting kindly restored everything and did the update without charging me. :)

Yeah F5Hosting has some good reviews.

If you do a checkup in webhostingtalk.com about a company you will be just fine.

Sometimes there are hosts in the "middle" - 50% like them, 50% don't.

Sometimes a little research can prevent trouble and sometimes nothing helps and it's just bad luck.

for the record, I will not be buying[/i] a wesbite, no way in hell I'd pay for one (esp just for a casual website). I just signed up for a free topcities.com one but they still haven't sent me their confirmation email...

netfirms is pretty good, but they are not large capacity (e.g., 150 MB) for free. I have set up several people's companies using their website, including 2 europeans.

Like IceBlaZe said, look into it in detail.

Top Bottom