GOTM 10 final spoiler

I vote no to deity. Sorry, but I can't continue to beat my head against the keyboard.

Hi all,

This is the history of Dictator Qin Shi Huang and his conquest of the world.

The History of Qin Shi Huang
Leader of the Chinese Empire
Game of the Month 10 – Immortal

I decided the following before starting the game: No founding of religion, no worker steal and no Oracle slingshot. Instead I planned to expand moderately, targeting 4 cities at 0 BC. I will start with Fishing, then Bronze Working. I plan to build one warrior and then two workboats. Oh, I almost forgot: I will aim for a Conquest Victory…

First contact (4000 BC – 355 BC)
Spoiler :

4000 BC – Move warrior 1SE. Sheep and Corn revealed. I now pause, eat dinner and contemplate where to settle. The two extra health resources (3 with granary) means that I do not need to settle at the river. It also means that I can settle a second city much earlier than I had planned. I decide to settle at start. The only reason to move would be if a happiness resource showed up. The city works the cow to grow to size 2 asap.

3910 BC – The warrior climbs the hills 4E and reveals another cow. This will be an excellent place for my second city (plains hill gives an extra hammer, the corn will be workable from start). I anticipate a high production city. I spot sea to the north-east, so the city will be an excellent fog-buster. Animals will soon show up, so I will not move the warrior on flat tiles any longer.

3880 BC – Oh my god! Stone and Gold!! Almost too much for one city. I will stick to my plan to build warrior and work boat, then I’ll decide.

3730 BC – Hatshepsut show up. This is excellent: she likes to trade tech, and her scouts will keep the barbarians away.

3670 BC – I move warrior towards the second cow, and an elephant is revealed! Not only is ivory a low-tech resource, but provides an extra happiness with market. There is certainly room for two cities instead of one. Population expansion and I work the two forest tiles, and change production to work boat.

3640 BC – Panther shows up. I’m reluctant to move my warrior from my forest tile to a forest tile further south, since there’s a risk that another animal show up. I can handle one, not two. So I pass my movement.

3580 BC – Panther moves away, and I pursue. My warrior has a 5% bonus against animals. The panther is killed. I also notice that I am one turn ahead of schedule for Bronze Working compared to my test games. That’s the advantage with running the city on Citizen Automation: the city grows at end of turn, and corn on fresh water tile is worked instead of cow. Voila – one extra commerce. I will try to micromanage the city to exploit this one-turn advantage.

3430 BC – I fortify my warrior on the forested hills 4E of capital. I don’t want to loose him to a bear. Busshism founded in a distant land.

3220 BC – Workboat complete, continue with warrior. I lost 6 hammers, but that’s life.

3040 BC – Warrior complete. I will build another work boat, because I need to build two worker-settler pairs, and there is no point building a city without a worker that can improve the tiles, apart from staking land. Hatshepsut has not built her second city yet, so Im not that worried.

3010 BC – Copper in capital city radius! This is by far the most favourable starting site I’ve ever played. In the same time it’s intimidating since I realise that I will need all these resources to have even the remotest chance to win this game. I now have to decide if I should complete the work boat, or whip a worker instead. I’ll revolt instead, and postpone the position.

2980 BC – Put kids to bed, watched TV, still can’t decide if I should build worker... no, I’ll whip the work boat two turns before reaching size 4, so that the city turns three when the work boat is built. Then I will build the worker.

2950 BC – Hatshepsut converts to Hinduism. That’s excellent, now I just hope it will spread to my lands, and we’ll be best friends. Until I backstab her. My capital has 31 food. If I whip now, I need 5 surplus food to grow back to size 3. Easy decision. A new era has dawned: I will whip every man, every woman, young as old. They must sacrifice their lives for the greater glory of the Empire. Honour to Qin Shi Huang! Death to our enemies.

2500 BC – I now have one turn left on my warrior, and one turn left to reach size 4, and my unhappiness has just ran out. Time for the whip. WORK HARDER!

2470 BC – According to the Venerable Bede, the Chinese people are hopeless in the technology, while Hatshepsut is Mediocre (4/7). This is good. She should not be too advanced, nor too slow. The settler will take 13 turns but probably less when the copper is mined.

2410 BC – I realise that the copper is not connected to my city. I will switch to The Wheel instead of Writing, which I am halfway through. I can accept these small mistakes, but I can’t afford many of them. I haven’t seen any barbarians, except for the Panther in the beginning. Strange. I’m sure they will come, and I prefer to have axe men then.

2380 BC – My third warrior (second produced) moves to 4SE to take keep track of the Egyptians and to bust some fog. Sugar is revealed!

2170 BC – Settler complete, another worker next.

2110 BC – The Wheel complete, switched to Writing again with no loss. Founded my second city 3SE+E from capital. This will bring cow and ivory next to the city, and sugar in the city radius later on. And Horses! Didn’t expect that.. I wonder if there’s coal, iron, aluminum, oil, and uran nearby as well… Building Barracks.

2080 BC – First barbarian warrior show up.

970 BC – I noticed that Hatshepsut has built a city to the east. I need to build another city, probably to the south to get the gems. I will just complete my work boat next turn that I will use to explore with. Alphabet in 4 turns…

State of the Empire as of 850 BC:

Cities: 4
Population: 11
Land: 25
Technology: 12
Research: 21 (70%)
Gold: 12
Total Expenses: 12
Total Food: 32
Total Hammers: 25
Buildings: 1xBarracks, 1xLibrary
Units Built: 13
Units Killed: 5
Units Lost: 1

775 BC – Met with Asoka. Surprisingly, he is not very high in score (338 compared to me at 228 and Hatshepsut at 349). I trade away the alphabet for Sailing, Polytheism, and Archery. I am concerned that he is bringing 5 archers though. That’s never a good sign! Lets build some more axemen then. He is on the other side of Hatshepsut so hopefully he will be my ally later.

550 BC – Met with Genghis Khan. I’m surprised to find that I have a significant tech lead against him (five technologies against his single).

I now have a hard disk crash on my laptop and I didn’t take further notes during play… 

Research:
3730 BC – Fishing
3040 BC – Bronze Working
2620 BC – Animal Husbandry
2140 BC – The Wheel
1840 BC – Writing
925 BC – Alphabet
910 BC – Masonry (trade)
850 BC – Hunting (trade), Mysticism (trade)
775 BC – Sailing (trade), Polytheism (trade), Archery (trade)
670 BC – Iron Working
640 BC – Meditation (trade), Priesthood (trade)
595 BC – Pottery

Destruction of the Egyptian Empire (355 BC – 635 AD)
Spoiler :

Due to the good starting point, with plenty of happiness and health resources, my cities grow large and can thus support a larger civilization and more units. I notice that Hatshetsup has no copper and she has not connected to the iron. I traded her Iron Working since I knew I would deny her the iron. She has archers only. It’s now or never.

340 BC – Declare war on Hatshesup

295 BC – Capture Elephantine (city close to horses). Now she can’t produce mounted units.

80 AD – Capture Alexandria (city close to bananas). I don’t have catapults yet (research is crawling along at 40%). This doesn’t stop me from assaulting with Swordsmen, anticipating loosing a couple. Hatshetsup mysteriously moves out an archer the turn before the attack. Strange and decisive.

185 AD – Giza razed. This was a low culture city so no problems with swordsmen.

350 AD – Gengis Khan declares on Hatshetsup. I was not involved in that decision, I swear!

365 AD – Thebes captured (capital at wheat). Catapults are the big difference and the capital falls easily. I accept peace for Literacy.

515 AD – Time expired, DoW again. She is not treating her population with respect, so she does not deserve to rule them. I am a much more competent ruler!

530 AD – Gengis captures Pi Ramesses.

560 AD – Memphis (silk, ivory, gems) falls into my hands. Thousands of citizens great me as I enter the city. The rest are whipped to death to build a granary. I can’t hold my tears back. It is so beautiful that the weak sacrifice themselves for the strong…

590 AD – I celebrate myself by building the Hanging Gardens to my honour. Several thousand minions die to keep the time schedule.

635 AD – Heliopolis (dye) is captured and the Egyptian Civilization is destroyed. They deserved nothing else.

Research:

370 BC – Mathematics (trade)
355 BC – Monotheism (trade)
175 BC – Metal Casting
160 BC – Calendar (trade)
110 AD – Construction
140 AD – Currency (trade)
200 AD – Monarchy (trade)
365 AD – Literacy (trade for peace)
395 AD – Machinery
410 AD – Theology (trade)
425 AD - Drama (trade), Code of Laws (trade)
440 AD – Horseback Riding

Destruction of the Indian Empire (650 AD – 1364 AD)
Spoiler :

I notice that Asoka is racing away in tech, and that there is an unholy alliance between him, Huyana Capac and Catherine. They swap technologies and they won’t share their advances with me. That is not civilized, so they deserve to die. I start with Asoka to break the tech trade alliance.

830 AD – I declare on Asoka.

845 AD – I convinced G.K. that he does not like Asoka at all. He comes to the conclusion that he can’t resist attacking Asoka. This time I was actually helping him to take the decision.

875 AD – Captured Karachi (corn).

965 AD – Captured Jaipur (cow, clam, fish)

1025 AD – Captured Madras (gold, copper)

1070 AD – Built city on Treasure Island (I should have done that earlier but forgot)

1085 AD – Captured Madras (gold, cow, silk). Made peace with Asoka for logistical reasons.

1136 AD – Built Angkor Wat.

1154 AD – Time to spank Asoka again (DoW).

1166 AD – Gibbon claims that the power is distributed amongst the civilizations in the following order:

Catherine the Glorious
Genghis Khan the Great
Huayna Capac the Fine
Cyrus the Mediocre
Qin Shi Huang the Puny
Asoka the Pathetic

Hold on – Puny? Puny! PUNY!! If I get hold of that Gibbon monkey, he will get a puny stick up his puny rear, a puny bonfire under his feet, and then he’ll tell me who is puny!!! Huayna revolts to Theocracy and Vassalage. Not a good sign for his enemies. Hope he’ll choose Cyrus, not me…

1208 AD – First in score.

1214 AD – Calcutta is captured by G.K.

1220 AD – I build the Notre Dame in my capital.

1232 AD – Captured Lahore (iron, fur, wheat). It took an awful long time from the turn I DoW’ed. I sue for peace.

1268 AD – Peace between G.K. and Asoka.

1292 AD – I DoW Asoka again, for the last time.

1310 AD – Built Spiral Minaret and captured Kolhapur (coal, alum, fish)

1328 AD – Lost Lahore to an Indian knight. Darn.

1334 AD – Recaptured Lahore.

1340 AD – Build Taj Mahal.

1346 AD – Captured Delhi (incense)

1352 AD – I give tech to G.K. to DoW Cyrus. Nothing happens in that war, but I wanted Cyrus to be slightly behind me in tech so that I could trade or sell him my tech.

1364 AD – Captured Bangalore (gold, horse, coal) and the Indian Civilization is destroyed. I have just produced my first Cavalry, but I didn’t use these units very much this game due to timing of events. Cavalry is normally the unit I use in my mid-game wars in other games (early war with swordsmen and catapults), but I was playing more aggressive this time. The beauty with the Cavalry/Grenadier/Cannon combo is that they arrive very close in time, and that they are so much more advanced than earlier units.

Research:
665 AD – Engineering
680 AD – Feudalism (trade), Philosophy (trade)
920 AD – Compass (trade)
935 AD – Guilds
950 AD – Civil Service (trade), Optics (trade)
1100 AD – Music (trade)
1112 AD – Gunpowder
1118 AD – Paper (trade)
1148 AD – Divine Right (trade)
1190 AD – Banking (trade)
1208 AD – Nationalism
1310 AD – Military Tradition

Destruction of the Incan Empire (1370 AD – 1782 AD)
Spoiler :

During this phase of the game, I try to get my newly captured cites in shape. I am behind in tech and I want to increase my research rate. Perhaps I should have shut down my research instead, since the next war progressed very slowly. It was not until the third war with H.C. in the mid 1700’s that I had good progress.

1430 AD – Hagia Sofia built by me

1502 AD – Mama mia, madre de dios. Huyana Capac lands an invasion force on my north-east coast! How dare he tread my holy ground with his filthy feet? I swear an oath that I will make him bow before me and I will swing the axe myself. Let the blood flow, send the scum back into the sea. I hadn’t move my units from the Indian wars so I managed to kill of his units.

1508 AD – I send an emissary to G.K. and pays him to switch target from Cyrus to H.C.

1532 AD – G.K. is very mighty and razes one of H.C. cities.

1562 AD – G.K. raze Cuzco (Incan capital)

1565 AD – I get scared by the might of the Mongolians and fear that G.K. will run over H.C. which will make G.K. too strong. I sue for peace with H.C.

1571 AD – Huamanga razed by G.K.

1595 AD – I DoW on H.C.

1607 AD – I raze Tiwanaka and G.K. razes Ollansomething. I did not dare to keep Tiwanaka but in retrospect it was a mistake to raze the city.

1619 AD – Corihuayrachina captured by me and I sue for peace.

1640 AD – I managed to get G.K. to agree on peace.

1673 AD – Pentagon built by me

1703 AD – G.K. declares on H.C. again

1715 AD – I DoW on H.C. again

1721 AD – Capture Arequipa

1736 AD – Capture Vitcos

1740 AD – Peace between G.K. and H.C.

1742 AD – Andahuaylas captured

1750 AD – Vilcas captured and Broadway built by me

1756 AD – Razed Juli

1758 AD – Captured Shangian

1760 AD – Razed Chuito

1768 AD - Razed Atico, Captured Yayoi

1774 AD – Razed Ica

1778 AD – Built the Eiffel Tower, captured Vilcabamba

1782 AD – Captured Chuquiapo and the Incan Civilization is destroyed. Sweet. I still have his head on a poly at my palace.

Research
1376 AD – Constitution
1418 AD – Printing Press
1460 AD – Chemistry
1466 AD – Education (trade)
1478 AD – Liberalism (trade)
1508 AD – Astronomy (trade)
1526 AD – Steel
1529 AD – Economics (trade), Scientific Methods (trade)
1532 AD – Corporation (trade)
1541 AD – Replacable Parts
1565 AD – Steam Power
1595 AD – Railroad
1598 AD – Rifling (trade)
1613 AD – Communism
1652 AD – Assembly Line
1655 AD – Combustion (trade)
1664 AD – Fascism
1667 AD – Democracy (trade)
1682 AD – Physics
1703 AD – Electricity
1712 AD – Artillery (trade)
1727 AD – Industrialism
1752 AD – Flight (trade)
1760 AD – Fission
1768 AD – Radio (trade)
1774 AD – Biology (trade)
1778 AD – Mass Media

Destruction of the Russian Empire(1784 AD – 1833 AD)
Spoiler :

At this time, Cyrus and Catherine have a defensive pact, and I need to break that. So, I start making arrogant demands and see who folds first. It turns out that Catherine gets most upset. I send spies over to her continent and try to spear Judaism to get good coverage. She has a massive naval superiority, but I’m building battleships.

1790 AD – Catherine builds Apollo.

1796 AD – C. DoW on me. She sends eight destroyers but no invasion force. I eventually kill them and start taking her cities. This war is not very exciting, as the A.I. is easily outmanoeuvred. I did not use transports as much as I should have, so the war dragged on longer than necessary. I capture 20 cities in 30 turns.

1810 AD – Built Hollywood

1827 AD – G.K. builds Apollo

1828 AD – I build U.N.

1833 AD – Irkutsk is mine and the Russian Empire is destroyed.

Research
1796 AD – Computers
1811 AD – Plastics
1822 AD – Robotics
1827 AD – Rocketry (trade)
1832 AD – Refrigeration

Destruction of the Persian Empire(1834 AD – 1856 AD)
Spoiler :

I have prepared the invasion force and planned to do two landing, one from the NW and one from the NE. Since I’m going for conquest, I will raze all cities to avoid a domination victory, including those with wonders. This will probably reduce my final score, but I don’t care.

1834 AD – G.K. declares on Cyrus (on my initiative). And as I had predicted, Cyrus launched an invasion against G.K.

1836 AD – I DoW on Cyrus and sink all his transporters <insert maniac laugher here>. Pure evil. To make a short story even shorter, I raze 19 cities in 21 turns.

1841 AD – Built Manhattan Project. Nice. I use my four spies in Mongolian lands and find his city where he builds the SDI. I use my spies to sabotage his production and his tiles. I didn’t know that only a part of the production is destroyed by the spy. I find it much more efficient (and cheaper) to destroy tile improvements instead of destroying production. Did I mention that G.K. was friendly with me?

Research
1839 AD – Genetics
1845 AD – Satellites
1854 AD – Ecology

Destruction of the Mongolian Empire (1856 AD - 1859 AD)
Spoiler :

I started producing nukes as soon as Manhattan Project was completed and accumulated eight of them until I unleashed hell upon my best friend. I think he deserved it. He refused to trade Rocketry for a long time and he refused to share Satellites with me. The people on this earth deserve leaders that are more generous. Some of the people had to suffer for the pride of their leader. Sad really.

1856 AD – Eight solar flares blind millions of people and vaporises the rest. I am ashamed that I have to resort to such barbaric acts. However, those who survived are welcomed into the glorious Chinese Empire. Two nukes are enough to kill almost every unit in a city. My troops storm the devastated cities from transports. Three cities are razed. I had to disband a spy that prevented me to nuke one of the cities.

1857 AD – More nukes come out of the factories (does anyone know if they are built in mass production lines?) and are used to soften up the defences in certain key cities. Seven cities are captured/razed.

1858 AD – Another two cities are razed.

1859 AD – The last four cities falls and the Mongolian Empire is destroyed. 16 cities in 4 turns. Celebrations!

1860 AD – Conquest Victory at 6k/50k score.

Note: The following Mongolian units where destroyed in 1856

2 Settlers
2 Workers
6 Jet Fighters
14 Artillery
1 Rifleman
9 Infantry
19 SAM Infantry
3 Marines
2 Gunship
9 Transports
7 Destroyers

Conclusions

I used the whip extensively the first five thousand years. I did not have many problems with either animals or barbarians. I did not manage to grow my cultural border as quick as I had wanted, not until I had Judaism as state religion. I missed a few wonders with just a few turns and Catherine beat me with a few turns on many techs. Spies are very useful, spreading a founded religion likewise, and most important: Nukes are wonderful. They helped me destroy the Mongolian civilization in four turns. They’re such a blessing to mankind.

Comments
My impression with GOTM 10 is that the step up in difficulty compared to GOTM 9 was compensated with the many resources in the starting area. This game gave me an excellent opportunity to practice modern combat which was fun. I prefer future games to be less modified though, and perhaps the adventure bonus could be significantly higher instead (e.g. extra units at start). I also prefer smaller maps or faster game play. However, I am willing to play any type of game provided by the GOTM team (including deity). Thanks for the time and effort you spend to provide us with hours (days?) of entertainment.

jesusin said:
Jesusin, contender. Goal: fast military victory. Conquest Victory, 1550AD, 167367 points, 39hours, 18 sessions.

Dang, that's a nice score Jesusin. I was feeling pretty good about my Dom victory:

Contender
1786 AD
Base score: 6539
Final score: 115193

How the heck did you manage to stay up on techs with REX on immortal? I only built a few cities early because was worried about maintenance costs (which were killer on practice games).

Ainwood - deity? - you going to need to be very generous in starting position. I've never played immortal until these practice games and most of them I got smoked. You made this starting position very easy and we were helped by having a weak neighbor in Hatty.

jesusin said:
Jesusin, contender. Goal: fast military victory. Conquest Victory, 1550AD, 167367 points, 39hours, 18 sessions.

Great game. :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob:

I thought it was almost impossible to win conquest on this immortal game, but you proved that it can be done!
I was trying for conquest early on, but had to settle for domination.
Russia was pullling ahead in my game, no way to beat her for me.
In the end I was happy with my domination victory in 1738 AD (about 91k score)

Well, thank you both, I don't know if it was so great a game, though.

I am not a warmonger, so I overvalued the difficulty of domination victory. I thought it would require settling most of the poles. I think I could have finished much sooner if I had aimed domination, building settlers and using my GreatArtists. Also I wish I had started the Egypt war sooner.

My GreatPeople went to waste because of my mistaken techbulbing spreadsheet (or my mistaken interpretation of it, still unsure).

As for the tech raze, I wasn't worried at all. My focus was on hammers, not on beakers. Please, @Doc TK, read my first spoiler. I deprioritized GreatScientist and the one I had I didn't use for an Academy. I never used bureaucracy either. Some details about "REX and keeping the pace":
4 cities in 1000BC
8 cities in 1AD
29turns to research Alphabet
After Alphabet, you trade and get a small tech lead.
Anyway, when you have soooo much food in the capital, you can whip settlers and workers without damaging your commerce.

Well, the real key to my strong economy was GreatLightHouse. When you have 3 trade routes per city, you can keep every city you take, even without Courthouse the city pays for itself. And then, the bigger you are, the better you research. The Colossus was just good enough.

As for points, I am not interested in score, but fast finishes. @DocTK, you had 50% more base score than me. Our finish dates were quite appart, though.

ainwood said:
Do you want to try deity next month?

Of course! I think with the right start and enough adventurer assistance anyone could give it a go. I'd make an exception for the next 25% who didn't think they could go a 'normal' game. However, this one wasn't as hard as the average random map at this level.

A'AbarachAmadan said:
Of course! I think with the right start and enough adventurer assistance anyone could give it a go. I'd make an exception for the next 25% who didn't think they could go a 'normal' game. However, this one wasn't as hard as the average random map at this level.
We will definitely have a deity game either this cycle or next cycle.

I am actually considering a deity game where even the 'contender' class gets a (small) bonus. :hmm:

After Ghengis gone, it's time to rethink about strategy.

Cathy is a powerhouse. She's ahead in research and has lots of military, so I decided to change my goal from conquest to domination.

Who to take on next?

The logical candidate would be Asoka. He is on my continent and his military is mediocre at best.
On a second thought Huayna might be the right candidate. I will be first to infantry, so the fight would be in my favour. I f I leave him too long alone, I would face machine guns and infantry by the time I start invading him.
Thinking further if I leave Asoka too long alone, he will outreseach me and the war against him could become an uphill battle. So what to do?
Finally, I came to the conclusion I have to take on both at the same time.
The war will be longer, but it will hamper their research, so I should be able to fight mostly with superior units. Infantry against riflemen, that must do the trick.

I traded heavily with Cathy, had a defensive pact at one time, but she decided to go to war with Cyrus and the pact was cancelled automatically. I was afraid that Cathy would take out Cyrus and make domination more difficult for me, but it turned out that this was a phony war. She did not take one single city from Cyrus although she had the much superior units. Another example of the difference between humans and the AI.

After having researched assembly line, Cathy already switched to emancipation and my people were angry at me. She did not want to trade democracy, so I had to invest a few more turns to research it.
I should have researched communism as well to be able to switch to police state when war wariness kicks in, but I underestimated the war weariness when fighting against two opponents at the same time.
So I stopped research completly after democracy and made my final war preparations:

In 1565 AD I was out of anarchy after swicthing to emancipation. I should have also switched to Vassalage and Theocracy as well, but I did not. Something I learned for the next time.
I used my two saved GP and initiated my Golden Age.

In 1574 AD, I had upgraded my macemen to infantry (a infantry with city raider 3 is almost unstoppable) I declared war on Huayna and landed my invasion force next to Vilcabamba.

In 1586 AD I had also upgraded my troops on the northern front and declared war on Asoka:

Now it started to become really time consuming. I had two stacks in the north, taking on Asoka:

Two stacks for the main continent of Huayna:

One fleet for the main islands:

an a smaller fleet to take out two small islands, one in the north of Chengdu, the other southwest of Maryan

Turns at this stage took almost one hour, then went back to about 30 minutes.

The wars itself went OK, but war weariness became a real problem:

In 1625 I ran a slight GNP plus with 40% lux

In 1658 AD I had to run 100% and still could not keep my cities from starving. This war weariness is broken in Civ4 in my opinion.

Fortunately with Asoka being gone a few turns later, everything was under control.

The last fierce battle was the battle of Corihuayrachina where Huayna amassed his last reserves.

After that, it was a walk in the park to get some cities from Cyrus to achieve domination victory. The logistics, or better my bad ability to ship chain and handle this boring stuff, was the reason that it took me quite a while to finally get to domination in 1738.

A very enjoyable game, thanks Ainwood!

Some statistics:

During all these wars, I only lost 6 macemen and 16 infantry, but 71 catapults.
I killed among others: 21 archers, 34 longbowmen, 20 grenadiers, 121 riflemen, 10 cavalries, 38 catapults, 13 cannons and 4 machine guns.

Deity or not deity: I would either like a short deity game next month (small or even better tiny map), and a normal size map later on. Deity games take a long time to play and I'm afraid on a standard or larger map I won't find the necessary time

Adventurer Class HOF mod. This was the first time I have used the HOF mod.

Considering QSH's traits I thought I was going to be going for a Space Victory. Eventually, I decided I might be able to pull off a diplomatic quicker instead so went off to get the UN. Unfortunately I could not get enough Friendlies for the necessary votes.

In the meantime, 6 religions had been brought to my lands so I then had to choose if I was going to go back to space or head for cultural. I decided on cultural mostly because I'd never done it before.

Space loss to HC in 1908. My third city to reach Legendary was in 1912 (I played the few extra turns.) If I had won the score would have been about 14500 so nothing fabulous. Still would have been nice.

If I had decided to go for cultural before wasting time on the diplomatic option I probably would have won with many turns to spare.

I never had a war. Didnt even lose a unit to Barbs I dont think. Fog busted my end of the island very quicky. Built about 75% of all wonders, most of which in Capital - which got to about 90,000 culture without even trying. Last tech researched was Flight.

All in all, rather enjoyable. 20 hours - 17 sessions.

Next!

Diplomatic victory in 1868, 47.797 points (contender)

Been moving house this month and didn't have time for a detailed writeup, unfortunately. Here's a high-level summary.

Opening
Founded 2SW, whipped a workboat and developed Beijing a bit, then founded Shanghai 3N. Met Hatchy and Ghengis. Unusual for me, I researched archery because I was running late to hook up the copper; this saved my neck when two archers made for Beijing and were stopped by all my warriors and a rushed archer. 3rd city was founded SE of Beijing in 835, on the river-tile adjacent to horses, rice and sugar.

The Egyptian War (520AD &#8211; 240BC)
Hatchy then took a barb city south of Beijing (near the gems), which led me to counterattack her wounded stack and (slightly prematurely from my pov) began the Egyptian War. Managed to knock out her only source of horses by taking Alexandria, deny her access to iron and advance on Memphis, on the southern isthmus. But then Ghengis declared on Hatchy as well and razed the city one turn ahead of the arrival of my stack. I turned south, took Thebes and made peace while Ghengis went on to raze another three egyptian cities. He finally took Heliopolis (dyes-city) and Hatchy was out.

Builder Mode
This left me the entire western third of of the continent to settle and pleased status with Ghengis so I spent the next 1000 years in builder mode. In one of my better moves, I founded Xian on the southern isthmus, which gave me a channel between the ocean and the inland lake. At the time, I thought I was doing really well, building the FP, GL (575), getting circumnavigation in 800 and setting up 11 cities in total. But Ghengis used this time to take five cities from India and amass a huge army.

The Mongol Wars (1208-1370, 1436-1538, 1580-1625)
When I finally got my nerve up to attack (bribing GK into war with Asoka first), the window for Chu-Ko-Nu&#8217;s was already beginning to close. I used them to take Heliopolis and secure the dies, then swept up three northern, formerly indian cities, including the jewish holy city complete with a shrine. The defense of my subcontinent was based squarely on longbows behind the walls of Xian, which held out well &#8211; but then Ghengis sent three galleons to attack thebes and I was barely able to beat him back and sue for peace.
Because he had so many units, it took two more wars (now with grenadiers and frigates) to take the southeastern half of the continent, even though I had a tech lead over Ghengis most of the time. It helped a lot to be able to sail on the lake, bombarding cities and ferrying in troops. In the end, I was running 60% culture against WW and fell six or seven techs behind Cathy though. Looking back, an earlier war with a bigger army of Chu-Ko&#8217;s would have sped up the conquest considerably and kept me in better shape tech-wise.

The Indian War (1679 &#8211; 1734)
After a short breather, I upgraded my catapults to cannons and marched straight north, taking Delhi and cutting the indian empire in two. Asoka was even in tech but had only few units which just sat around in his cities. War-weariness was the main problem in this campaign. However, when the smoke cleared, I was in posession of the entire starting continent save two cities, one founded by HC in the south after the egyptian war and one by Cathy in the far northeast (to claim the oil, as I later found out).

Buffing up and making friends
Five-hundred years of near constant warfare put me behind in tech, but ahead in production, food and soon gnp. For the next 100 years, the game was about growing my population, trading tech with Cyrus and upgrading the military. Staying a monarchy kept things quiet with Cathy and HC while I caught up. I built the Ironworks, Globe Theatre, Oxford,Westpoint and, in 1824, the UN. With 44% of the vote already mine, the plan was to grow that share to about 50% and switch to representation to get Cyrus&#8217; support for a diplomatic victory. However, this meant dropping monarchy and the +4 with Cathy and HC, which were militarily stronger and locked in an alliance. I only dared do this when I had upgraded to infantry and destroyers. Cyrus then took longer than expected to warm to me, so I built up an invasion army, just in case. Just as I was moving my transports in for the attack, he finally made up his mind and supported my diplomatic victory in 1868.

Summary
I got really lucky in the Egyptian war, which was begun on a less than solid foundation but ended up a sweeping triumph thanks to Ghengis razing all of Hatchy&#8217;s cities for me. I then went on to squander this inheritance. The golden age of peace that was supposed to lay the foundation for a strong empire turned out to be a time-consuming trap: The delayed wars against Ghengis meant more Mongols, less leverage for Chu-Kos, longer wars, more culture expenses against WW and finally cost me the tech lead against Asoka, which in turn prolonged the Indian war. With more determination earlier on, I believe I could have taken over the continent in the 1600s and gone on to take either Cyrus or HC for backdoor domination, as jesusin and uberfish have demonstrated so admirably. As it stood, I was in for a pretty tedious endgame, where victory was never seriously at risk, but time just ran out.

It&#8217;s funny, but I seem to be learning the same lesson over and over. Whenever I move up a level, I drop some of my builder habits, take more risks &#8230; and yet here I am, on Immortal, still letting my builderish tendencies get the better of me &#8230; sigh.

Anyhow, thanks again to Ainwood for this great game, and to everyone taking the time to post writeups here.

Btw, how about an award for the best game-writeup?

... and as for the question about Deity: Of course I would play. But I would much prefer an undiluted Immortal game, or even a tough start on Emperor. IMHO, It's more satisfying to win on a lower level but without these heavy starting advantages.

Jorunkun said:
... and as for the question about Deity: Of course I would play. But I would much prefer an undiluted Immortal game, or even a tough start on Emperor. IMHO, It's more satisfying to win on a lower level but without these heavy starting advantages.

I too would have a go at Diety, but I'd prefer something less. GOTM8 was my first solo Monarch game, GOTM9 my first emperor, and GOTM10 my first immortal. This process has improved my play quite a lot, and I actually won GOTM8 and GOTM10, and I'm grateful for that improvement, but I think I've reached the limit of useful stretching for the moment! Still, if it's diety, I'll have a go, at the very least.

Jorunkun said:

I definitely agree with this. Winning on emperor with a tough starting location would be a lot more satisfying than winning on deity with all kinds of bonuses.

First ever game at this level and first post on the spoilers! Lost space race to Catherine (and to be honest was still some way behind on Tech). Good learning experience though. I took Hatty's workers early but just could not overcome the early disadvantages and although I kept Egypt down the gap was too much when I did start chasing the Civs in techs. It did show however that even when a long way behind a human player can rapidly make up ground on the AI's.

Yeesh... abandoned military to go for diplo. Built UN with no problem, but Cathy and Huayna were damn near married by then (and had a defensive pact so I really couldn't take them on). No way to break up their voting block. Ghendis and Hatty wouldn't vote for me. Understandable since I had relegated them to a few island cities each. Cyrus was my pal, but we didn't have enough votes.

So, I did it the slow way, farming over every tile and building a fleet to take Ghengis' and Hatty's few remaining island cities. Took forever to grow enough population to finish, diplo win in 1830. :ack:

Should have stuck with a military goal, would have finished 100 years earlier.

The-Hawk said:
Yeesh... abandoned military to go for diplo. Built UN with no problem, but Cathy and Huayna were damn near married by then (and had a defensive pact so I really couldn't take them on). No way to break up their voting block. Ghendis and Hatty wouldn't vote for me. Understandable since I had relegated them to a few island cities each. Cyrus was my pal, but we didn't have enough votes. So, I did it the slow way, farming over every tile and building a fleet to take Ghengis' and Hatty's few remaining island cities. Took forever to grow enough population to finish, diplo win in 1830. :ack:

Funny, it seems we had a very similar endgame; Cyrus a weak ally, Cat and HC in a defensive pact. One thing I learned from this game is to keep an eye out early for civs with the same favorite civic (like HC and Cat), because its very likely that they will wind up in some sort of alliance.

I apologise if this has already been covered but I scanned other threads and could not find definate confirmation.

The "GOTM 10 - Please Read" thread, is it referring to the Flood Plains / Hills on Treasure Island?

thanks

Jorunkun said:
One thing I learned from this game is to keep an eye out early for civs with the same favorite civic (like HC and Cat), because its very likely that they will wind up in some sort of alliance.

Yes, this was huge. I was kissing their rings all game, but never able to become as friendly as they were with each other. Once I had UN, I forced them to switch to Univ Suff so they lost the civics plusses. However, by then they had their pact, so they remained soul mates.

Top Bottom