1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Good High-bandwidth Router

Discussion in 'Computer Talk' started by ls612, Aug 1, 2016.

1. ls612

ls612 Deity Moderator

I will be moving in about a month and the place I'm moving to has gigabit fiber, so the quality of the router will matter. What does everyone think I should get? I will have 3-4 devices on the network at the same time and would like to get more or less the posted speed between them.

2. Zelig

Zelig Beep Boop

Anything modern will do 1 gbit WAN-> LAN. Anything with gigabit ports will do 1 gbit LAN -> LAN. Nothing will do 1 gbit wirelessly.

Consumer router manufacturers are pretty much all incompetent at security and firmware updates. If you're not comfortable installing custom firmware, my recommendation is for either Apple's AirPort Extreme, or either of Google's OnHub routers.

If you're comfortable installing custom firmware, either the Asus RT-N56U with Padavan's firmware (not listed on the specs, but current revision of the router supports 802.11ac with Padavan's firmware) or the Asus RT-AC66U with Merlin's firmware. The former is cheaper and has lower wifi performance, but is also more efficient and doesn't heat up as much.

3. Sherlock

Sherlock Just one more turn...

I'm not an Apple fan but they make a very good router.

4. Zelig

Zelig Beep Boop

It's nothing special, other than getting regular updates. It's expensive, doesn't have particularly good wireless performance, and is short on advanced features.

5. Leonidas34

Leonidas34 Chieftain